engine remove/ replace

sparkstyl

:
02 P5
Hello all,

Im new to the Mazda community with my resent purchase of a 2002 Protege5 with manual trans. Unfortunately it has a motor that burns a quart of oil every 200 miles so its got to go.

I have read that its hard to get the clutch to line up with the trans while putting in the mew motor. Whats the best way to remove the engine in this car? I seen post about taking the motor and trans out at the same time. They talk about putting pvc pipe in where the axles so the diff doesnt drop as its an open diff. What size (diameter) of pvc pipe is needed?

Thanks every one.

Tyler S.

When we swapped my first engine - we took it out as a pair (engine/trans). Mine was ATX, but it's all the same for removal.

Also - when I removed the ATX and swapped it for the MX6 MTX - I just dropped the ATX alone. I had to remove all the mounts (engine and trans) and hold the engine up with a jack, while trying to scoot it as far toward the passenger side of the car as possible. That allowed for removal of the ATX and placement of the MTX.

As far as the open diff - I actually stuck a piece of waterhose from my home (the basic green waterhose) to hold it while I had the engine/trans out. left those in place until the axles were ready to be put back in.

Thanks for the reply.

So the part that goes in the diff isnt that big. The garden hose sounds good to use. Thanks for the advice.

I would say that the tool that Mazda sell would be the way to go but Im not going to be taking my engine in and out all the time so screw driver/ garden hose it is.

So i take it the best way to get the engine out is with the trany as well?

Thanks all.

They make a clutch alignment tool. Its like $7 bux at Mazda or included in any clutch kit out there. It makes it easy peazy to install the trans to the engine.

For removing the engine, yes, easiest is just removing the engine and trans together. Just pull the axles, and unhook the shifter linkage from the trans. Then unhook all the hoses and electrical and yank.

Because if the clutch isnt aligned perfectly straight, the trans wont mount properly against the motor. Its really the only issue you could have mounting up the trans at all is if you didnt use one. Otherwise it goes on pretty effortlessly.

O ok I thought you knew something I didn't, I've always used the alignment tools so I don't know how hard it is to line it up by eye

Thankfully I'll be getting one of those tools as I'm putting in a new clutch with the engine swap. Im also putting full AWR motor mounts, cant wait till the engine is broken in and i can have some fun.

Hope going fast isn't your kinda fun, the fsde doesn't know what power is without a turbo to teach it.

Hope going fast isn't your kinda fun, the fsde doesn't know what power is without a turbo to teach it.

LOL no this will just be a daily driver/ fun car for some time. I will be putting cold air intake and catback exhaust soon. The most I would to to this engine is cams. Maybe in the future if I still have her then maybe a turbo.

Back