Wheelskin leather steering wheel cover install

Nurburgringer

:
'12 Mazda5 Sp 6MT (traded in on T&C)
One of the things that's been bugging me about the 5 is the thin, rubbery yet slippery, lame steering wheel. It sucks that Mazda, a supposedly driver-oriented yet market-saavy company, forces people who like to use 3 pedals to deal with no "luxury" options at all.
We've been rowing through the gears with a fantastic leather Miata shift knob since we bought the 5 one year and 20,000 miles ago, but just got around to addressing the tiller.

Don Mallinson of DC Car Care answered a bunch of questions and quickly shipped me a black 14.5" x 3-7/8" Wheelskin cover with red thread.
http://www.dccarcare.com/whlskns.html
BTW - his price of ~$40 is about $15 less than ordering off Wheelskins' site so I'd definitely recommend going with him for this.
Although I toyed with burgundy or grey leather (would have brightened up the otherwise rather dark and monotonous black interior IMO) went with boring black and racy red thread (which is apparently discontinued, but he had some laying around which he was kind enough to send me. Current thread colors from Wheelskin are Black, Grey, Tan and White).

I opted to do the "regular" single stitch rather than the "Baseball" style described on his website, don't regret this.
Here's what the Baseball stitching looks like on another wheel: http://www.dccarcare.com/images/tipsimages/Crossstitch2.jpeg

Our BMW's leather wheel has red and blue cross-stitched thread and looks very nice, but I rightly guessed that the Wheelskin wouldn't fit exactly around the rim's circumference and therefore wouldn't lay perfectly flat.
This was only partly correct. For most of the wheel the 3-7/8" wide cover mates up just about perfectly when the thread was tightened, but for some reason in the 4-5 O'Clock area you might be able to see a little "bunching" where I suspect the cover wasn't EXACTLY 3-7/8 wide. Anyway this is in an area I don't usually put my hands (I'm a 10-2 kind of guy) so it doesn't bother me.

One thing that does bother me a little is the occasionally mis-spaced thread holes, which give the stitch a bit of a Frankenstein's
neck-scar look. It's not bad and would be almost invisible if black thread instead of red were used, hopefully it won't bug me too much.

The thread is quite heavy and coated with a tacky substance that helps it stay in place (and will get on your fingers&hands somewhat) once you've completed a thread (still want to leave about 6" of thread to pull the previous loop tight before finishing the current loop, and then hold the previous loop down with a finger while threading through the NEXT loop). I wrapped my right index finger with tape to protect it when pushing the (thick) needle through, not a bad idea.

I expected the three thick "spokes" to be the biggest problem, but it was relatively easy to route the thread through the cover, behind the spokes using common sense and a few undoing of stitches when it didn't work out.
Don had recommended against taking the wheel off and tucking the Wheelskin under the three spokes' covers (due to the airbag - you've got to treat this like a bomb. I followed this guy's Youtube instructions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onm5QAXhm4I ), but I'm really glad I did this. Not having the 3 plastic trim pieces overlap the cover on three spokes (especially the two side ones) would have really stood out in a bad way, both visual and tactile.

Once you remove the airbag and the cruise/radio plug from the column the wheel is removed, pop the rear cover off with 2 tabs and then you have access to the 5 Phillips head screws holding the three trim pieces (two side ones contain the cruise&stereo controls) to the wheel structure. Then you can re-install the wheel with the center 13/16" bolt only snug so it is firmly mounted, yet able to be rotated around for comfort when stitching.

Behind the spokes I used a little hot glue to hold the leather's edges flat against the wheel. I can still feel these (kind of thick since it's folded over) edges under my fingers but it's MUCH better than if there was no glue and the couple inches of loose edge was flapping around. If I did it again I may try cutting the cover's edge 1/2 way through where it goes behind the spokes, which would allow it to be glued down more flat to the stock wheel's surface and be less noticeable to the touch (can't see it).

Total install took a little over 3 hours (including wheel removal) but the threading part was somewhat therapeutic (turn on the garage radio, do one stitch at a time and make sure they're tight!) and the leather feels very nice indeed.

After driving with the leather Wheelskin for about an hour I'm quite happy with it. With my hands in the 10-2 position the seam is barely noticeable under my thumbs (where I'd worried it would be annoying) and palms (thanks to be the trim covers), and just a bit odd under my finger tips on the back. The added thickness and feel of the leather is really great, changes the whole driving experience if you can believe it. Plus the supple sheen of the leather adds a richness and bit of luxury to the interior that's lacking in the Sport model.
For my paws the added thickness is perfect and although I can feel the seem it's less distracting than I thought it would be.

Now just need to find a wrecked Grand Touring someone's parting out to get heated black leather seats and my trusty 5 will be just about how I want her.

Happy driving!
Kurt

OEM wheel. Barf.
before.jpg

pre-threading (note: the wheel has to be taken out to remove the trim pieces, this is after temporarily re-installing for threading)
1fit.jpg

Started at about 10:30 if the wheel were a clock-face
2start.jpg

Done threading, time to take the wheel out again to put the trim covers back on, then re-install and torque down the wheel and re-install the horn&airbag.
3done.jpg

Center spoke (seam about 1/8" off center, doh). Need to trim a bit of the leather with a fresh X-Acto blade to open up space for the trim cover's post, also on the two side spokes.
4centerspoke.jpg

Left spoke - the seam above this was the start/finish and shows the most "bunching", but it's not as bad as it looks in the pic and should go down once the leather "relaxes" some.
5sidespoke.jpg

Button covers, horn/airbag installed. In person the "bunching" doesn't look as prominent as in the pic and should get better after sitting for a while.
6donewide.jpg

Center Spoke, covered
7centerspokecloseup.jpg

Side spoke, covered
8sidespokecloseup.jpg

Back side of side spoke, with hot glue to hold it flat
9sidespokeback.jpg

Side shot. Perfect size for my hands now
9sideshot.jpg

Slightly inconsistent holes, bit of a Frankenstein look in places
frankenstein.jpg

Gratuitous shot, freshly washed with winter shoes on
9outside.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. I hear you on Mazda's equipment decisions. My wife was willing to get an auto to get the Touring level equipment. I was just at the dealer looking at a CX-5 for myself, but can't get over the Sport's equipment level and color options compared to the Touring.

I had a few Accords and Civics that had a dealer-accessory leather wrap available. Totally transformed the feel, and look of the car from the driver's seat. Neat thing about those covers is they were not perforated where the wheel spokes were. Yours are mostly covered up so not so noticeable.

I have done a wheel 2-3 times just to get rid of the slightly off alignment you have on the lower spoke of your wheel. Back then the amount of time spent in the car combined with my OCD would have been too much for me, lol.

I love the job you did with the Wheelskins installation. I have done this myself 3 times on other vehicles and did not even think about pulling off the steering wheel components and panels to get the look that you got with yours. I think the wheel covers from Wheelskins are great and it definitely dresses up the interior and improves the feel of the wheel itself. Wonderful work!

Looks pretty good. I hear you on Mazda's equipment decisions. My wife was willing to get an auto to get the Touring level equipment. I was just at the dealer looking at a CX-5 for myself, but can't get over the Sport's equipment level and color options compared to the Touring.

I had a few Accords and Civics that had a dealer-accessory leather wrap available. Totally transformed the feel, and look of the car from the driver's seat. Neat thing about those covers is they were not perforated where the wheel spokes were. Yours are mostly covered up so not so noticeable.

I have done a wheel 2-3 times just to get rid of the slightly off alignment you have on the lower spoke of your wheel. Back then the amount of time spent in the car combined with my OCD would have been too much for me, lol.

Before we bought the 5 I even emailed Mazda NA, asking if I could special order a Grand Touring with a 6 speed. Not surprisingly, got a polite but firm "No."
I'm a bit of a steering wheel freak. Custom built a mount using a spare wheel to install a Momo in my 1989 Taurus SHO, and have a vintage Momo wheel in my CRX, as well as the stock Momo in my 308.
TaurusSHOinterior.jpg

Have 5 or 6 wheels of various ages and designs hanging in the garage, the star is a Jaguar E-Type wheel my dad had left over when he restored one in the early 80s.
So the one in the 5 was bugging me pretty bad....
The bottom seam being off 1/8" or so won't bother me as much as the spacing between stitch holes, but I can easily live with this.
Don would probably send me another one, but not nearly worth my time to take this one off and redo the whole thing (even though with this experience I'm sure the second one would be even better/more even/less bunching etc). Close enough! :)

I love the job you did with the Wheelskins installation. I have done this myself 3 times on other vehicles and did not even think about pulling off the steering wheel components and panels to get the look that you got with yours. I think the wheel covers from Wheelskins are great and it definitely dresses up the interior and improves the feel of the wheel itself. Wonderful work!

Thanks much Mark!
The appearance is truly nice, but like you say best of all is the chunkier size and great feel of good quality leather. Perfect balance of smooth and grippy.

Another thread in the Mazda 3 section I think linked this place that does customer wheel covering.
Beautiful work but I can imagine even a basic cover costing 10x what the wheelskin set me back...

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm

Back