Automatic Headlights in Sport and Touring?

skeptic

:
CX-5 Touring w/ Bose Package
Is there anyway to install aftermarket parts to have automatic headlights like the GT and pretty much every stock 2011+ car out there. My friend has a 2001 GMC Jimmy that has automatic headlights and its kinda sad that my 2013 does not.

Thanks for replies :)

I have a Touring w Bose Package im pretty positive I don't have it...

it says on mazdausa.com it only comes with Grand Touring

41qfC2QEuDL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

All that does is when you turn on your lights it as well turns on your fog lights. What I'm referring to is the feature where when it gets dark your car automatically turns its lights on and when you turn the car off it turns the lights off too. Majority of cars have this now adays and the Grand Tourong has it but I'm pretty positive this can be done aftermarket.

What I'm referring to is the feature where when it gets dark your car automatically turns its lights on and when you turn the car off it turns the lights off too. Majority of cars have this now adays and the Grand Tourong has it but I'm pretty positive this can be done aftermarket.

I have a Touring model with Tech package (and moon roof/Bose) and when the headlight stalk is left on "Auto" the headlights come on at dark (lower wattage daylight running light on otherwise) and all lights turn off with the ignition (with a delay if so set in the menu).

All that does is when you turn on your lights it as well turns on your fog lights. What I'm referring to is the feature where when it gets dark your car automatically turns its lights on and when you turn the car off it turns the lights off too. Majority of cars have this now adays and the Grand Tourong has it but I'm pretty positive this can be done aftermarket.

He is showing you the left arrow, you are talking about the right arrow on the stalk...

The standard lights shut off automatically, just leave the headlight switch on all the time and you won't have to touch a thing. Easy and cheap solution. It should take a couple of years before you have to replace a bulb.

The standard lights shut off automatically, just leave the headlight switch on all the time and you won't have to touch a thing. Easy and cheap solution. It should take a couple of years before you have to replace a bulb.

If the car has daytime running lights, use them. The more watts the car consumes, the more work the engine must do to turn over the alternator. If the electricity is being wasted its called "parasitic drag" and this means you have to add more fuel at the pump. Also, if the car reduces voltage to the headlight bulbs to function as daytime running lights it extends the bulb life dramatically. I change my own headlight bulbs and I would appreciate doing it every two years rather than every four. Well worth the effort to reach down and turn on the lights when it's dark.

Okay so I have a CX-5 Touring AWD with Bose Package and I checked my car today and mine does not say auto on the stalk. 100% positive

So back to what I was saying before is there a way I can do this aftermarket, maybe with HID's? Even if I keep my original's I want this function

Okay so I have a CX-5 Touring AWD with Bose Package and I checked my car today and mine does not say auto on the stalk. 100% positive

True, it comes with the Tech package. I don't know what would be involved to add it at a later date - I probably wouldn't bother.

so back to my original question anyone know if this is possible aftermarket?

You will have to change the stalk switch (to get the auto feature) and you will also have to install a sensor on the windshield. I have been told that sensor is the the same one that gives you automatic Wipers when it rains. What I don't know is what else is needed and I also don't know if the wiring harness to hook to the sensor is in the headliner. I have been looking for a wiring diagram but have yet to find one.

You can see the sensor to the right of the rear view window mirror attachment point on the windshield on the tech cars.

I'd think trying to add the factory one to a model that didn't come with it would be quite expensive and possibly an endless pain as you discover one part or wiring harness after another that isn't compatible.

I've seen kits before online that had light sensors for adding automatic headlights to cars that didn't come with them but even those would take quite a bit of custom waring I'd think (and I can't remember where I saw them as it was several years ago)

It's really not that difficult to do. I did it in my 2011 Honda Accord and my 2013 Mustang. Literally all you have to do is change out the headlight stalk to one that has the "auto" feature. My 2015 CX-5 already has the sensor that is needed. It's in the middle of the dash nearest the window. I have a Touring model, no extras.

I'd think trying to add the factory one to a model that didn't come with it would be quite expensive and possibly an endless pain as you discover one part or wiring harness after another that isn't compatible.

I've seen kits before online that had light sensors for adding automatic headlights to cars that didn't come with them but even those would take quite a bit of custom waring I'd think (and I can't remember where I saw them as it was several years ago)
It's really not that difficult to do. I did it in my 2011 Honda Accord and my 2013 Mustang. Literally all you have to do is change out the headlight stalk to one that has the "auto" feature. My 2015 CX-5 already has the sensor that is needed. It's in the middle of the dash nearest the window. I have a Touring model, no extras.
I'd agree with ta240 as the Auto-Light Control on Mazda CX-5 GT uses the rain-sensor for Auto-Wiper Control as the light sensor. This means you need a light sensor to add Auto-Headlight feature on CX-5 Sport and Touring, and that's why both Auto-Light and Auto-Wiper Controls always come together in a package for CX-5!

Hi. I do not have auto headlights/wiper in my CX-3, but I have installed sensor on windshield. It means, that I can just buy and connect a new stalk with auto function, and no reprogramming is needed to activate it?

Thanks for the help.

Back