Cargo Weight limit

kaz65

:
CX-5 GT AWD
Hey everyone

quick question I am jsut curious to knwo exactly how much cargo weight the CX-5 can handle? When i got the car the dealership told me atleast 2000 pounds however on the door it says should not exceed 800lbs...
that does not seem like a lot for a SUV 4 people at 200 pounds that is it. can anyone confirm the exact weight limit?

this is for a GT AWD

thanks

Hey everyone

quick question I am jsut curious to knwo exactly how much cargo weight the CX-5 can handle? When i got the car the dealership told me atleast 2000 pounds however on the door it says should not exceed 800lbs...
that does not seem like a lot for a SUV 4 people at 200 pounds that is it. can anyone confirm the exact weight limit?

this is for a GT AWD

thanks

Another lame claim by a car salesperson, it never ends.

The 2000 pound number is weight limit for trailer towing (maximum trailer weight), as specified in owners manual.

The 800 pound number sounds correct for passengers and luggage combined in the vehicle (compact SUV).

Hey everyone

this is for a GT AWD

thanks

My us GT says 850 lbs. I suspect it low to discourage lawsuits. Anyone outside of NA care to check and let us know what the vehicle is capable of in your country?

Another lame claim by a car salesperson, it never ends.

The 2000 pound number is weight limit for trailer towing (maximum trailer weight), as specified in owners manual.

The 800 pound number sounds correct for passengers and luggage combined in the vehicle (compact SUV).

he told me towing was 2000 but really 800 pounds what the hell can't carry much with that limit... it is kind of crazy. should not be an SUV most cars carry well over 1000 pounds.

Hey everyone

this is for a GT AWD

My Touring AWD says 850 lbs. But keep in mind these are conservative ratings. The tires are rated for much more and the car isn't going to fail in normal driving if you have more weight, sensibly loaded. The more cargo weight a vehicle has, the more careful the driver should be of high speeds, potholes, speed bumps, etc. This is true from the smallest moped to the largest semi tractor trailer.

Does the GT really weigh 50 more lbs.? I would assume the GVWR are the same between the touring and GT models.

thanks

Somehow my message disappeared. My CX-5 Touring AWD has a cargo weight rating of 850 lbs. Does the GT really weigh a full 50 more lbs? Hard to imagine.

Last edited:
he told me towing was 2000 but really 800 pounds what the hell can't carry much with that limit... it is kind of crazy. should not be an SUV most cars carry well over 1000 pounds.

Most SUV's are not compact SUV's with sub-2.0L 4 cylinder engines, therefore they carry closer to 1000 pounds. How does the 800-850 pound capacity compare to other compact SUV's like CRV, Escape, Forrester, Rogue (main CX-5 competitors) for example. But I see what you mean that some of the more powerful compact SUVs are 950-1000 pounds.

Last edited:
it is kind of crazy. should not be an SUV most cars carry well over 1000 pounds.

Why do you keep calling it an SUV? I've always thought of it as a compact/crossover with plenty of interior room and excellent driving dynamics. I hate SUV's for all their faults and the CX-5 is about as far from an SUV as any crossover. However, I've always though "SUV's" were a misnomer. Nothing sporty about them. The CX-5 actually fits the literal meaning of the acronym "SUV" better than any actual SUV out there. And that's why I'm a happy owner.

not too sure but the equinox is in the same class and can carry more.

my girlfriend has a 07 cobalt and is able to carry 900 pounds it says.
would relally like to find out outside of NA and what the other cars you mentioned can take

Why do you keep calling it an SUV? I've always thought of it as a compact/crossover with plenty of interior room and excellent driving dynamics. I hate SUV's for all their faults and the CX-5 is about as far from an SUV as any crossover. However, I've always though "SUV's" were a misnomer. Nothing sporty about them. The CX-5 actually fits the literal meaning of the acronym "SUV" better than any actual SUV out there. And that's why I'm a happy owner.

It's a compact SUV, it's just a name. Crossover is a another valid name for sure. btw-SUV has nothing to do with BOF or unibody.

SUV covers a wide array of vehicles. Bowling and Rugby are two VERY different sports, but they are both in the "sport" category. CUV, SUV, Crossover....different names for similar things.

most cars carry well over 1000 pounds.

cars sit lower, if you load up a high sitting vehicle it tends to want to roll over more.

not too sure but the equinox is in the same class and can carry more.

the equinox weighs nearly 600 lbs more so adding more weight has less of an affect on the center of gravity.

Last edited:
it was an old post, but yesterday I just carried about 921 pounds on my CX-5. And made me nervous, so I did a quick research. Post here for someone need it. ^^
Totally is about 1200 pounds.
Please check the attachment.

Attachments

• load.jpg
    load.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 662
Back