Phantom Hazard Lights/Switch

GadgetGuy

I have a 2009 Mazda5. Twice in the past week, the hazard lights have turned themselves on in the middle of the night. The weirdest part is, on both occasions the Hazard Switch on the dashboard itself is pushed in.

Am I crazy, or is it possible that something causes the switch to engage by itself? It is a pretty "soft" button that doesn't have a positive click. And on both occasions I have had others with me when I left the car, the doors were locked, and then a few hours later my neighbor knocks on my door because my flashers are on. I then unlock my doors, sit in the car, and un-press the button.

More info - Hazards were used earlier in the day, but turned off

Do you or your SO sleepwalk?

haha - no, that's not the answer.

But I was talking with my wife and we realized that on both days, she had used the hazard lights earlier that day. But I guarantee you that the hazards were turned off hours before they turned themselves back on. Remember that I said how the switch itself isn't very definitive in its on/off position; do you think it's possible that she partially turned off the switch - enough to turn it off electrically (so the blinking stopped) but maybe the physical button wasn't entirely "out"? Then a few hours later, it slipped back into the depressed position?

This sounds like a stretch to me, but I can't think of anything else. I mean, it's just a friggin switch! I have difficulty believing that user error is the problem here....

haha - no, that's not the answer.

But I was talking with my wife and we realized that on both days, she had used the hazard lights earlier that day. But I guarantee you that the hazards were turned off hours before they turned themselves back on. Remember that I said how the switch itself isn't very definitive in its on/off position; do you think it's possible that she partially turned off the switch - enough to turn it off electrically (so the blinking stopped) but maybe the physical button wasn't entirely "out"? Then a few hours later, it slipped back into the depressed position?

This sounds like a stretch to me, but I can't think of anything else. I mean, it's just a friggin switch! I have difficulty believing that user error is the problem here....

This sounds somewhat plausible to me. Thinking about my own button, it engages and disengages quite well and noticeably, so maybe that is the issue.

Instead of mice, you have gremlins living in your car? J/K.

Does sound like a faulty switch. Why not disconnect it for a few days and see if it happens again. I'd freaked out if it does...

Same problem for us tonite. Looked out the window to see our 5's hazards flashing and interior lights on. Doors were closed and car locked. Weird. Button appeared to be depressed. Hit the button and the lights turned off. How can this happen?

Anyone have any insight into this. The switch is $150+ up here in Canada so not something I'm just going to try out.

Does anybody know where the hazard flasher is located on this vehicle. I have seem some talk of it being built into the Body Control Module but not sure if this applies specifically to a 2008 M5.

Replacing the flasher (if possible) is likely a good place to start. However, if that doesn’t solve the problem has anybody had any luck opening up the switch and actually repairing it as opposed to forking out $$$ for a new switch?

I have looked at the fuse block under the hood and none of the relays etc. in there are marked flasher or hazard. There is a 10A fuse under there for the hazards but that checks out fine.

The clicking/blinking noise, when the hazards are activated, sounds like its coming from right up under the dash, above the pedals, behind the instrument cluster.

If when you get in it in the morning, and a voice say's "GETT OUTTT" ... I wouldn't drive it that day.

I agree with silentnoise, I would also guess the switch. There is a mechanism that locks it on or off, it might not be cycling correctly - it cycles off, but may just drop back down to on. I took apart a similar switch that had a pushbutton off/on - it wouldn't work all the time, no-way to fix unless the grease is old and just needs relubing

Weird. I have a malfunctioning hazard switch in the 2010 Mazda 5. It was working here and there. I was trying it yesterday and it wasn't working at all but today I came out to the car and the lights were blinking and the switch pressed in. I swear I left the switch off.

Time to take it apart and see if anything is obvious. Dang thing is $85 even discounted online.

Time to take it apart and see if anything is obvious. Dang thing is $85 even discounted online.
Could you report back when you're done with a short write-up on how to remove it? Mine has been acting up (2009 GT) and I'm hoping there's a way to get it out without pulling the stereo.

Will try to do. I saw a vid of a stereo removal and I think this top panel comes out first...so might be easy.

Ahhh...fun fun. Gotta love having to disassemble half the interior to get to a switch.

Looks like I'm going to just buy the switch module and replace it. I don't need to do this twice.

I ordered C307-66-170C. It is for Stability Control only.

Did all 2010s come with Stability Control? The brochure for 2010 says it's standard even on the Sport. I have a Sport with manual and no apparent options.

-Mike

Ok, so yes, the car has Stability Control there is a button in that module for it.

Swapped it in. It took about an hour. That video made it fairly easy. You don't have to pull the stereo...just get it to slide forward a bit.

I took the old switch module apart.

One of the internal mounts had broken. Obviously and only could be done at the factory who made the module. How do I know? Because the screw wouldn't thread out like the other one.

Mazda needs to source better electronic parts. I have fixed the dreaded AUX port problem, the power port next to it and now this.

There was an odd copper wire "hook" poking out of the hazard switch. See pics.

Taking apart the switch yeilded nothing other than several tiny parts falling on the floor and now in my vacuum cleaner.

So final analysis...just buy the module and replace it.

Pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back