Adding VDO gauges, Oil temp and Coolant temp.. or Oil press?

pt00323i

:
2013 CX-5 6MT SPORT
I am thinking of installing 2 gauges right under the dial controls, that one area in front of the shifter sometimes next year.

I have oil temp, press and Volt on my BMW and Miata just oil temp, since it comes w/ oil pressure.

for CX5, since lack of coolant temp (yes I know there is a sensor and warning light) I want to install that, the other one I'm thinking is just oil temp since I do not track or take corners that hard with this car, and most likely will check oil every month, so oil temp should be enough, it will not fit 3 anyways.

so oil temp or oil pressure? btw Audi comes w/ oil temp not pressure.

your thoughts.

so oil temp or oil pressure? btw Audi comes w/ oil temp not pressure.

your thoughts.

The engine is so sophisticated it can monitor itself better than the driver.

Just don't screw it up and it will be fine - it will tell you in plenty of time in the unlikely event the engine develops an issue that requires your attention.

Spend your time and money on something else unless you just want some expensive eye candy that has a small potential to cause it's own issues.

You know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Agreed w/MikeM, although that little storage area in front of shifter gets little use by me.

Only a clean installation will do, otherwise it just hurts resale value.

I prefer oil pressure because you get not only oil pressure but, a good indication of oil temperature do to the drop in pressure as the engine warms up. I wish Mazda had an accessory gage pack option like some vehicles. Ed

Yea I agree with ain't broke don't fix it, maybe I'm old school I just feel more comfortable when I see needles on coolant and oil temp etc. those gauges do tell a lot.

I'll wait on this mod then.

I did it for my bmw yes eye candy but useful eye candy, it looks factory because I laser cut an Al plate then glue a sheet of black vinyl that matches the dash, orange bulb matches the dash light also.

I had these on my previous car (oil temp and oil pressure):
http://prosportgauges.com/45mm-gauges.aspx

And I did a neat little install, at least I was proud of my workmanship on it:
cockpitm.jpg

cockpit2e.jpg

I thought I needed them since I had blown the engine once at the track (oil starvation = spun bearings) and was trying to prevent the eventual engine rebuild (but I had to replace rings later anyway). In the end they were just bling.

My CX5 is a sport manual, but I rarely drive like a hoon anymore. Plus since I don't intend to modify the engine (intake doesnt count), I don't think the gauges are necessary.

it will tell you in plenty of time in the unlikely event the engine develops an issue that requires your attention.

Does the coolant temp warning come on it time to still get somewhere or is it the usual "Stop driving now or you will kill the engine" warning.
It isn't likely an issue now but as the cars age, even a well maintained car can have issues at higher 6 digit miles miles where it would be nice to see that it is running a little hotter than normal. I think there was someone on here (or another board) that had an engine code that sounded like the thermostat was stuck open, something that is much easier to tell with a gauge.

Probably not an issue either with the CX5 but oil temp can be helpful on track days :)

I prefer more information rather than less.

That being said they probably leave off the gauges, not only to save money but to keep the owners from coming in for warranty work demanding that there is a problem because the needle on the gauge is 1/8" off from where it usually sits.

That being said they probably leave off the gauges, not only to save money but to keep the owners from coming in for warranty work demanding that there is a problem because the needle on the gauge is 1/8" off from where it usually sits.

Bingo.

Back