Dragonballspeed Build (Finding an Identity)

:
03 Mazdaspeed, Orange
UPDATES: Pictures changed or added as they become available and may not necessary line up with the original date of post.

I have never posted a build thread, and have been a part of this forum for nearly as long as it has been around. I started with a 2003 MSP bought from the dealer, and as many of you know its all been downhill since then. I kid as if that was truly the case, I probably would have let it go a long time ago. A lot of the changes have been very slow to come plus the car has been sitting still for about 3 years now. Mostly bc I was taking my time to identify wher I would go next. So here ya go with a little bit of back drop to get caught up.

This was shortly after purchasing in 2003
mazda1.JPG

Here we are about a year later with super low stance and full 3" exhaust. Hell, this was before anyone even considered making 3" exhaust! An engine build was also commisioned that same year.
mazda3.jpg

I left TX in 2005 while my car was still in the shop having a full on audio build done, as well as having the headliner redone in the same matching orange suede Right about the same time I installed a custom 14" Wilwood BBK from Revolution brakes front and rear. I was gone about 2 years, and during that time I only drove the car a handful of times until I moved back to TX.
attachment.php
attachment.php
04.jpg

Fast forward to 2007, and this is probably one of the best pics ever taken of my car IMO. I ended up trashing the RH Evo wheel from the bake pics due to nasty curb, and replaced them with a set of 19x8" G-Games by Rays this timw with a whole lot better fitment and offset. At this point I was also running a Haltech E8, an AVC-r set around 1 Bar, custom FMIC, oil cooler setup, and aluminum radiator all by PWR. AWR motor mounts and endlink kits were also installed with some JIC coilovers
clintmsp.jpg

Around 2008 I came to the full realization that I had been thoroughly screwed by the shop that was going to build my motor, as well as dealing with constat electrical gremlims from the audio install. I sued in small claims, won, and never got a damn thing from it other than lessoned learned. During that summer, my car finally became victim to the notorious boom-boom that our cars are so well known for. Blown head gasket. Tore the engine down replaced head gasket only to discover that the rings were totally shot. Drove it home and parked her.

015.JPG

At this point I tore into the audio system only to find I was melting wires due to poor grounds, thus started the permanant tear down that brings up up to date.

Over the past 3 years or so I have completely stripped out all of the Dynomat that was installed in '05, removed all wiring of any kind, sold off all bits that were usuable to someone else, and left myself with a shell. My final goal is a purpose built NASA TT car. The only problem is that because of the equipment I have purchased over the years and will reuse, I will have to compete in a much higher class than most MSP's.

December of 2011 first half of cage build complete. Due to price going a bit higher than anticipated, I had to pull the plug a bit early. However the rest of the cage work will be performed at a later time.

Before
DSCF0550.jpg

After
DSCF0783.jpg
DSCF0793.jpg

Additons to be completed: diagonal, x-brace, door bars & window nets

Summer of 2012: I have never liked the core support on these cars as nothing is symetrical, so I cut it all out and i'm in the process of rebuilding out of tubing. I also hated the stock braking system in conjuction with my BBK, so I cut a hole in the firewall to allow placement of a foward swing triple MC setup from Wilwood that better matched my calipers. It took a bit of work to figure out the placement of pedals to work with stock column, but well worth it in the end.

Before
166.JPG

After
IMG_00000075.jpg

Where it sits with body parts hanging waiting for paint
IMG_00000150.jpg

That's the story in a nutshell. Acutal build to continue.

Current Mods going back on car:
'95 Millenia KLde square port (rebuilt) with kl31 heads, ZE-IM, and COP conversion
Haltech E8
Transmission with welded LSD and Cryo treated internals
AWR motor mounts, trailing arms, swaybars, & endlinks
AWR strut tower bar - new 3 point design (commissioned by me) - Anthony would really like it if others purchased this bar
Wilwood forward swing pedal assembly w/Triple MC's & bias control knob
Wilwood rotors and caliper
Cobra Imola II driver and passenger seats
350mm Momo steering wheel
Sparco Hud Adapter
Lifeline quick release hub
PWR intercooler, radiator, & oil cooler
Remote oil filter hosing
-AN braided lines for everything
3" exhaust & headers
roll bar steering column mounts
Master disconnect Kill switch
Full rewire using 12 circuit kit
AVC-r
Full Roll Cage
Tubular upper & lower core support w/lower transmission mount
Tubular crash bar

Future Mods:
Fuel Safe 12 gallon fuel cell
Schroth Racing 4-point harnesses
4 nozzle fire supression system
3 quart Accusump
17" wheel with 245/40/17
AAC link kit
Adjustable front control arms from Dominant Engineering or similar design
Boost

Last edited:
Subbin for sure! Looking great so far and I love the direction you're going!

I'm curious to why you're going with the ZE heads on a DE block with boost? I assume you're swapping the DE valve retainers in? Most cats switch to DE heads in favor of the ZE heads with boost.

I would also be very interested in a 3 point strut bar if AWR makes them and it will clear the KL intake mani. With a thermal spacer my CorkSport strut tower bar juuuuust barely touched a bolt on top of my curve-neck intake mani.

Subbin for sure! Looking great so far and I love the direction you're going!

I'm curious to why you're going with the ZE heads on a DE block with boost? I assume you're swapping the DE valve retainers in? Most cats switch to DE heads in favor of the ZE heads with boost.

I would also be very interested in a 3 point strut bar if AWR makes them and it will clear the KL intake mani. With a thermal spacer my CorkSport strut tower bar juuuuust barely touched a bolt on top of my curve-neck intake mani.

As you may know, the '95 Millenia motor came with KL31 heads (the only year to do this) The company that I purchased the motor from said they installed the general "fixes" of the problem prone to these head, ie retainers and keeper with DE versions. I do plan on going for boost later, but right now my main priority is to get her running again. The engine will get ARP head bolts, colt cams, Interprep springs, and A P&P job. The botton end is going to get forged piston for the Millenia S rods, and new performance rings and bearings. That's probably a year off still.

I'm looking for about 300-350ish HP which will still be drivable without crazy lag. Oh and it should be pretty light since there isn't a whole lot going back in the car, maybe 2200 - 2400lbs or so.

Right on, man. Sounds like a great plan. (2thumbs)

A few more pics of under the bumper.
Before cut of upper support
153.JPG

KLZE engine picture mockup just for fun!
153-2.jpg

Since then, the crash bar has had new mounting plates made, lower radiator support is bent waiting to be tacked in place, and constant fiting to make sure everything still lines up. Oh and that black crate you see in the corner of the first pic, that's the new KL motor waiting for its new home.

Last edited:
I like the tubular supports. Been wanting to do that for a while since the stock support is a heavy piece of s***. Plus I had to cut the hell out of it to fit my intercooler.

Wow sad to see spicy stripped but can't wait to see end results!

Really digging that modified front end you got going on there.

I've got more areo in thre drawing pad, but that has taken back burner to fab work right now.

I like the tubular supports. Been wanting to do that for a while since the stock support is a heavy piece of s***. Plus I had to cut the hell out of it to fit my intercooler.

I should have an update this weekend with the whole front end mocked into place, although I'm not sure how I feel about the sqaure turbing up top and the rest being round.

Wow sad to see spicy stripped but can't wait to see end results!

I hate seeing the car all stripped as well, but if I get anywhere near the picture I have in my head it will be well worth.

Well if you can send me the specs on the tubular front I have thought about doing something like that also. I made my modified bumper and im having issues getting the bumper on over the reinforcement bar so that will solve my problem wile still giving me support. Im looking to buy a welder pretty soon. Its been a minute since ive welded but ill pick it back up.

I have a question about the passenger side motor mount for this swap. Anyone with info please chime in. Will the AWR passenger side mount not work?

Alignment issue pictured
DSCN1949.JPG

That dirty ass motor is only the doner for mock up purposes while I set the final mounting of the lower rad support. Motor had a broken rod cap on #4 when I bought it and burned up the rod bearings on #3 & 4. It appears the person how owned the car the motor came from never was taught you are supposed to change your oil, not just add more. Overall, I think it is still a usable block and crank providing there are no hidden cracks. I already have a new reman motor to drop in, but a spare never hurts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back