Symptoms of a timing belt breakage on my 2003 protege5???

car wouldn't crank and you would probably throw a code for a crank or cam sensor. If you think it's broken, just take the valve cover off and look. That can be done in like 5-10 minutes.

I'm new to these computerized cars. So, if the car is turning over, but not starting, than the belt is still there?

it would still crank and not actually start if the belt was broken. How many miles are on the car? Check for blown fuses? Do you currently have a check engine light?

I'm new to these computerized cars. So, if the car is turning over, but not starting, than the belt is still there?
The belt has nothing to do with the engine turning over. The belt just connects the cam(s) to the crank and keeps them running together, hence "timing" belt. If the belt is broken, then the car will still crank but wont start. And if the belt breaks while driving, then the car will die, and wont be able to start again. Take the valve cover off and just give it a visual inspection along with checking the tension on it. If it looks fine (no cracks, etc) and its nice and snug, check cam and crank sensors.

Edit: It also wouldnt hurt to pick up a valve cover gasket to have on hand in case the original gets damaged during removal. There is a how-to written up here somewhere.

Last edited:
Back