In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: psyco-joe's Green Lantern build

Donated: $5

'99 MX-5 + '92 MX-3- sold :(

psyco-joe's Green Lantern build

After having the car for a while I finally feel like I got some decent content for a build thread. So here we go.
    first: i gotta start of with a goal. when I originally purchased the car I was going to build it for drifting but after taking it to an open track day at horse thief then streets of willow I felt the car would last longer and be better off doing time attack. So that's its current purpose.

I am concentrating on working on the suspension/ tires and chassis before I begin doing any engine mods. as of now the engine is completely stock.

installed Mods:

Suspension & Chassis
    BC coilovers
    racing beat front & rear sway bars
    stoptech 309 brake pads
    flying miata butterfly brace
    daily: Drag dr-46 15x7 +10 w/ falken 512 195/50/15
    track: konig Spooled 15x8 +20 w/ falken azenis 615k 205/50/15

saftey
    HD Sport DD roll bar
    HD harness bar
    corbreau fx1 pro
    Corbreau 4 point harness

parts needing to be installed:
    racing beat rear subframe brace

2nd priority parts wanted:
    1. autoexe intake
    2. RB header
    3. high flow cat
    4. catback exhaust

appearance:
    my car has quite a bit of scrapes and color panels that are not exactly the same shade of green because of the fact that it was a salvaged title. so there are quite a bit of aesthetic things that could be fixed. mainly the sun damaged trunk and scrapes on the sideskirt. I also need to fix a scrap on my lip. However, since non of this stuff will make me go faster it's on the backburner behind my high priority performance parts.

1. paint trunk, side skirt, lip. considering repainting the whole car factory emerald green
    2. garage vary type n rear bumper. want it so I can set up a good diffuser underneath it.

Aero : I want to start doing some aero mods sometime this year
    1. front splitter
    2. canards
    3. rear diffuser

__________________________________________________ ___

now i know you don't car about all that I wrote so lets get to the good sh*t. pics :icon_cheers:
    the day I got her. before we went through and cleaned it up.

sitting next to my mx-3

at mazfest ....still stock

oct 9 2011
    hard dog roll bar install. scooter(scott) and my brother helped...and by that I mean they did most of the work lol.

nov 8 2011
    canyon run, i was still on stock suspension at this time.. you can see my painted wheels, clutch_dust helped me paint them.

nice weather...aaand it's gone

yes...during the same run we went from a nice day to that..

jan 10 2012
    nice shot of the roll bar and wheels.

jan 17

RB parts came in and soon after i got this

after the install... my brother and his co-workers did the install after hours at the dealership they work at.. because having a lift comes in handy. my bro does everything for the car so I can't thank him enough.

feb. my first track day. horse thief. I ran a 1:15 i think. I know right, slow.... i was getting a good amount of oversteer then I corrected the suspension but the problem is in the tires. yokohama s drives just don't cut it.

my friend's evo about to eat my little miata

may

second track day, this time at streets of willow.
    prepping.

my brothers suby was trying to keep up but i was faster then him throughout the course.
    the mazda 3 was quick though. it belongs to my friend don and he was taking me on the corners.
    Last edited by psyco-joe; 04-08-2013 at 10:25 PM.

after streets of willow i realized I really needed to get a good seat to hold me in. I started off by getting the harness bar and harness. Thanks to clutch_dust I got the harness quickly and for a kick ass price.

after saving up some money I finally got the seat. corbreau fx-1 pro mounted with a corbreau custom mount.

mazfest 2012

So i was minding my own business one day then suddenly a friend says he want's to sell his wheels. wheels that previously belonged to clutch_dust and I wanted to get but couldn't afford them at the time. so for 300 bucks I got drag dr-46s with hardly used falken tires.

...and so this is where i stand right now.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2013 Abarth, 2004 MSM - FM, '74 BMW Bavaria, 97 Civic EX B18C1

Good stuff! I love following Miata build threads. Nothing against the Proteges, but there is only so much you can do with one, and everyone does it. With the Miatas, there are nearly limitless possibilities.
    MOCO ~ Mazda Owner's Corral Operations

"I always say, the best Lamborghini is the Audi R8. "

My Fiat 500 Abarth
    My Mazdaspeed Miata Build Thread
    My '74 BMW Thread
    In Ohio? Check us out!
    My Travel Blog - The Chronicles of Phen

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

thanks guys. i see what you mean with proteges, there unfortunately isn't a whole lot of aftermarket support and it doesn't help that everyone does the same msp lips and body if they don't have the msp. not a whole lot of people do really crazy things. With a miata i could buy a bunch of the shelf parts and my car could still would be different because of all the available options. Which is good for me because I am not a fabricating kinda person. lol

my build slow down though because of college loans. I am just glad I was able to accomplish this much so far. I won't stop though, I will continue making progress slowly but surely .
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

02 p5, 95 miata

The miata is just so much more satisfying to drive than the protege. Get as much seat time as you can, that is the most important thing. Also, i/h/e are good for sound, but the power is not that noticeable on a stock BP or B6...I guess every little bit helps, though.

I agree. There will not be very noticeable power gains from the I/h/e combo. The difference would be even less noticeable on track times. My hope is that a better flowing intake and exhaust system will improve the motors reliability. Thankfully it has been very reliable so far so I am just trying to keep it that way.

2019 Hyundai Veloster N Performance Pack, 2016 Scion iA (Mazda2)

Subbing to watch your progress. It's great to see what others do with the NB1 - and I like what you've done so far

02 p5, 95 miata

I really like the FM catback on my 91, it is better than the roadstersport I put on the 95 IMHO. It is a bit restrained, but barks pretty good when you are really on it. I think it is the best combination. Plus I bet (hope) a header will add that little extra.

I have been looking into a few different options. But I haven't yet looked at flying miata's exhaust yet. Thanks for the suggestion. More options is better. From what I can tell flying miata doesn't make a header, they use racing beat headers which is okay because that was my first choice as far as header options. Flying miata also makes a connecting pipe which should help a bit . Couple that with their cat back exhaust so together they should work nicely.

My other exhaust options in am seeing are 5zigen 304 and mangnaflow cataback .

02 p5, 95 miata

There aren't that many header options...also consider the Enthuza for a cat back, Jason is a great guy that builds a great exahust

true, i find it kinda strange that there are not that many options for that. it's basically racing beat, cobalt, ...or autoexe if you wanna pay up the ass.

1993 miata

so does your car have a glass back window? and it clears the harness bar? nice build mang
    2006 velocity red mica mazdaspeed6: down for motor build for big boost
    2003.5 titanium gray mazdaspeed 3 #1250: getting a motor
    1999 white miata: daily duty
    2010 cwp Mazda 3 hatch: daily duty/wifes car
    1992 rx7 vert: awaiting a lsx
    1977 trans am: wife's first car restoration soon(we hope)
    1993 Mazda miata: sold
    2003.5 titanium gray mazdaspeed protege #1490: parted rip...

2013 Abarth, 2004 MSM - FM, '74 BMW Bavaria, 97 Civic EX B18C1

Quote Originally Posted by SCMP3 View Post
    so does your car have a glass back window? and it clears the harness bar? nice build mang
    I have the HardDog M2 Sport bar with harness bar, and a glass rear window and it clears perfectly fine. Gotta convince it a little bit when it's colder, but that's more due to the hardware of the top than the window.

yes. It clears it . the harness bar pretty much takes the place of were the windblocker was.
    if I would have gotten the welded in harness bar when purchasing the roll bar It would not have cleared it.

notice how it sits further back than the bolt in harness bar i have.

my car has an aftermarket top. it has had it since I got the car. the glass is wider and a little taller and even then it clears the harness bar. But I had to fiddle with it so i could clear the double diagonals.
    Last edited by psyco-joe; 11-26-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast