VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seatbelt does not latch into seatbelt buckle on driver side

2002 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
    This weekend I spayed some WD40 into the belt buckle. Unfortunately, the belt did not latch into the buckle. Does anyone else have any other recommendations? Would it be easier for me to get this changed at a mechanic rather than do it myself? And if so, how much do you think this would cost?

Thanks!
    Yes, it is easier for you to get it changed.
    1. seat removal. There will be plastic covers over the seat bolts. Pop them out with a screwdriver. Slide seat back and then remove the front two bolts. Silde the seat forward and then remove the back two bolts.
    2. unplug the seat belt sensor socket.
    3. remove the seat from the car
    4. remove old seat belt buckle, see whatusername post
    5. put in new seat belt buckle
    6. put seat back into car.
    7. plug in seat belt sensor.
    8. seat install. position seat bracket over holes and put rear bolts back in. Slide the seat back. put front bolts back in. Replace seat bolt plastic caps.

Registered Member

2015 Mazda 6

Happened to me as well, replacement took about 15 minutes. It's a safety item, so spend the money to get a brand new one.

Registered Member

'01 Pro ES

Bump from the graveyard for my input...

The driver's side seatbelt receiver was sticking in my Protege so I took it apart to fix it. The receiver is (probably intentionally) not designed to be taken apart and put back together. The two plastic halves of the cover are bonded together. They can be separated with a flathead screwdriver, but this does break the bond between the two halves. While they stick together ok for now after reassembly, they will have to be glued together. The latching mechanism needed to be lubricated and works fine now. However, I would not do this again for liability reasons, though I'm certain the repair was done correctly and the receiver is perfectly safe to use.

If I had to do it again, I would try 1) spraying silicone lubricant into the receiver or 2) replacing the receiver with a new unit from onlinemazdaparts.com.

Hey! I know this is an old post, but I found it searching online and I figured many others are too for a similar issue so I wanted to mentioned that you can avoid spending money on repair shops and parts and use a service like this https://www.safetyrestore.com/seat-b...lt-repair.html which would solve this issue and keep a few extra bucks in your pocket . Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Mazda, Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Installshield 2 View Post
    My neighbor had a P5 that was doing this exact same thing recently...we replaced it easily, but he hit a deer and totalled the car just a few days later (sucks as he was going to buy some parts from me haha)...
    never a good time to hit a deer, but after you fix your seatbelt is definitely better than before...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12