P5 likely totaled. How much to expect?

nek0

I hit a deer a week ago which hit the driver side headlight, hood then my windshield which is completely smashed. I'm lucky the deer (huge buck!) didn't come through.

Just being impatient as I wait for the insurance company to determine if the damage is enough to total; the agent thinks so given the damage and it'll likely meet the threshold.

- Auto, '02 P5
- 145,000 miles
- Driver side headlight gone
- Hood is dented all over on driver side
- Driver side mirror is gone
- Windshield is smashed
- Radiator bent & support is bent in a bit
- Had two car seats (not sure if they'll add this but the agnet did want receipts)
- Remote start installed
- Also the engine was replaced at 123,000 with a 75,000 mile two years ago

What do you think? If they do total it what should I expect to get back? I hope around $2k at least unless I'm way off...will be getting a SUV this time as our family is growing!

Last edited:
Picture for reference...

PxfgK.jpg

Although it looks repairable, the cost to repair may far exceed the market value of the car. I had a co-worker with a MSP that got similar front end damage. It wasn't deemed totaled. However, since the cost of a carbon fiber hood was actually cheaper than a steel hood, He asked if they would let him get a carbon fibre hood and they approved.

in 2009 I hit a deer in a very similar way, only big difference being the deer never hit the windsheild.

Mine ended up not being totaled. Cost of repairs was right around $3,000. My adjuster told me most will incorrectly correlate air bag deployment with 'irreversible damage'...and that had my bags gone off, they probably would have just totaled up the car value then and there...so if your air bags did not go off, there is a chance they'll go ahead and fix it...

the deer i hit was smaller than what you hit it appears...and the deer took out the 'lower' parts of the front. My front bumper cover was completely destroyed, both upper and lower grills, drivers side fender, hood, radiator and radiator support...all needed replaced. The deer hit the drivers side headlight and fog light, but the way the bracket snapped it destroyed the passenger side light too...cracked it right out of the car. So while i didn't need the windshield, i did need the bumper and fender, as well as 3 lights...

I was probably going about 50 mph when i hit it. Was on a highway lined with Corn stalks to the right, and it was around 9 pm at night in october. I barely lifted my foot of the gas when it jumped from the corn, but was traveling slower as its an area known for hitting deer.
it'll be close, thats all i know...good luck man.

Last edited:
"Looks" very repairable. I'd just slap a new hood on from a part yard (or make one myself with fiberglass) and a toss a new light on it...

Depending on if you still wanted the car / your level of handimanship.

Thanks guys; the agent just called and is totaled. I'll know tomorrow as far as how much they'll offer. Will post up later for final outcome!

You should buy it back from them on the cheap and fix it a little at a time while driving the SUV.

I'd keep it but it's too small for our use now (have two little ones) and not sure if it has to do with the warmer winter but an encounter with deer is too frequent. I clipped a deer just a month ago prior to totaling the car.

I'll post the results so others can know how much to expect; at least with my car's condition.

Start looking for similar cars for sale in your area and print out ads. Also remember you don't have to accept their first offer.

I'd keep it but it's too small for our use now (have two little ones).
I meant for a second vehicle that would be better on gas or something to be a play toy while still having the family sized vehicle you mentioned getting.

Well my wife has a Jeep already and won't need a third. Space is a bit limited in our driveway anyway.

So it was totaled, got around $3,800 back after $500 deductible. Separately to that I got some money back for the two car seats that were installed during the crash. Didn't want to take any chance with them so they were willing to give me additional for that.

What they told me is that because of the impact on the lower windshield it also damaged the console which is one big piece that cost a lot to replace. I've never seen a report this big though; practically had everything covered including the fender, the side blinker, wiring, this and that.

Well my wife has a Jeep already and won't need a third. Space is a bit limited in our driveway anyway.

So it was totaled, got around $3,800 back after $500 deductible. Separately to that I got some money back for the two car seats that were installed during the crash. Didn't want to take any chance with them so they were willing to give me additional for that.

What they told me is that because of the impact on the lower windshield it also damaged the console which is one big piece that cost a lot to replace. I've never seen a report this big though; practically had everything covered including the fender, the side blinker, wiring, this and that.

Should have gotten a little more back........ Dealers around here are pricing them at 6500 for that many miles and it appeared to be in decent condition. I would've pushed them to fix it or give me more money back from it.

I hit a deer a week ago which hit the driver side headlight, hood then my windshield which is completely smashed. I'm lucky the deer (huge buck!) didn't come through.

Just being impatient as I wait for the insurance company to determine if the damage is enough to total; the agent thinks so given the damage and it'll likely meet the threshold.

- Auto, '02 P5
- 145,000 miles
- Windshield is smashed
- Had two car seats (not sure if they'll add this but the agnet did want receipts)
- Remote start installed

What do you think? If they do total it what should I expect to get back? I hope around $2k at least unless I'm way off...will be getting a SUV this time as our family is growing!

Well,
I may need a motor. Will know by the end of the week. send me a private message if you are interested in selling the motor. Thanks.
Stick.

- Auto, '02 P5
- 145,000 miles
- Windshield is smashed
- Remote start installed

I have headlights and bumper skins are easy to find for cheap..

It may be very easy to make that car look normal and work normal again.

fuel sending unit??????

Well,
I may need a motor. Will know by the end of the week. send me a private message if you are interested in selling the motor. Thanks.
Stick.

I am looking for a fuel sending unit on that car. let me know if you will work with me. Thanks

Back