18s on a CX-5

Yup, TPMS has no idea and doesn't care what tires you have.... only thing that matters is that all four are the same. All it does is look for one wheel spinning at a different speed than the others.

I found out the "Crosstek CUV" is sold only through certain stores... BigO, NTW. They have similar lines for other distributors. Seems a little odd, but they have multiple exclusive lines. The one I got is called the NT850+

The reason tire manufacturers have "exclusive" lines is because large retail chains want a tire they can add higher mark-up to and not be undercut by a competitor offering the same tire at a lower price. These tires are generally of mediocre quality (or worse) with their best attributes often being cost and long life at the expense of poor traction and steering response. I avoid all tires that are only available at a specific retailer.

The reason tire manufacturers have "exclusive" lines is because large retail chains want a tire they can add higher mark-up to and not be undercut by a competitor offering the same tire at a lower price. These tires are generally of mediocre quality (or worse) with their best attributes often being cost and long life at the expense of poor traction and steering response. I avoid all tires that are only available at a specific retailer.

This applies to alot of retailer specials, also known as "warehouse specials". They do this often with electronics as well.
But, I don't think it is fair to lump them all into a negative quality category. To be fair, some of these items are worth looking at. Certainly worth consideration.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sparco Assetto Gara's 18x8 45mm offset, 20.1lbs with 235/60R-18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia's 29lbs.

I took it for a quick spin up to highway speeds to check for shakes and shimmies, tested good. I will let you know about peppiness, regarding the lighter wheels.

Last edited:
They don't make different lines so they can sell inferior product. With the Nitto tires I referenced, the quality is the same according to their tech support, and the warranty and specs are the same. They want exclusive lines for marketing advantages of the retailers, making it more difficult or impossible to cross shop, price match, etc. That's hardly a new or unique concept, but I don't recall so much of this practice with the traditional big names. With most tires I have bought in years past, it was the same tire in all stores... Goodyear Eagle, Cooper Cobra, Uniroyal Tigerpaw, Michelin MxV4, etc.

Nitto even has multiple websites... so you can't get a full list of their own product in one place. I don't know if this is normal, but to me it was a little odd to see the extent of their fractured lines.

18x8 Sparco Assetto Gara's with 235/60R-18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia.

I took it for a quick spin up to highway speeds to check for shakes and shimmies, tested good. I will let you know about peppiness, regarding the lighter wheels.

Looks good! Weight? Are those 40mm offset? Any pics from the back?

Last edited:
They don't make different lines so they can sell inferior product.

Where did you get that idea? No one said anything about making inferior products.

It's about profit margins on the high volume tires (which are not the premium models, the high volume sellers are in the mid to low price categories).

Tires are important to me so, whether it's about my cars or my performance motorcycles, I am generally looking at the premium lines that are generally not offered exclusively to individual retailers like Les Schwab.

Good looking wheels. I guess it's not too remarkable that they look similar to my OZ Alleggerita's (considering that OZ engineered them). And a loss of 9 lbs. per wheel? That's excellent!

I guess the weight savings is significant in both the tire and the wheel when moving from 19" to 18" wheels.

After you get them installed, let us know if you notice a little more peppiness from having less rotational inertia.

After 10 miles of city driving I have come to the conclusion that I can feel the difference at first acceleration and especially while coasting in gear. It seems as though the car is pulling slightly harder at idle in stop and go traffic requiring more braking.

I got to say, I am not totally convinced that shaving 9 lbs a wheel 36lbs total could make any difference. That is like a person that is 36lbs lighter getting better zero to 60 time. Or dumping a spare tire would make a difference in the cars peppiness. Perhaps I am wrong and you are correct. No question you can feel a difference in your car from being almost empty on fuel vs a when you fill it up......so I suppose it could be????

Oh and by the way the wheels look great Booper. I like how you put the Mazda logo on the wheel to give it a factory look.

I got to say, I am not totally convinced that shaving 9 lbs a wheel 36lbs total could make any difference. That is like a person that is 36lbs lighter getting better zero to 60 time.
Wheel weight makes a bigger difference than is immediately apparent to most people because there is (in addition to the actual weight) something called rotational inertia. Whenever the vehicle changes speed the mass of the wheels must be moved IN ADDITION, the wheels must be spun to the new speed. Picture a wheel on a wheel stand that is spun up to 60 mph using a stationary bicycle with a chain and sprocket and appropriate gearing. Worked up a sweat, didn't you? Now, put on a leather glove and bring the car tire from 60mph to a stop in 10 or 20 seconds. What happens? Oh, the leather glove got hot and burned you? That heat represents the amount of energy it took to get the tire spinning. On a car, multiply that times 4 (four wheels to spin up). Now do this a hundred times a day to simulate normal traffic. Yes, lighter wheels save quite a bit of energy.

Physics was never my best subject. Thanks for the explanation Mike. At the end of the day weight savings is a big part of Skyactiv technology.

Had my 18s on for a week, and I'm pretty much convinced that Mazda would sell more of these things if they used a lighter wheel and a little stickier tire. Going from the Geolanders on the stock 17s to Eagle GTs on a lighter 18" wheel feels like changing from winter tires to summers. Handling and ride improved, maybe a little quieter. No noticeable change in MPG so far (I'm still using 225s).

My CX-5 with new Enkei M52's...

Hey, I live in Tampa and I was wondering where you got your tires from? Also, how are you liking them after having them on for awhile? Any loss in mpg? I have a set of rx8 18's that I'm thinking about putting on the cx5 and it sounds like you found the perfect tire. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Had my 18s on for a week, and I'm pretty much convinced that Mazda would sell more of these things if they used a lighter wheel and a little stickier tire. Going from the Geolanders on the stock 17s to Eagle GTs on a lighter 18" wheel feels like changing from winter tires to summers. Handling and ride improved, maybe a little quieter. No noticeable change in MPG so far (I'm still using 225s).

Sticky all-seasons 18's make sense for enthusiasts.

Unfortunately for the typical consumer (which makes up most of the market), It wouldn't get the styling points of the 19's, nor would it get that +1 highway gas mileage from LRTires that manufacturers and consumers strive for.

Sticky all-seasons 18's make sense for enthusiasts.

Unfortunately for the typical consumer (which makes up most of the market), It wouldn't get the styling points of the 19's, nor would it get that +1 highway gas mileage from LRTires that manufacturers and consumers strive for.

True.

Back