aftermarket car stereo picks (not pics)

MrsZR7

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
What's your favorite for a double-DIN Bluetooth installed car stereo?
I bought a JVC XR-810 back in February, an I've had nothing but trouble with it. It's now going back for its FOURTH warranty repair, for which I have had to pay the shipping to the repair center, and then my time and fuel costs.
So, I'm trying to decide.....
Have this one reinstalled yet again, or unload it for about $75 and buy something else?

I've only heard "meh" things about JVC. Seems like they're hit and miss. I'd personally dump the thing.

I run a Pioneer FH-P8000BT and love it. iPod control, Bluetooth hands free, the whole shebang. I think it may or may not have been recently discontinued though.

I ran across a site called mp3car.com - which has now and forever swayed my thinking. It's infotainment-system oriented forums and instructionals have me no longer wanting a mainstream 2-DIN car stereo, but rather now...I want to piece together a carputer! Just think about it....

- full Windows8 (touch!!!) capabilities (players, skins, eq's, softwares, internet browsing, skype!!!, video chatting from the car, free webcalling, etc)
- endless audio capabilities
- hd video (and other video options for other screens, etc)
- iTunes syncing with.......ITUNES! (Control skins are plentiful)
- Tuning software (AEM, Hondata, Megatune, etc)
- virtual gauges for above software and your car's vital signs
- virtually endless expandability (hardware limitations are the only thing I can see to limit it.....well....that and money.....lol).

I'm sold honestly. With an initial budget of $500, and a bit more for adding an amp for my 4 speakers (ran from Headunit I have now) - I'd do much more with this setup than a conventional car stereo deck/head unit.

Just my $.02.

I bought the same unit (10/2011) and have had no issues. It works great and has decent features for the money. The only con is using the phone, people say I sound like I am "in a box". I think it has more to do with the excessive noise in the P5 than the unit as it pretty clear when I am stopped at a light. I did not look at other brands because according to Crutchfield they required "Slight Modification" and I was not sure what they really meant. What specific issue did you have with yours?

I just purchased a JVC KWHDR81BT for my daughters P5, which also included HD radio. I will try to remember to comment after Christmas and installation.

I just purchased a JVC KWHDR81BT for my daughters P5, which also included HD radio. I will try to remember to comment after Christmas and installation.
I like that choice, have wanted to try out HD radio for awhile now & it has amber lighting. Did you run this into the factory speakers/sub & has there been any issues with it's functionality? Looks to be nice upgrade from the oem 6 disc/cassette with aux mode board for aux input I currently have.

I like that choice, have wanted to try out HD radio for awhile now & it has amber lighting. Did you run this into the factory speakers/sub & has there been any issues with it's functionality? Looks to be nice upgrade from the oem 6 disc/cassette with aux mode board for aux input I currently have.

That's the plan for now at least. It is a Christmas present, so it won't be installed under after the 25th.

Also like that it'll float my ipod nano, ipad2, any of my various mp3 playas, usb flashdrives & my Casio Commando Android phone. Currently all I got is mp3 playa and ipod nano connectivity with the oem unit.

81BT installed today and seems to work great. The color display controls don't seem to have as much flexibility as my older XR-810BT. i has only been in one day so not much time for any issues, but all (including factory sub) seems to work fine. I need to experiment with the bluetooth mic. I had this one terminate at the A-pillar. My XR-810BT was run all the way to the rearview mirror and I have many complaints about sound quality when speaking.

ADD: tested the phone today and the clarity was great. I could not even tell I my daughter was using the BT mic. I am actually considering getting a replacement mic for my unit.

Last edited:
I bought the same unit (10/2011) and have had no issues. It works great and has decent features for the money. The only con is using the phone, people say I sound like I am "in a box". I think it has more to do with the excessive noise in the P5 than the unit as it pretty clear when I am stopped at a light. I did not look at other brands because according to Crutchfield they required "Slight Modification" and I was not sure what they really meant. What specific issue did you have with yours?

That's the main reason why I bought this one. Second was the color customization. Of course, price was somewhere in there, since I didn't want to sink a bunch of money into it.
It's back in for now though, and seems to be okay...for now. My trust in this stereo and the JVC brand is gone.
I've found a Pioneer at Best Buy that I like a lot, but it does say that it'll need slight modification to fit. What would they need to modify, I wonder?

Oh yeah, my JVC has been in for various problems - quirky behavior in general. Menus lock up, buttons stop functioning....it did the same thing the first couple of times it was repaired. Then it was a complete power failure and wouldn't come on at all. This time, most of the buttons (to include the menu and cd eject buttons) stopped working.

I believe the slight modification is the removal of the rear support bar. Basically it is deeper than factory. This is one reason I went with the JVC, it is the only one I have found that does not say it requires this modification.

Got an email from Crutchfield the other day saying the JVC KWHDR81BT are back in stock...............

OP, sorry to hear of your disappointment with JVC. I've had nothing but good luck with their h/u's and have had several through the years. Just upgraded to the KDHDR61 (Christmas present and just saw that it has been discontinued at Crutchfield) and so far I'm loving it. Bluetooth is optional and more than likely I'll spring for the adapter at some point soon. HD, Pandora, iPhone/iPod controls and the custom color configuration is great. It's nice having day and night settings for the display.

Best of luck with whatever you should choose.

Kenwood and Dual are the way to go for any after market radio system. (just my opinion not starting an argument)

for our cars, they all suck, as far as I know lol

If I'm wrong on this, someone please tell me, cause I'd love to have a dash kit that doesn't suck

^^^msp radio pocket or pocket from a 99-03 miata...iirc. only difference is the msp has a fold down door and will run you a bit more bnib from the dealer.

^^^msp radio pocket or pocket from a 99-03 miata...iirc. only difference is the msp has a fold down door and will run you a bit more bnib from the dealer.

We're talking about double din though. When I had a single din, I was using an MSP pocket that was awesome. I haven't found a good double din kit yet though

Back