Rattling noise in engine compartment (possibly engine mount? Pics included.)

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey guys! I posted a question about this rattling noise back in December last year, but I never ended up figuring it out and I kind of gave up for a while. The gist of the problem is that when go over a slight bump (just enough to shake the car, but never a large thud or stress on the suspension like potholes or speedbumps) there comes a rattling sound from the front of my car that sounds like the compressor on a mini-fridge when it bumps metal during movement.

Here's the original thread (I wasn't sure if I should just continue that thread (grave-digging) or start a new one. If I should've continued that thread, would a Mod please combine them? Thanks!)

After looking at my car once again today, I saw what looked possibly like a broken bottom engine mount. Pictures are attached. Can you tell from any of these pics if it's broken?(assuming you can see them good enough. I tried to do my best, but it's really tight under there!) Thanks a million, guys! I really appreciate it! :)

CameraZOOM-20121103172032328.jpg

CameraZOOM-20121103172116095.jpg

CameraZOOM-20121103173217750.jpg

I guess now what I know what a broken motor mount looks like, I found that at least one of the others is broken too. Now to my fairly newb mind the question is, should I stick with rubber or go polyurethane? With as little power as my P5 has, would polyurethane actually be a worthwhile investment?

The poly u although is a perminant solution has a cost. Mazda uses rubber because it isolates vibration really well.
You have a 10 year old car with a broken mount. Original Equipment will do you for another 10 years. As a person who has poly-U mounts, the vibration is significantly more noticeable

Awesome. Thank you both for your help! I'm going to have to go with the rubber ones, as I really can't afford the polyurethane ones I was looking at over at ProtegeGarage. I noticed the front mount and the passenger mounts are both busted, but I'll take a closer look at the driver side mount and try to locate and check the transmission mount too tomorrow. Thanks again! :)

I agree with Brian, get a new set of OEM mounts and you'll be set for another decade. No matter what they claim, aftermarket mounts aren't made as well as OEM mounts (the beck/arnley right mount doesn't even fit properly!). OnlineMazdaParts.com has pretty good prices for OEM stuff.

What they said lol but also check your heatshields, mine tended to rattle a lot and sounded that same way.

Back