1.6 Trans swap problems

cobora

:
1999 Protege
I acquired a 1999 Mazda Protege 1.6l with a bad transmission and proceeded to disassemble and locate a transmission. After finding a "guaranteed" trans from a 2.0 I switched the bellhousings over and proceeded with the swap. Whilst lining up the trans I bolted tight 3 bolts before I realized I had not lined up the torque converter to the drive plate or fastened the nuts. I loosened from tight and spun the torque converter until it lined up then pushed everything back together and proceeded with install.

I filled with fluids and proceeded to start it and it makes a horrible grinding when it should be priming the fuel and when I start it it makes a mechanical grind for a second then revs normal for a second or two then dies. It does however engage in drive and reverse before dieing. When it dies it shakes and grinds. It dies if I give it any gas. If floored it shakes then dies. Its throwing a code which leads me to my question: Could the installation error have damaged anything and if not is this transmission most likely junk as well or could it be the code. I will get the code tomorrow.

This was an attempted money making venture that's turned into a problem. Any help is really appreciated.

UPDATE

The intake broke during swap and with a duct tape patch air is moving past MAF so motor is happy when it starts and continues running. Before start on accessory there's still the grind and immediately after start a mechanical almost belt slip for a split second still remains but no checker. Progress update in the morning.

Back