2012 5 Sport Radio Upgrade

jody7734

:
2012 Mazda 5 Sport
Looking for Nav unit with backup cam swap. Has anyone used the PAC unit to retain steering wheel controls and the OEM display. I'm wondering what dislays on the OEM display from the PAC / head unit. I also read that the 2012 5 doesn't have the reverse signal, so I'm wondering how to get the backup cam to come on when the car is put in reverse. Anybody figured this all out? Is the Metra or Scosche faceplate better?

Thanks.

I've never installed a backup camera but I would guess if the car doesn't come with one from factory (or in this case it's not even available) an aftermarket system would use a lead that gets spliced to the reverse lights, when the ckt closes and the module detects a change in logic from a 0 to a 1 (whatever the voltage is) it will activate the camera. I install audio systems so that would make the most logical sense to me.

I have been thinking about replacing the audio system in my new 2012 Mazda5 Sport as well. I checked with my local BestBuy, and while they identified Metra and Scosche faceplates, they could not identify complete wiring harnesses and thus refused to take on the project.

I like the OEM look and do not really want to use a standard double-DIN headend unit with a faceplate. There are many Chinese manufacturers that have OEM-style units for the Mazda 5, and one is available on https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)for $495 including shipping from China. I corresponded with the seller and they confirmed that this package has a complete plug-and-play wiring harness, including the steering wheel control. They also said that the unit includes a CANBUS connection and uses this to feed the radio station information to the digital display on the Mazda5 dash. I found an option for a $358 including shipping from a seller who takes Paypal, but product ships from China and the seller is in South Africa. The unit is WinCE and includes a GPS but you have to acquire and install your own mapping software. I like the look of the products a different manufacturer, but while they have a model for the Mazda 3, they do not appear to have a model for the Mazda 5.

Does anyone have any experience with these Chinese-made OEM-like headend units?

I have been thinking about replacing the audio system in my new 2012 Mazda5 Sport as well. I checked with my local BestBuy, and while they identified Metra and Scosche faceplates, they could not identify complete wiring harnesses and thus refused to take on the project.

I like the OEM look and do not really want to use a standard double-DIN headend unit with a faceplate. There are many Chinese manufacturers that have OEM-style units for the Mazda 5, and one is available on https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)for $495 including shipping from China. I corresponded with the seller and they confirmed that this package has a complete plug-and-play wiring harness, including the steering wheel control. They also said that the unit includes a CANBUS connection and uses this to feed the radio station information to the digital display on the Mazda5 dash. I found an option for a $358 including shipping from a seller who takes Paypal, but product ships from China and the seller is in South Africa. The unit is WinCE and includes a GPS but you have to acquire and install your own mapping software. I like the look of the products a different manufacturer, but while they have a model for the Mazda 3, they do not appear to have a model for the Mazda 5.

Does anyone have any experience with these Chinese-made OEM-like headend units?

If I were you, I would scratch all that, keep the OEM as is, just get a small amp (like the Alpine Power Pack) and get rid of those poor excuses for speakers. Def get a subwoofer too, but I know the 5 is tight on space (unless you don't intend to use the 3rd row at all, then you have plenty of room to add stuff), in my case I don't have much room because I use the whole car, all 3 rows. I have been using crutchfield.com for years, I haven't had any probs with them. I am keeping my entire OEM audio system which looks pretty nice as is, i'm just upgrading the sound, since space is at a premium for me, I specifically asked for the SMALLEST amp they sell, one of them is the aforementioned Alpine power pack which I intend to get as soon as it warms up outside and I can Dynamat my metal panels.

The only problem with the 5's audio is the lack of a USB port for thumb drives, this seems to be an oversight since most auto manufacturers have been putting them in all their cars for the last couple of model years. But, there might be a audio/aux jack-to-USB thing out there, i'm just guessing here I haven't seen one but it's not too crazy to think that someone already invented something for this problem, like a dedicated USB MP3 player that plugs into a cig lighter for power and a audio/aux jack (which the 5 has) and you can use it like that, simply to read your sound files off of a thumb drive.

Other than that, from what I read in your post, you might be asking for some trouble, your dealing with a "mystery operation" somewhere in China and in S. Africa, what if you need tech support? What if the bezel doesn't quite fit right or snap into place?? Who do you call?? That's alot of money, all you need is an amp, maybe a cap if you want to stiffen your voltage supply, a sub and at least 4 decent speakers.

Ukulele, I share your concerns about the Chinese manufacturers. The sound in the stock Mazda5 certainly could be better. It would also be nice to play MP3 files from the in-dash audio system and not by fumbling with the tiny interface in the MP3 player (tough to do while driving...) What I was looking for primarily however was in-dash navigation and integrated bluetooth. You could certainly get all of this in a new head-end unit, but it will generally run $600 for something from Pioneer, JVC or Clarion. You would get support and a warranty, but these do not have the OEM look.

Ukulele, I share your concerns about the Chinese manufacturers. The sound in the stock Mazda5 certainly could be better. It would also be nice to play MP3 files from the in-dash audio system and not by fumbling with the tiny interface in the MP3 player (tough to do while driving...) What I was looking for primarily however was in-dash navigation and integrated bluetooth. You could certainly get all of this in a new head-end unit, but it will generally run $600 for something from Pioneer, JVC or Clarion. You would get support and a warranty, but these do not have the OEM look.

Well you could play songs from the dash using Bluetooth, that's why there's those up/down/next buttons assuming your MP3 player is Bluetooth enabled. On my cheapie Android I have limited controls as far as Pandora, alls I can really do is skip to the next song using either the steering wheel rocker switch, the next button on the console or if I turn the dial one notch clockwise. I'm sure with iPhone connected via Bluetooth playing from a playlist you can probably see the song names in the center readout, my brother works for Apple, I personally don't care for the iPhone.

I remember when aftermarket nav came out, the units were like $2000!! So $600 seems about right I guess considering they've been out for a while. I personally advise anyone NOT to get navigation built into the head unit... why? Because if for some reason you don't like the mapping software/engine, if you realize you don't like the look/feel of the maps, or if the maps just downright suck... your stuck with the entire head unit. On the other hand, if you buy a separate GPS unit, if you don't like it you can return it without having to leave a gaping whole in your dash. I guess you could always "try before you buy" at a local store or something.

I have heard of a product/company called Rosen, they supposedly make like high-end-looking OEM bezels for ppl that want to keep the OEM look but with an aftermarket head unit. Matter of fact I was at my Mazda dealer the other day, they had a poster up with Rosen stuff, I guess the dealer can install their products for Mazda customers that don't want to do it themselves. I just googled it, it's www.rosenentertainment.com

Whatever you decide to do, make sure you at least have a hotline that you can call if the stuff doesn't match-up or work, it would suck to spend all that money, get stuck, and not have a clear way to get to the manufacturer if you have a problem.

Oh wait.....LOLZZ you have a sport trim that doens't come with bluetooth! ah crap. I get it now. I remember when i was looking for a 5 I had a choice and I went with the Touring because it had Bluetooth capability. I also went with the Touring because it had fog lamps and leather wrapped steering wheel. I could have gotten a sport with the a/t for cheaper, and I could have also opted for the GT, but really the Touring had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't, with a 4 year old and another one that is due this month!! I can't stomach seeing my leather with baby vomit and french fries all over it... sorry LoL cloth was fine this time around.

Dude just eBay a Mazda touring headunit that has Bluetooth, i'm sure ppl on eBay have them on the cheap since alot of ppl install aftermarket and sell their factory head units practically brand new (bad idea if you ask me but whatever). Just have to make sure the connectors will fit, they probably will the only difference I would imagine is that the Touring radio has the Bluetooth circuitry.

Last edited:
Yes I'm regretting not getting the touring model, but the ex wife had just totaled our pacifica and the dealer didnt have any touring except black, in San Antonio sun black is not an option. I really need a backup cam because of the angle of my driveway and BT would be nice. I've already swaped the speakers and added an amp, I have 3 kids so I havent figuredout where to put a sub, I thought about run flats and ditching the spare to make room for a sub.

Ditching the spare is a capital idea for a sub, actually the only place to conceal one because there is no other place large enough. I was going to get a powered sub the kind with the connectors that you can detach at a moment's notice? Those work well, you can yank it out, move the sofa across town, then plug it back in again, the power and signal wires are all on the connector. As far as Bluetooth, like I said, if you compare the two factory head units you just might be able to do a direct swap for one that is Bluetooth enabled. As for the backup cam, you can get a wireless one but I have seen those, the picture is fuzzy, I guess due to RF interference. Best ones are wired, matter of fact i'm going to put one in after my audio upgrade.

As for the spare, you can "go Landrover" get that OEM mazda basket I saw for the roof rack, and put your spare up top. All you'll need are some safari hats, an some binoculars! (silly)

Dang I didnt think about putting the spare up top. Hmmmmmm Ideas ideas. The stock rubber has at least 25k left on it, could leave the spare up top until I have to buy new tires.

I also read that the 2012 5 doesn't have the reverse signal, so I'm wondering how to get the backup cam to come on when the car is put in reverse. Anybody figured this all out?
You'll need to hook up the camera to the reverse light at the back to get power anyway, and need to run the video cable up the head unit, so you just need to run the power up along with the video cable. For the camera I got, the video cable it came with had a power line built-in, so a single cable takes care of both.

I contacted the South African supplier I provided e link to above and here is their response, without their links.

Thank you for contacting W2Audio

The system is Plug & Play as it includes a Mazda specific plug as well as a CAN-Bus decoder which you may view by visiting the following link;

The original steering wheel controls (MFS) are supported and the CAN-Bus decoder itself is supplied with the system as mentioned in the product's Page

The original LED screen is supported and the system has a one year warranty. If defective during the warranty period, we'll assist you as best as possible to resolve any issues which may arise without having to return the system for repairs. If remote assistance is not possible then you will have to return the system back to our warehouse for warranty purposes. When this is the case, the shipping costs are always bared by the sender (you pay to ship it to us and we pay to ship it back to you once repaired). For more information on our Return Policy, please refer to the following link;

Well you seemed to have made up your mind already, go for it! (2thumbs) I'm sure plenty of ppl here would want to see the "after" pics. I for one like my center console as is. I have owned many cars with ugly or confusing center consoles (Hello Chrysler! Hello Honda!) and was happy to get an aftermarket unit to replace those.

Back