We WILL Be Getting a Second Generation MAZDA 2 in 2015 (But There's a HUGE Catch)

EconoBox

:
2012 Mazda Mazda2 Touring MT
Okay, so it definitely looks like we will be getting a second generation Mazda 2 - SORT OF. Mazda and Toyota have joined up as business partners. Mazda will be building a subcompact to be sold in the U.S. under the Toyota name plate (logic says that it will be the next generation Yaris). This is good news, plus we get to give Mazda some money. But the bad news is that it won't have KODO styling (Mazda's go forward styling theme) and will most likely wear hideous Toyota styling. : ( : ( : ( The Mazda soul will be there, but it's gonna be wearing ugly clothes. : ( : ( : (

Don't give Toyota too much credit, I'm sure they can find a way to kill the soul of the 2 with extra weight and poor suspension.

Mazda will probably have their own version of the car, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Don't give Toyota too much credit, I'm sure they can find a way to kill the soul of the 2 with extra weight and poor suspension.

Mazda will probably have their own version of the car, so I wouldn't worry too much.

I have to disagree. More and more Toyotas are gearing more towards performance. This is a perfect way for them to get it done whilst spending less - in the same way that they teamed w/ Subaru to get the Scion FR-S. If they wanted to keep the Yaris soul less and stupid, they would just massage the platform and do a big refresh. They clearly want the next Yaris to be fun.

I work in the parts department at a Toyota and they just broke the news to us. If I hear anything else ill keep you guys posted. Good news for me if they have any interchangable parts.

Yeah, I'm a bit optimistic about this. I think Toyota might be realizing that they need some help when it comes to making fun cars these days, and that Mazda has the right platform to do it with. They're definitely not doing it because they don't have the production capacity; Toyota is huge and they could easily manufacture the car themselves. I think it's just like the FR-S/BRZ deal. Mazda needs all the help it can get financially (though I did just read that they finally turned a profit in Japan), so I see it as a real win-win. The only bummer, really, is that it involves the Mexico plant...Mexican-built car is a big do not want in my book.

I have to disagree. More and more Toyotas are gearing more towards performance. This is a perfect way for them to get it done whilst spending less - in the same way that they teamed w/ Subaru to get the Scion FR-S. If they wanted to keep the Yaris soul less and stupid, they would just massage the platform and do a big refresh. They clearly want the next Yaris to be fun.

So far Toyota has only made 1 car in the past 5 years that isn't a total snorefest. I'm not yet convinced that they've put beige behind them and are "moving foward" like they always say. I don't think they would be able to completely ruin the 2, but it will likely be a heavier and slower version of the car, much like the Fiesta.

According to the article it WILL NOT replace the Yaris. I'm thinking this could be a new Scion sub-compact. Maybe.

Toyota spokesman Dion Corbett clarified that it will be a new offering that will not replace another model in the brand's range (the Yaris in particular).

LINK

Last edited:
So far Toyota has only made 1 car in the past 5 years that isn't a total snorefest. I'm not yet convinced that they've put beige behind them and are "moving foward" like they always say. I don't think they would be able to completely ruin the 2, but it will likely be a heavier and slower version of the car, much like the Fiesta.

Toyota knows that and is why they partnered with Subaru to build the FRS/GT86/BRZ. As we know they did a great job. So to me Toyota is actively trying to improve their brand imagine into what they used to be. Partnering up with Mazda is a good thing. If Toyota has any plans to do what they did with the FRS/BRZ then we can expect some good things. Maybe Mazda makes some good money from this and gives us a MAZDASPEED2. I can dream. :)

I don't see Mazda making the next 2 heavier. That goes against what they do. Honest i see this going down the exact same road the FRS/BRZ did. Share the same platform. Different logos. Slightly different body work. I see a new Scion coming.

Last edited:
like others have said, this will probably be like the toyobaru venture.

which to me means that mazda will also have its version, which will still carry plenty of zoom zoom.

just look at the frs/86. it looks like subaru did most of the work.

so, here is hoping the toyazda works out well.

im going to trademark that name by the way.

Toyazda2.

It started here first... i think.

Mazda2 Hybrid. [video]http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1080378_toyota-to-get-mazda2-based-subcompact[/video]

i want to see what this thing looks like. i am nervous and excited! i would love to be able to get another "2" down the road when im ready to trade in. i love this car i hope it doesn't go away completely or get ruined :(. I have faith though Toyota is a pretty solid car company making pretty damn reliable cars. and obviously i love mazda. i hope they both can collaborate well and come up with something amazing for us!

i want to see what this thing looks like. i am nervous and excited! i would love to be able to get another "2" down the road when im ready to trade in. i love this car i hope it doesn't go away completely or get ruined :(. I have faith though Toyota is a pretty solid car company making pretty damn reliable cars. and obviously i love mazda. i hope they both can collaborate well and come up with something amazing for us!

I'm with you. This could mean great things for the new Mazda 2. Two door option? MAZDASPEED2 option?..... maybe.

Back