Xpel Paint protection film

thanew

:
2013 CX-5 Pearl White FWD Sport
Hi! (2thumbs)

I am looking at getting some paint protection film since I was pretty unlucky with my previous car with bouncing rocks on the freeway chipping paint (and hitting my windshield)! I was quoted $650 to have the film installed on the front end (covers the fenders/qtr panels and hood), which looking at it, seems like a pretty fair deal just in terms of protection. The one concern I did have was that they had mentioned that some of the films do require quite a bit of upkeep in order to ward off staining/it turning a yellowish tint, so before I dove in I wanted to check to see if any of you had any experience with using any of these paint protection films. Any feedback you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

The film I am looking at getting installed is Xpel:

Definitely not a waste of money if you do the install yourself. I bought the 3M VentureShield installed it myself in 3 hours or so. Months later it has saved me from many little stone chips that I simply wiped off the film with no damage underneath. Some of these "certified film installers" want crazy amounts of money for installing these films. Really ridiculous, wasn't about to pay $500 or more to have them install this.

I put up some pictures in this thread

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816886-CX-5-Clear-Bra-anyone/page4

Last edited:
My fog light lenses were broken and scratched within a few years of buying
my Protege. When I replaced them several years ago I got the protective film and
haven't had a crack since.
There is a member who sold them for a long time here - Barry - member name is jackelope - not sure if he is still around on this forum.

Definitely not a waste of money if you do the install yourself. I bought the 3M VentureShield installed it myself in 3 hours or so. Months later it has saved me from many little stone chips that I simply wiped off the film with no damage underneath. Some of these "certified film installers" want crazy amounts of money for installing these films. Really ridiculous, wasn't about to pay $500 or more to have them install this.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123816886-CX-5-Clear-Bra-anyone/page4

Well if it works as good as you say it does....go for it

thanks for the info! I'll look at the 3M a bit more. I was definitely going to put the 3M on my bumper since i did run into some problems with that on my last car with it getting scratched moving cargo in and out.

Definitely not a waste of money if you do the install yourself.

If you plan on keeping the car a long time and drive where a lot of stuff gets kicked up it isn't even a waste of money to pay someone to do it. It can be very expensive to pay someone, I got a quote of around $750 which was more than I wanted to spend but the stuff is really amazing. I've had it on areas of 2 of our cars and it made a world of difference. I did the two other cars but it was just small flat areas on those. A good quality paint job to fix the chips later would cost more and then it would just chip again.

Back