Anyone install a auto dimming mirror?

Burl

:
Mazda CX-5
Our CX-5 is about a month old, and I'll be purchasing an auto-dimming rearview mirror from one of the factory parts sources. I've seen the instructions for installing the mirror, but has anyone done this? Is it a plug-and-play type of install as it seems in the instructions?

Hi, I'm a newby so please be gentle if I didn't follow the rules and guidelines (which I DID at least read). I would like to install an Auto-Dimming Rear view mirror with Homelink and Compass (normally a $295 accessory + installation, which I have found on Ebay from QuirkParts for $240, so I should save about $50 + at least $100 installation cost by DIY). My car is a 2016 CX-5 AWD Grand Touring WITHOUT technology package, but WITH rain-sensing wipers. I'm hoping the genuine Mazda mirror will come with the installation instructions, but does anyone who has done this have any tips for me? Such as, what additional materials I might need to buy that are not included in the installation kit? Or any tricks to do the installation without messing up? Also did you find the mirror somewhere at a lower cost?

I bought an auto-dimming mirror on ebay for $100. Took about 20 minutes or so to put it on. Works great too.

Hi, I'm a newby so please be gentle if I didn't follow the rules and guidelines (which I DID at least read). I would like to install an Auto-Dimming Rear view mirror with Homelink and Compass (normally a $295 accessory + installation, which I have found on Ebay from QuirkParts for $240, so I should save about $50 + at least $100 installation cost by DIY). My car is a 2016 CX-5 AWD Grand Touring WITHOUT technology package, but WITH rain-sensing wipers. I'm hoping the genuine Mazda mirror will come with the installation instructions, but does anyone who has done this have any tips for me? Such as, what additional materials I might need to buy that are not included in the installation kit? Or any tricks to do the installation without messing up? Also did you find the mirror somewhere at a lower cost?
Like most things, if you do a search on this forum you'll find earlier threads dealing with this subject. Assuming not much has changed from the earlier models, it's a relatively easy install and the Mazda kit includes everything you'll need. The only tricky part that I recall (I was going to do this so I researched it early on, then decided I could live without it.) was removing the left A-pillar molding to access the electrical connection can be a bit difficult without breaking some of the clips. However I think Mazda includes a couple of clips in the kit, so that should not be of great concern.

Am I the only person left that prefers the manual flip-up rear view mirror? Anytime I drive with an "automatic" one, it doesn't work and I get blinded.

Am I the only person left that prefers the manual flip-up rear view mirror? Anytime I drive with an "automatic" one, it doesn't work and I get blinded.
I've always found they work fine. I just don't think they're necessarily worth the extra $$; but if they come with the car I'm fine with them.

I installed (what turned out to be) a 2013 autodim mirror in my 2014 car. The install was fairly easy, but the harness had changed for the newer car and I needed to do some detective work to fix it :)

My experience here, just FYI - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...or-FIXED-Problem-with-included-wiring-harness

It has worked perfectly ever since and the autodim function works very well (as do the homelink buttons and compass)... I would certainly do it again.

Back