Suspension noises

cbea1124

:
02 Mazda Protege5
Hi,

I have a 02 P5 hatchback....

1st noise- when i back out of my driveway to get on road slowly I hear clinking noise...

2nd noise- when im driving about 5-20 miles and i go over a crack or smal pothole on road...or parking area...i hear a thump...would this mean I need new struts, mounts???

Any ideas wooul be appreciated. Thnx

Most likely the end links. Happens to a lot of them. If it sounds like a metal clunking sound. Def check the seals on them. Mine actually just went a few weeks ago. There is a upgrade to them as well with replacing them with ones for a Ford Escape. Youll be able to find that thread in here.

parts it could be...end links, like mentioned...Front ball joints, front or rear strut tower mounts, even struts possibly...

I doubt the struts though...they'll usually stay silent even when failing, but you'll notice a ton of bounce on normal bumps...and the car will sort of 'shutter' if that makes sense, as there is no damping at that location.

end links is most likely it, but while you're checking them, might as well check the ball joints too...if the boot is all chewed up and the grease is gone, its something to put on your list for the future...

Digging through the shed yesterday i found a P5 end link (NIB) - if you need it - PM me. I will go back and get the p/n off it (to see if it is front or rear).

Back