2012 Mazda5 Front Windshield Wipers - motor whine!

mether

:
2012 Mazda5
Just wondering, do all the front wipers have a motor "whine"? Mine sounds bad! The dealer said it was the wiper blades and put a new set on - yeah, that didn't work! The noise drives me crazy at a stop light or around town. Can't hear it at highway speeds though. Maybe that's the answer I need to drive faster! :)
Maybe worth having it checked at first servicing.

Two guesses: you just bought the car and you haven't bought many new cars? I used to notice everything on new cars.

It's normal.

Have you tried any windshield treatment like RainX on it? I'll guess like Robotaz said, it's new. The pressure of the wiper arm's springs might be a little much for the new wiper blades. So, I suppose that RainX might help the rubber glide better on the W/S surface.

Normal huh? okay, never had wipers sound that way before! I've always been a Dodge guy, well Caravan's anyway, with a Nissan thrown in there.

I may run them with the blades up and see if it's still loud. And yes, it's been 7 years since my last new car :) and yes I listen for everything - can be painful, can't help it.

Normal huh? okay, never had wipers sound that way before! I've always been a Dodge guy, well Caravan's anyway, with a Nissan thrown in there.

I may run them with the blades up and see if it's still loud. And yes, it's been 7 years since my last new car :) and yes I listen for everything - can be painful, can't help it.

On my 2005 Chrysler T&C that I had - and remember the wipers open and close a-la Honda Civic - they were pretty quiet actually, I think that transmission setup where the wipers open in opposing fashion is just quieter by design. When I bought my Mazda5 the wipers were almost silent, but after a couple rainstorms, and as you can imagine, wiper quality probably isn't on the manufacturer's "buy the best you can find" list, they are now making noise, even a little chatter. Easy fix. Like the other guy said, get you some RainX or similar silicon anti-rain mumbo-jumbo, follow directions on bottle, and voila! You'll have at least a week (depending on how much you run your wipers) of quiet wiping. Also, to help keep the coating, I use the RainX orange windshield washer fluid (do not mix it with the blue stuff, that actually takes the coating off) and invest in a good set, RainX makes decent wipers, stay away from Anco's. I've also had Goodyears. Problem with most of these is that when you connect the wiper to the arm on the vehicle, it never looks like OEM, it just doesn't flow, the wipers look so aftermarketish. I found the RainX wipers try to help make the wiper itself blend in with the arm so it doesn't stand out so much.

Oh, make sure you get beam blade wipers, that's pretty standard now-a-days but every once in a while I see the old metal frame wipers on ppls cars, the kind that freeze up in a snow storm... I figure their last name is probably Daisy.

Last edited:
I think what I have is not the blades etc..., I took the wipers off the windshield to see if it still made noise and YES it did and just as loud! No amount of RainX will fix that! LOL thanks though. And yes beam wipers for snow areas, works very well. Merry Christmas everyone!

The only car I have ever driven that the wipers didn't make a peep (in this case, WIPER because it only had one big one) was a Benz E class, it was also rain-sensing. They engineer even the wiper motor with the noise in mind. Not so much on a $21k car I guess. Get a louder sound system. LoL That's what I'm doing this summer.

Back