2014 CX-5 180hp engine release date?

alafya, mpnret,

count me in as another person deciding between the new forester and the 2.5L cx-5.

waiting for the final specs to be released, crash test results for the forester, and test drives before making my choice.

(2thumbs)

by the way, don't forget the cx-5 has it share of issues: transmission clunk, rough startup, hood/mirror vibration,...

The rough start-up is by design. The engine adjusts ignition timing to heat the catalytic converter to reduce cold-start emissions per EPA standards. The reason for the adjusted timing is because the first catalytic converter is pretty far away from the engine block because of the 4-2-1 header system. In any event, there is no problem there. It's running as designed.

The transmission "clunk" you mention is also a characteristic of the SKYACTIV-Drive transmission. A notable fuel saving effort involves a strategy to reduce engine load after coming to a stop while still in drive with the brakes applied. Reaccelerating from this state may be of concern to the customer; however this strategy, as well as the torque converter lock-up strategy is normal and the nature of how SKYACTIV-Drive operates.

The mirror and hood are well documented, and mine does them too, but I don't think it is a big concern.

With every first year model, there are always a few bugs. Im sure the Subaru will not be immune to them. There have been complaints of unrealistic fuel economy with the Impreza, which has the same CVT the new Forester will have.

The rough start-up is by design. The engine adjusts ignition timing to heat the catalytic converter to reduce cold-start emissions per EPA standards. The reason for the adjusted timing is because the first catalytic converter is pretty far away from the engine block because of the 4-2-1 header system. In any event, there is no problem there. It's running as designed.

There may be a legitimate issue out there: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123814499-rare-violent-and-rough-engine-starts

The transmission "clunk" you mention is also a characteristic of the SKYACTIV-Drive transmission. A notable fuel saving effort involves a strategy to reduce engine load after coming to a stop while still in drive with the brakes applied. Reaccelerating from this state may be of concern to the customer; however this strategy, as well as the torque converter lock-up strategy is normal and the nature of how SKYACTIV-Drive operates.

Maybe not always (valve body issues): http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...se-having-Transmission-Issues-with-their-CX-5

by the way, don't forget the cx-5 has it share of issues: transmission clunk, rough startup, hood/mirror vibration,...

Thanks for pointing those "issues" out. After 3500 miles I haven't noticed ANY of them.

Maybe because I have a more recent manufacture date (August 2012 I believe).

This is the first new car I've owned (of four) that didn't have at least some minor annoyances in the first couple of months.

I too will echo the facts pointed out by others about the Forester and Impreza. I had been on the Impreza forum for a few months waiting on release of the new Impreza only to find members complaing about a slew of quality control issues and above all the almost non-existant ability to hit the estimated MPG on the stick of 36 mpg (Impreza). After a few months I learned of the CX-5 and ended up buying it within 2 months. I have not looked back yet. Definitely stay away from the Subaru!

Mazda may say January 2013 but I'll eat my hat if they meant that it will be on dealers lots by the end of the month. That's really early for a 2014 model to show up, I would expect late spring. The 2013 CX-5 was on the lot, when, May 2012?

The dealer I spoke with today in NJ said the only new vehicle he has scheduled to come in is the 6 - for Feb. It'll be on the floor, but he can't sell it until March. He said the CX-5 isn't on their radar at all.

But do I believe him? I don't know...

The dealer I spoke with today in NJ said the only new vehicle he has scheduled to come in is the 6 - for Feb. It'll be on the floor, but he can't sell it until March. He said the CX-5 isn't on their radar at all.

But do I believe him? I don't know...

Still haven't heard back from my local dealer...but probably like you, it's hard for me to believe anything as I feel like there will be spin to move their current inventory off the lot.

I work for a manufacturer, so I know from personal experience that we don't inform our vendors about new product until the last possible moment. As soon as a vendor knows that there is a "new and improved" version, they stop buying the "current model".

I know it can be argued that there are advantages and disadvantages to the 2.0L & 2.5L engines...so you could have both on the lot and in theory both should sell...but I know there will be some slowing of the 2.0L Touring & GT...if you can afford leather, you can afford a little more at the pump, and are likely one who would pay that amount for the extra oomph of 30hp. Just my opinion.

I know it can be argued that there are advantages and disadvantages to the 2.0L & 2.5L engines...so you could have both on the lot and in theory both should sell...but I know there will be some slowing of the 2.0L Touring & GT...if you can afford leather, you can afford a little more at the pump, and are likely one who would pay that amount for the extra oomph of 30hp. Just my opinion.

Yes and if you can afford a leather GT 2.0L, you can afford other whips as a second vehicle with far more than an extra 29hp. Just my opinion, because rarely are these the one and only vehicle in household.

I know it can be argued that there are advantages and disadvantages to the 2.0L & 2.5L engines...so you could have both on the lot and in theory both should sell...but I know there will be some slowing of the 2.0L Touring & GT...if you can afford leather, you can afford a little more at the pump, and are likely one who would pay that amount for the extra oomph of 30hp.

I'm sure for many consumers there is a fair amount of truth to what you say. But not everyone thinks like that. I can afford any kind of car(s) or trucks I want (although something exotic like a Buggatti Veyron might take a bigger bite from savings than I would be comfortable with). My point is simply that fuel cost is not my issue. But I would still buy the 2.0L over the 2.5L if the new engine was available. I just have no real world use for 30 more hp, I hardly ever exceed 4000 rpm's as it is anyway. For me it's about the range. Even if the 2.5L had a bigger tank I would rather be driving away than waiting for last bit to fill up. If I can emit less pollutants without sacrificing anything I need, I will.

My northern NJ dealers wouldnt admit to knowing anything about those 2014's. Edmunds has a predicted arrival date listed at mid-2013 for arrival. Also the Ramsey dealer told me that even after they announce the cars release date, it will take roughly 3 months for them to go on sale after that.

That being said, I have to wait for the 2.5 before buying the CX-5. After test driving the 2L i was disappointed by its lack of acceleration and high price tag for a relatively mundane powertrain. Also...why did they get rid of the display that shows you what gear you are in when driving the automatic! I loved that feature on my mazda3!

Yes and if you can afford a leather GT 2.0L, you can afford other whips as a second vehicle with far more than an extra 29hp. Just my opinion, because rarely are these the one and only vehicle in household.

Our other car is a Hundai Accent. I am not sure if the extra HP will matter, but I do want to enjoy driving, and not feel like I am fighting the car to get it to do what I want it to. I'm not expecting muscle car performance, but if it is just about point a to b, the CrV wins for me.

The feature is still on the manual, a number for the gear is in the bottom lhs cluster.

Cant see why the auto would be different, never actually seen a auto in the UK.

Our other car is a Hundai Accent. I am not sure if the extra HP will matter, but I do want to enjoy driving, and not feel like I am fighting the car to get it to do what I want it to. I'm not expecting muscle car performance, but if it is just about point a to b, the CrV wins for me.

If you can enjoy (or maybe better word is tolerate) the 138 hp Accent, then either 2.0L or 2.5L Skyactiv engine will do.

CRV is no rocket either, even if its quicker than the 2.0L CX-5. Extremely tall gearing in lower 2 gears for fuel efficiency not drivability reasons (with dated 5 speed transmission) makes it somewhat lethergic in real world driving.

If you can enjoy (or maybe better word is tolerate) the 138 hp Accent, then either 2.0L or 2.5L Skyactiv engine will do.

CRV is no rocket either, even if its quicker than the 2.0L CX-5. Extremely tall gearing in lower 2 gears for fuel efficiency not drivability reasons (with dated 5 speed transmission) makes it somewhat lethergic in real world driving.

I don't know that I even tolerate the Hyundai...which is why driving enjoyment is such a big factor for me. We take that car most places, because our other vehicle was/is a truck, and it isn't a fiscally responsible decision to drive it...which is why we're selling it & looking at the Cx5.

I know it's not fiscally responsible to get a bigger engine...and yeah, the CRV was boring overall (acceleration, handling, looks)...but if I'm making a fiscally responsible decision, the Honda is going to hold its resale value better than the Mazda, and is less expensive to insure. That's why the 2.0L engine has me on the fence. I want just a little bit more excitement from the Cx5, and am hoping that the extra 30hp will make the difference.

I will say that even the 2.0L Cx5 GT trim still is a little nicer than the CRV, so it may win out anyway. I plan on approaching my local dealerships at the end of the month looking to get a screaming deal...but I may do the same with the Honda dealerships, and just make the "smart" decision, rather than the fun one.

I don't know that I even tolerate the Hyundai...which is why driving enjoyment is such a big factor for me. We take that car most places, because our other vehicle was/is a truck, and it isn't a fiscally responsible decision to drive it...which is why we're selling it & looking at the Cx5.

I know it's not fiscally responsible to get a bigger engine...and yeah, the CRV was boring overall (acceleration, handling, looks)...but if I'm making a fiscally responsible decision, the Honda is going to hold its resale value better than the Mazda, and is less expensive to insure. That's why the 2.0L engine has me on the fence. I want just a little bit more excitement from the Cx5, and am hoping that the extra 30hp will make the difference.

I will say that even the 2.0L Cx5 GT trim still is a little nicer than the CRV, so it may win out anyway. I plan on approaching my local dealerships at the end of the month looking to get a screaming deal...but I may do the same with the Honda dealerships, and just make the "smart" decision, rather than the fun one.

I understand why you would want/prefer the 2.5L Mazda, just to perk it up some. I agree, the Accent really isn't tolerable.

In terms of being fiscally responsible, the 2.5L is hardly overly extravagant or wasteful, assuming the $1K or so price-premium. I wouldn't worry about the difference in resale value of CX-5 versus CRV, the difference will be small and both will be very good (and partially offset by savings in gas expense). Resale value on American brand SUV's is another story and best avoided if resale value is a top factor. Resale value should be a top factor when looking at true cost of ownership.

Best of luck in shopping.

I understand why you would want/prefer the 2.5L Mazda, just to perk it up some. I agree, the Accent really isn't tolerable.

In terms of being fiscally responsible, the 2.5L is hardly overly extravagant or wasteful, assuming the $1K or so price-premium. I wouldn't worry about the difference in resale value of CX-5 versus CRV, the difference will be small and both will be very good (and partially offset by savings in gas expense). Resale value on American brand SUV's is another story and best avoided if resale value is a top factor. Resale value should be a top factor when looking at true cost of ownership.

Best of luck in shopping.

Yeah...that's why I'm avoiding the Chevy's & Fords...I recognize the huge cliff once it's off the lot. Thanks for all of your feedback! I sure hope we find out a real release date soon :)

That being said, I have to wait for the 2.5 before buying the CX-5. After test driving the 2L i was disappointed by its lack of acceleration and high price tag for a relatively mundane powertrain.

I guess everyone's butt dyno is calibrated differently. After my test drive of the 2.0L, I was impressed by the response of this "little" engine. Regardless, owning to my Tim the Toolman "more power" side, since there will be an alternate engine available, I will wait for the 2014 and take another test drive.

Don't know if this has been verified yet, but will the 2.5L be the only engine offered on the Touring & GT trim or will it be an option?

I sure hope we find out a real release date soon :)

I agree there - is it really going to be January, or are they only going to be available to order at dealerships in January? I would expect that the first ones would already have to be on the boat if it were truly January that they are supposed to be available. I don't "need" the additional power of the 2.5, but I like the idea of the SC Brakes. I just wish I had some pricing to base a decision off of. $1K more, no problem - 2-3K more, that's going to be an issue.

I've driven the current 2.0L CX-5 several times, as recent as today. There's a ton to love about it, but the 2.0L engine just does not cut it at 4-5000ft elevation, especially when it's geared for fuel economy. Sure I can flip it into manual mode, but it's still wanting for power when you need to build speed or conquer an incline. (I can only speak for the A/T, as I don't buy M/T vehicles) The 2.5L for the CX-5 is as close to necessary as an engine upgrade will ever be (particularly in Colorado), especially when the EPA economy ratings will be so similar (AWD A/T - 2.0L: 25/31, 2.5L 24/30)

Nobody at my local dealership would fess up to a ballpark idea of when the 2.5L models would start rolling in - I'm sure that they'd like to play it close to the vest if they did know anything to promote '13 sales, though.

The CX-5 handles so sportily and offers such a compelling package, but the lack of power is a very strong deterrent (It's the same situation with the Crosstrek, but that is more appropriately powered by a small margin).

I've been looking at new vehicles since Nov 2011, but I've finally got it narrowed down to:
'14 2.5L CX-5 Touring AWD
'14 2.5L Forester X Limited/Touring

I believe that measures have been taken to address head gasket issues with the 2.5L FBs a while back, too. In terms of potential reliability I'd put as much faith in Subaru as I would in Mazda's new DI engines.

I'd expect both the '14 2.5L CX-5 and '14 Forester to arrive sometime between March and May... but I wish both would arrive sooner. I'm ready to trade in my reliable and faithful 'Stang so I can enjoy Colorado the way it's meant to be enjoyed :p

Last edited:
Staryoshi- if you are seriously concerned about minimizing power loss at high altitude, you should consider vehicles with turbocharged engines (difference is huge vs NA).

Back