iracemine's purpose built N/A ST2 thread

Finally the diss and assembly of the fsde. http://mazda626.net/topic/39391-fs-de-torque-specs/ post #5. Down load it up quick!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1742.JPG
    100_1742.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 699
  • 100_1743.JPG
    100_1743.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 677
  • 100_1744.JPG
    100_1744.JPG
    189.9 KB · Views: 702
  • 100_1745.JPG
    100_1745.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 669
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

thats it till I get the head finished.

Attachments

• 100_1746.JPG
    100_1746.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 664
  • 100_1747.JPG
    100_1747.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 667
  • 100_1748.JPG
    100_1748.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 666
  • 100_1749.JPG
    100_1749.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 674
So it looks like integral is out of biss too. I will have to call up Mega Cycle Cams and see whats up. Looking to do the stage 3 which is like the twiggys.

Granted I'm not a racer but I know from my touge runs that a longer linear top power band is more beneficial then my friends extremely peaky power band.

With cams with a duration of 265 degrees your going to hemerage low end (not a negative thing in a race car really). But your going to have to be very specific in your gear changes or risk coming off cam really easy. Further you've only got a 7k rev limit, your not revving that high in the scheme of things. IIRC your using stock valve springs as well.

I'd have to actually get the specs but IIRC the stage 3s are like 270 duration. A 2 or 2.5 would be much better with your redline (which is ~260 odd IIRC).

Intresting..... I thought with the adjustable cam gears I would be able to bring that "peaky" power down into my rev range. I know I have quite a bit of research to do but all and any pointers a more than welcome. Thanks!

Adjustable cam gears don't allow you to change the duration or lift :)

No, they don't.
But they do allow you to change when valves open and close, which changes the powerband. Adjusting cam gears can be used to move the peak up or down the rev range or can be used to flatten a peaky powerband as well.

Now I am stuck at getting the cams. NEEDS CAMS NOW!!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1750.JPG
    100_1750.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 632
  • 100_1759.JPG
    100_1759.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 640
  • 100_1762.JPG
    100_1762.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 634
Stock or you can use the X4 box with bosch coils. The Bosch coils are a bit over kill. (Should note that this is IMO)

Im planning on using 1zz-fe coils myself at this stage.

Last edited:
No, they don't.
But they do allow you to change when valves open and close, which changes the powerband. Adjusting cam gears can be used to move the peak up or down the rev range or can be used to flatten a peaky powerband as well.

What you say is true and I did consider it in my prior responses.

I concluded that while he could do this, getting hold of a set of cam gears that work is not the easiest thing in the world. And then made my response based on these conclusions.

Whether im way off base is another matter, but to me my post makes sense logically. But then I'm neither the wisest man in the world either :)

If you do get some Cams from megacycle...lmk how much you paid and how you went about ordering.
Ive been contemplating it for a while, its the only thing left in my motor to replace LOL

If you do get some Cams from megacycle...lmk how much you paid and how you went about ordering.
Ive been contemplating it for a while, its the only thing left in my motor to replace LOL
OK looks like I will be sending in mine and they weld in more matierial and then grind them to spec. Its going to be just over 1K with shipping. And it will take them 8 days.

Also SR Motorsports have been selling their adjustable cam gears for years and years without problems. Why now do I have to find the focus gears????

Focus or Tri Point Gears.

The SR and Kasman KK both cause problems as the cam pickups move when ajusting the cam. I cant remember off the top of my head if the SR gears cause this as well but there based on the same design so I imagine they will:

1. the cam sensor pick ups move when you adjust the cam gear. this is bad because they should remain fixed. adjusting cam gears are for adjusting the cam, not the cam *and* the sensor pick ups. this is why the tripoint cam gears are basically remanufactured stock ones.

2. the cam pickups are not the same size as the stock ones. they essentially do not work with a microtech ems, not only because the size of the bolts are bigger than the stock ones (giving the unit a longer signal than expected), but the distance between the 2 bolts is smaller than the stock distance.

3. incorrect signals. the signal should be like an off-on-off signal. with the centre of the bolt being down, the signal is off-on-juston-on-off.

I'm not sure how it works with a microtech yet, but most aftermarket ecu's allow triggering calibration, where you can calibrate different types of sensors to work...is this not the case with an LT10?

and Ice nailed it...its worth mentioning that the only cam gear in question is the exhaust side...you can safely run any aftermarket cam gear you could find on the intake side...its the sensor pick ups for the exhaust side that have problems with adjustment...many members claimed they had no problems, even with factory computers...but its a safe bet that ignition timing was blindly being changed with the exhaust cam timing, which is definitely not something you want to happen for a proper tune...and, it probably allows very little adjustment before its out of sync, and throws any number of codes...

Also...another valuable note...Focus cam gears aren't all that exotic...its just a factory cam gear with the center hub drilled out, and a machined aluminum plate that mounts on the original 'spokes'...I'd imagine nearly any decent machine shop could replicate them, and i'd be happy to supply specs if need be. Focus gears are basically tri-point replicas, of which used a slightly smaller center hub, and better screws for attaching to the spokes...as the tri-points where known to be a bit unreliable...

for reference...the significance of the focus adjustable cam gears is that the cam and pick up move separately...all other aftermarket gears for these cars have the cam and pick up moving together, which is no different than just installing the belt incorrectly...

in either case...you truly only need to come up with one focus gear...I'll keep an eye out if i see one...multiple vendors still sell the other types, and i'm sure an email explaining this stuff would quickly get them to agree to just sell you a single for the intake side...

Last edited:
Back