Standard Suspension Coilovers

tehpeach

:
2012 Mazda 2 Sport 5MT - True Red
I know one person on this forum has these installed. Anyone want to chime in on how they ride?

I know they're the only coilover for the 2 that has camber plates. I also gave them a call about pricing and spring rates and the person I spoke with said they're doing a sale right now.. $1380 with free shipping or something like that. Normally around $1500. Spring rates are 6kg 336lbs FRONT, 3kg 178lbs REAR. I'll most likely be picking up a set of these for STF this spring unless something crazy like an Ohlins setup gets developed before then, then i'll save my pennies for just a little while longer. (2thumbs)

I know one person on this forum has these installed. Anyone want to chime in on how they ride?

I know they're the only coilover for the 2 that has camber plates. I also gave them a call about pricing and spring rates and the person I spoke with said they're doing a sale right now.. $1380 with free shipping or something like that. Normally around $1500. Spring rates are 6kg 336lbs FRONT, 3kg 178lbs REAR. I'll most likely be picking up a set of these for STF this spring unless something crazy like an Ohlins setup gets developed before then, then i'll save my pennies for just a little while longer. (2thumbs)

Which one are you referring to? LINK

I currently don't have a distributor that carry Standard Suspension but I've contacted Standard to see if they'll sell to me. Maybe i can get you a lower price than that. No doubt they are giving you a retail price. We'll see what they say. :)

Those spring rates are pretty bad.

Why not get AST's? That is what I am planning to do. There are a number of ways to get more camber so I am not making that part of my decision for suspension.

Why not get AST's? That is what I am planning to do. There are a number of ways to get more camber so I am not making that part of my decision for suspension.

I was considering it, never heard of AST but they look pretty good. I checked their website but they don't have anything listed specifically for the 2. Could you send me a PM with details on what would be needed? Thanks!

Thanks. Haven't heard from them yet.

I do have awesome deals on Ksport, Tanabe and ST Suspension. None have camber adjustments but you could always get camber bolts. Although camber bolts won't work for the Mazda 2 rears.

I heard back from Standard Suspension today and they are willing to work with me. As soon as I set up my account with them I'll be able to give you and anyone a quote for their coilover kits. Who's interest? ;)

And why you said that? 6/3 is actually better than 5/3 most kits have. And this is pretty safe, car remains with it's natural behavior of pushing. If you want more rotation, just buy a CS torsion bar... Like I did.

And why you said that? 6/3 is actually better than 5/3 most kits have. And this is pretty safe, car remains with it's natural behavior of pushing. If you want more rotation, just buy a CS torsion bar... Like I did.

It's all preferential and opinion based on how the driver wants the car to handle.

Essentially, and many sources can be had to back me up on this, and based on my own opinion, 6/3 would push harder than 5/3 (though not by much). FWD cars always handle faster/better with controlled rotation.

It's all preferential and opinion based on how the driver wants the car to handle.

Essentially, and many sources can be had to back me up on this, and based on my own opinion, 6/3 would push harder than 5/3 (though not by much). FWD cars always handle faster/better with controlled rotation.

Trust me CRG, I know!

My last FWD was a BJ (03 Proteg) with custom 9/7 coilovers, rear arms, big adj. 21.5mm rear sway, etc... That car was eager to rotate!

But we have to keep in mind that 6/3 are the 'normal' dual-purpose rates and that they can be changed and/or add a rear torsion bar. I have the standard kit with the CS 19mm bar, and that car rotate. Not as eager as the Pro, but lift the throttle mid corner and the front tuck in nicely. It is VERY safe, way more than the Pro.

Basically, at the end of the day, it's all subjective to what the driver wants. I could sit here and argue my side of the debate, you'll have your side, I'll still have my side, you'll have your side.

Now, not saying YOU would do this specifically, but that's what I've found with forums so now I tend to stay away.

You can choose what ever rates you want. Everyone has a different use of the car and has a different preference in the handling. To me front to rear ratio is pretty uneven when you look at it from a performance perspective. When you look at the natural frequency of the chassis the front to rear balance isn't optimal IMO. I mean springs are easy to change as long as the valving is decent which is what really matters.

The Bilstein rates are closer to my liking. 275F/230R from what I have read.

Basically, at the end of the day, it's all subjective to what the driver wants. I could sit here and argue my side of the debate, you'll have your side, I'll still have my side, you'll have your side.

Now, not saying YOU would do this specifically, but that's what I've found with forums so now I tend to stay away.

That's so real! :)

You can choose what ever rates you want. Everyone has a different use of the car and has a different preference in the handling. To me front to rear ratio is pretty uneven when you look at it from a performance perspective. When you look at the natural frequency of the chassis the front to rear balance isn't optimal IMO. I mean springs are easy to change as long as the valving is decent which is what really matters.

The Bilstein rates are closer to my liking. 275F/230R from what I have read.

Standard can do about anything custom... I agree that for my type of driving, a set of R9* with something like 7/5 rates would be better.

* R9 are inverted, with the race oil of the non-inverted R7 family.

That's so real! :)

Isn't it? It's unfortunate, but unfortunately it's true.

Btw, Fonty, I too am waiting on updates from that. Depending on my financial situation, I'm looking to change up my suspension setup next year.

Hey Greensleeper, do you have any pics of your STD Suspension out of the car.. or even on. I'd like to see and analyze their suspension

Btw, Fonty, I too am waiting on updates from that. Depending on my financial situation, I'm looking to change up my suspension setup next year.

I'll be here. Hopefully they reply soon. There seems to be interest from them to work with me. I think it was that they went to SEMA. :)

Latest posts

Back