replaced radiator, body screws issues

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I replaced my radiator without any major issues. I needed to get a bunch of new screws to hold the radiator fans in place.
The main problem was when I removed the plastic panel below the radiator on the passenger side. There are 5 bolts, 3 under the front bumper and two in the wheel well. Four of the five bolts broke during removal. The bolts for the plastic panel are the same size as the radiator fan shroud bolts.

I'm guessing the fastest way to remove the broken bolts is to drill them out. I don't know if it is worth using a broken screw/bolt extractor because those are one-time use and I have four to remove. They are pretty small bolts and thread directly into nuts welded to the body.

Last edited:
One or two of those screws always end up breaking when I pull those plastic shrouds off. I figure if I break that many Im just not going to worry about putting it back on haha but honestly maybe just some self tapping screws to put a couple right next to where the old ones were? Or drill a couple new holes and put bolts/nuts through by yourself and just leave the factory spots be? Just my .02 on how I would do it. Hopefully its a little helpful.

I think I want to put this one back on. The plastic piece I took off shields up the engine bay from the right wheel well. So, I want to prevent major splashing onto the accessory belts on that side.
Thanks.

I think I want to put this one back on. The plastic piece I took off shields up the engine bay from the right wheel well. So, I want to prevent major splashing onto the accessory belts on that side.
Thanks.

I had the exact same problem, just 2 years or so after i bought the car new...those crappy chassis screws rust up so fast, its almost guaranteed they'll need replaced each time you mess with them...

Yeah, you'll need to drill them out most likely...I've seen some craftsman screw removers that are not one time use though...you chisel the screw head off and use the extractors... its just a drill bit with a very hard diamond tip hex that will eat the rusted screw stud alive (it either digs in and 'grabs' it for thicker screws, or simply mulches them into dust)...the kit i saw includes chasers to then thread into the holes and clean them up...

but, for the record...I have left the exact splash guard you are talking about off my car for over 8 years...not a single problem...I'm working in and under the car so often i simply didn't want to bother removing that damn thing all the time...So if you don't get around to removing those broken screws, you're still going to be fine most likely...I just replaced belts for the very first time at 155,000 miles...then just pulled the crank pulley off and installed a udp...all of which have been 'exposed' for most of the cars life...in tons of rain and snow...the factory crank pulley still looks brand new...I think that stuff is going to get wet even with the guard there anyway...

Back