Please Help!!!!!

Mazdacoy

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5 hatchback
I have a 2002 protege 5 hatchback automatic/auto manual(triptronic) and it has been an awesome car running awesome and has been maintained thoroughly I have a book of receipts. Most recently a new head&gasket, header gasket, radiator, waterpump&thermostat transmission safety switch, battery and starter, etc.... And yesterday after it was running off and on all day I came out and the engine will not turn over at all. I do hear clicking coming from around the shifter area (P,D,R,1,2) everything electronically works radio, lights, blinkers high beams etc... Just will not turn over, only get clicking sound from that area. I did try and jump the car although the battery is brand new and same thing happened....nothing. Starter has a little more than 8 volts going to it with the key in the on position. All fuses are perfectly fine including those on the drivers side engine compartment. As you can see I have exhausted all options and I'm at a complete loss here I thought I understood cars pretty good as I was a mechanic 12 years ago but things have changed drastically since then and I am stumped!! It seems like some on this site are very knowledgable in these cars and so I decided to post this here. Any help is appreciated.

Back