UREGNT:Certified 2010 Mazda 3 GX:Should I get the extended warranty and rustproofing?

replik

**** URGENT *****

Hi all,

I have never owned a Mazda and so I would like to hear from owners if you have a couple of minutes to spare and share your experience.

Just came back from the dealer and purchased a certified Mazda 2010 GX with 78,000 KM.
The dealer wants to sell me rustproofing for 350$ and an extended warranty (3 years/60km) for 1800$. The price of the car is roughly 11,000 $CAN.
Because the mileage is quite high, I am thinking about getting the warranty. But on the other hand, it is certified so I suppose that the components have been verified and I have a good chance of not encountering any issues.
Plus, the powertrain warranty is still valid until 140K/7 years.

Is it worth getting the extended warranty in your opinion? Did you have a lot of issues with yours?
I have heard that Mazda cars had major premature rust issues in the past. Is it still a major problem on newer models?
I have also heard that Mazda will try to find loopholes with the extended warranty.
Finally, what is the average cost of repairs? I used to own a jetta and from eperience, the maintenance costs are very high and a repair can easily cost around 500$ (parts and labor).

Any advice would be much appreciated!!! I am returning to the dealer tomorrow with final decision.

Thank you in advance for your help !

Last edited:
Rustproofing, do they reapply every year? Mazdas seem to be rust prone in the east coast, I'd do it.

Warranty seems like a lot however. The car is still covered under bumper to bumper for another 1,500km. I had my Mazda 5 until 180,000km and didn't have anything that wasn't considered user wear that broke down. Buy a CEL scanner instead and find a good mechanic.

Rustproofing, do they reapply every year? Mazdas seem to be rust prone in the east coast, I'd do it.

Warranty seems like a lot however. The car is still covered under bumper to bumper for another 1,500km. I had my Mazda 5 until 180,000km and didn't have anything that wasn't considered user wear that broke down. Buy a CEL scanner instead and find a good mechanic.

Hi DKaz !

Thanks for your input! The rustproof offered by the dealer is a 1 time treatment that is garanteed for 5 years. I have read many forums and decided it is not worth it as it covers "perforation" not surface rust which is more common.
Wow, I am surprised by the reliability your mazda5. That is amazing !

By the way, if you find a mecanic, is it necessary to purchase your own CEL scanner? Sorry, perhaps it's a newbie question.

Thanks again.
David

Back