P0037 emission test code

Stickman

:
3 P5
Emission test failed. What should I expect $$$ to pass test.
Might be O2 sensor. I was told by Midas that cat was bad.
Need to be legal again. Gootta fix quickly as I'm past due date.
Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

If you would spend 2 minutes and google it you will find that it is for the heater element in the upstream o2 sensor, or bank 1

Going off that it is literally impossible to say that the cat is bad as that sensor does not monitor the cat

Replace the sensor and go on about your life

Just get a generic Bosch O2 sensor and splice the wires from the existing O2 sensor plug onto the new one.

Just get a generic Bosch O2 sensor and splice the wires from the existing O2 sensor plug onto the new one.

No

Not on the upstream, its ok to do it on the downstream but the upstream monitors your afr and when you splice them in like that it can distort and throw off the voltage

Well, I did spend several minutes googling the issue.
I seem to trust you guys here to know more of what's really going on.
So, is a heater elemnet the same as the O2 sensor, or are they different items.
If they are different, which should be replaced 1st?
Apparently, 1st step is to check the fuse for the heater element/O2 sensor. How would I find that fuse?
Thanks.
ML

If you would spend 2 minutes and google it you will find that it is for the heater element in the upstream o2 sensor, or bank 1

Going off that it is literally impossible to say that the cat is bad as that sensor does not monitor the cat

Replace the sensor and go on about your life

Iirc there isn't a fuse, I may be wrong though. The heater element is built into the o2 sensor so you have to replace the while thing.

Stickman, both O2 sensors run off a circuit that includes many others...there is a generic 'engine' fuse inside the drivers side door, but if its blown the engine will crank...but will not start, and you're water temp gauge will spike to max (a mechanism to point to the fuse being blown)...

Tweety is right about the heaters; they're internal. I'm seeing 'bank 1, sensor 2' for p0037 in various code databases, which would point to the 2nd o2 sensor according to most descriptions... the first o2 sensor uses an internal heater to speed up its own warm up, thereby getting more accurate readings faster than it would take for normal exhaust heat soak. The 2nd sensor uses a heat sensor to monitor catalyst performance.

The first sensor isn't part of the emissions system...its part of the engine control system, and when it goes, it will create noticeable driving problems. I'm assuming your second sensor is bad, and that your cat is fine...

Engine runs so it's not the fuse.
I will have the O2 sensor replaced tomorrow, drive a bunch to reset engine light, get emmision test, and get legal again.
Thanks, all you guys, again, for all of the expertice. 230K and still running!
Stick.

Stickman, both O2 sensors run off a circuit that includes many others...there is a generic 'engine' fuse inside the drivers side door, but if its blown the engine will crank...but will not start, and you're water temp gauge will spike to max (a mechanism to point to the fuse being blown)...

Tweety is right about the heaters; they're internal. I'm seeing 'bank 1, sensor 2' for p0037 in various code databases, which would point to the 2nd o2 sensor according to most descriptions... the first o2 sensor uses an internal heater to speed up its own warm up, thereby getting more accurate readings faster than it would take for normal exhaust heat soak. The 2nd sensor uses a heat sensor to monitor catalyst performance.

The first sensor isn't part of the emissions system...its part of the engine control system, and when it goes, it will create noticeable driving problems. I'm assuming your second sensor is bad, and that your cat is fine...

Back