iracemine's purpose built N/A ST2 thread

:
13 CX5
OK, thanks to all that have helped me so far. I have now got the motor down in the shop and took a few pics along the way.

The original reason for pulling the motor again is to fix the trans. That is done and stored away. Got pretty good at getting that knocked out quick. That is due to the fact I can't contain myself when shifting in the races and I snap selector parts frequent.

Also the motor smoked on start up. It looks to be the valve seals on the intake side are leaking. The intake vales have a nice coating of oil on them. So I will most likely have them replaced or replace them myself. Also when I mounted the motor to the stand I found that the rear main seal is leaking too. So a few things to take care of in this off season.

But since I have the motor out I figured I could try for some more RELIABLE horsepower.

I don't drag race. I don't circle race. I don't pud around in a parking lot. I road race W2W and its between 10-13 times a year. One of which is 100mi long, and the rest is approx 50mi. So I don't necessarily want to be tuning or wondering if its going to start. I just need to concentrate on driving and accumulating points.

The class is unlimited other than it has to be under 2.3L and not forced air.

Doing this build I have many questions. So please stay tuned, and I will try my best to keep pics coming till the end (very near) to keep you guys entertained.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

yes I broke this spring like 9 years ago and its still kicking!!!! (ok just like 16K miles but still got to give this little guys some credit
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1567.JPG
    100_1567.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 3,005
  • forum 6th.jpg
    forum 6th.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 3,029
  • forum 7th.jpg
    forum 7th.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 3,031
  • forum first.jpg
    forum first.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 2,952
  • forum fith.jpg
    forum fith.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 2,969
Those pistons... 10.7 or 10.4? It's also a great time to get some ZE cams in there. I'm pretty much using the overhaul as an excuse to get everything in, in one fell swoop. New oil and water pump, new seals, valve, cams, main, etc., ACL race rod/main bearings, head and engine cover gaskets, full set. U got mp3 ecu already so kick the vtcs to hell and remove it. She should run moderately acceptable with those

OK on with the facts.

Exterior:

Fiber images C/F hood W/Fiberglass patch repair job
wrong color blue rear hatch
rear lower bumper cut out
MP3 fenders
MS Headlights
covered head lights per competition rules
MS Radiator support and crush zone frame rails
front and rear wiper delete
flying logo mod
strap style front tow ring
black sun block vinyl on windshield
Jump battery quick connect
Blox velocity 3" stacks inserted into the fog light holes

Interior:
all but top part of dash interior delete
dom fully tigged in custom 4-point roll bar with two sided tigged in bases per SCCA rules
All random brackets removed
all but driver doors gutted including crash bars, window motors, locking links, and speakers
rear wiper motor delete
front pass and drivers window delete
front wiper motor and assembly delete
spa oil pressure and water temp split gauge with recall, warning light and remote output for larger warning lights
Wideband by innovative gauge
J&S knock gauge
Ultra Shield Circle Track vs Halo aluminum Powder coated black seat
Ultra Shield Platinum colored cam lock 6 point harness
heater core removal per competition rules
steering lock removal per competition rules
window net per competition rules
gopro hero4

Engine:
Full a/c removal
power steering rack removal and manual 323 rack installed
power steering system delete
4-2-1 header a 2 piece no name brand (needed slight work to make fit), also needed slight internal dremling to flow better.
Megacycle stage 3 cams
505zoom turbo intake manifold V2
battery relocation to old evap location
oddesy pc680 battery
cruse delete
sri
fidenza flywheel
quaife
b&m shifter
mp3 ecu (flashed) used for the IAC and other house keeping dutys
Immediate exhaust dump with the rest removed
pass and driver mount epoxy filled, front and rear awr mounts
weisco 11.1 forged full float pistons
Stock rods modded to take floater wrists
Full rotating assembly balanced twice
.020" over bore
Head heavily ported and not so polished
block blueprinted
crank micro polished
Microtech LT-10
EGR delete
Adjustable K gear on intake side
Adjustable Focus gear on exhaust side

Suspension:
K-sport pro coilovers with 800 front springs, 600 rear and custom welded rear sway bar mounts.
msp front sway bar
awr rear 21mm sway bar
k-sport rear adjustable end links
Wiwood Slotted GT 72 Straight Vane With custom made short offset BBK aluminum hats in front
Wilwood Dynapro 6 pot calipers in front
Stop Tech Slotted Cyroed rear oem rotor
Wilwood Dynapro 4 pot calipers in rear
pads differ depending on the track
rota slipstreams 15X7
bfgoodrich g-force r compound 225's
Forced air cooling for front brakes
corvette wheel studs in the front
Power Master Cylinder and stock proportional valve removed
1" mechanical Wilwoood tandem reservoir with only 2 outlets Master Cylinder installed
Wilwood 7.1 ratio single brake pedal installed
remote clutch reservoir installed
Wilwood adjustable proportional valve installed in cockpit
SS brake lines in all 4 corners

179whp/146wtrq
Full MC log book
17K odo
2170lbs empty and getting lower every mod I make. (not including driver, Im getter heaver every year past 30)
always for sale! Please make a offer.

Last edited:
whats going to get changed: (so far)

de to ze .050 over pistons
block to be bored .050 over
.050 rings
valve seals
ZFR511 plugs
rear main seal
thermal intake mani spacer (had one laying around from another guy)

Questions:

I noticed the msf has a pretty radical exhaust cam. If I buy the 4-2-1 msf header and that fs9p cam would that work with the mp3 ecu, or is that just to much to ask from that ecu?

I know we covered the balancing aspect, but what about lighting the rotational assembly? Is this possible with all stock internals and would I really notice a difference? I did notice quite a big difference when switching flywheels.

lastly with my stock rev levels would a valve job do anything worth the cost of doing so?

Last edited:
sub! a tip is to always oil down each part befor u put it together, just so u dont get friction when start up. but looking good so far!!

MSF headers a decent bit of gear, but if you have the money get a proper set of tuned headers made :)

If you want the MSF cams get the ZE ECU as well, increased red line and different timing tables as well :) You really need to start looking at something better then the mp3 ecu man it wont handle increased compression etc etc that well.

MSF headers a decent bit of gear, but if you have the money get a proper set of tuned headers made :)

was hoping for a pre-made 4-2-1. Money is definitely sparse. Otherwise I would be buying a van-demon. I am just looking for a bit more down low on the rpm range for getting around them pesky miatas going two wide in corners.

If you want the MSF cams get the ZE ECU as well, increased red line and different timing tables as well :) You really need to start looking at something better then the mp3 ecu man it wont handle increased compression etc etc that well.

I think the 10.4 pistons and ze cams should run ok. I have been running the ze cams for 9 years with no problems. I am looking to get maybe 5 or so more hp. And again to run that ecu that would be a lot of $$$$$. So not too interested. Again if I am to go all out it will be a van demon.

attachment.php

pretty scraped up for 16K. Racing is hard as fak on cars.
attachment.php

Like I said it smoked pretty bad at start up. And the last day I was out the trans broke in the am right away so it did not get a chance to burn off.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1651.JPG
    100_1651.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 2,885
  • 100_1652.JPG
    100_1652.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 2,788
  • forum tird.jpg
    forum tird.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 2,781
I'm with Rep, get rid of that weak looking 4-1. It's just so small diameter at the midpipe, and the runners are soo short. A nice run of the mill 4-2-1 will give you nice midrange and better torque mid range, getting you to the ZE cam "sweet spot" much sooner. And since you are running MP3 ecu, it's better to produce decent power on the mid range because you are not revving the hell out of the engine. It also makes sense, I've seen that vid of you racing and the car will feel better accelerating on a gear with load.

It wouldnt be that bad dude.

rep has the ze ecu IIRC. Otherwise i have a microtech here that im selling :)

Ok reconsidering the mp3 ecu.

However more pics of the oil burning problem.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 100_1664.JPG
    100_1664.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 100_1666.JPG
    100_1666.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 100_1667.JPG
    100_1667.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 1,173
  • 100_1668.JPG
    100_1668.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 1,174
OK engine dropped off at a top fuel shop (no joke). http://aesracing.net/ Next week I will have a valve job along with new valve seals at the same shop. Picked up the ze ecu, harness, trigger, an the 4-2-1 header from repthemazdas also. Should have that in a few weeks too.

Guess I should reconsider my HP goal (boom07)

Video time

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EWQUZxSbYo4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back