Gear shift light

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
I feel like this is a stupid question but it is driving me nuts. Does the letters by the gear shift light up at night? ie the P R N D by the gear shift My gear shift is not lit up....I feel like in my previous cars this did light up at night.

It says your gear on the dash...besides its very easy to feel your gear in these cars without looking.

i know, I know....i knew I would sound like an idiot asking this question....Its just when i was on vacation the other day visiting my mom, and she drove the vehicle at night she said she could not see what gear she was putting it in.....my response in my head at least was WTF are you talking about, lol.....

The letters light up when the light switch is in the DRL or Headlight position. Maybe she didn't have the headlights on or maybe it's tied to a fuse?

Hi Snowie78, I have the same question as you about the gear shift not lighting up (I have a CX-5). Did you find out a solution? Please let me know. Thanks a lot. Greg

2013-2013 with the gated shifter do not have the console gear indicator. 2014.5+ without the gated shifter do.

2013-2013 with the gated shifter do not have the console gear indicator. 2014.5+ without the gated shifter do.

OK, I'm confused by what you mean there. Certainly, I have a 2014 (w/gated shifter) and it has the backlit gate 'plan' beside the shifter, and the readout on the left gauge of the cluster.

2014.5+ CX-5's uses the same non-gated shifter as the Mazda3. Take note of the gear indicator light.

36-2014-mazda3-fd.jpg

I have a 2014 (w/gated shifter) and it has the backlit gate 'plan' beside the shifter, and the readout on the left gauge of the cluster.

Could you take a picture of your gated shifter at night? I have the 2014 touring but there's no light at the shifter, I never pay attention much to it because with the gated shifter I know which gear I'm in without even looking at the gauge, maybe they didn't plug the connector.

Could you take a picture of your gated shifter at night? I have the 2014 touring but there's no light at the shifter, I never pay attention much to it because with the gated shifter I know which gear I'm in without even looking at the gauge, maybe they didn't plug the connector.
Sorry, I missed this earlier. Mine looks exactly like the image that GTSpeedster posted (reply above yours). If you want to check your bulb/connection, the shifter panel just unclips upwards, giving you access to the bulb and wire...

attachment.php

Attachments

• shifter_panel.jpg
    shifter_panel.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 18,463
Gated Shifter and lights on.

Attachments

• IMG_20140323_142217.jpg
    IMG_20140323_142217.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 3,844
I plugged in the light connector and now I got light at the shifter :) . I wonder why Mazda didn't plug them in (huh). Here a thought, maybe they forgot the plug in or include the LED for the lock/unlock backlight on the driver side as well, because the switch look like it's transparent.

I plugged in the light connector and now I got light at the shifter :) . I wonder why Mazda didn't plug them in (huh). Here a thought, maybe they forgot the plug in or include the LED for the lock/unlock backlight on the driver side as well, because the switch look like it's transparent.
How did you remove the shift panel, with a screwdriver? Also once the shift panel is removed how did you know which is the light connector ...sorry I'm not very handy.

How did you remove the shift panel, with a screwdriver? Also once the shift panel is removed how did you know which is the light connector ...sorry I'm not very handy.

First unscrew the shifter knob by turning it counter clockwise and remove it. I had a plastic tools but you can use a flat head screw driver, make sure to tape the end so you won't scratch the plastic cover. It's quite easy to remove, you can almost lift it up by grapping hard and lift up as shown from the picture post above from RedBaron. You can see there's a white connector come up from the bottom, there's only one, just attach it to the receiving end on the cover you just removed. That should be it.

Hmmm.. So the gated shifter also has light. I'll definitely have to check later tonight. LOL. I think I never saw it lit.

On another note, it's a bit annoying that there's no light in the glovebox. My Elantra 2007 even had a light bulb in there.

Edit: I checked mine, they are lit when I turn on headlight.
One thing I noticed though was that the rattle I had comes from this area. When I kept it pressed there's no more rattle.

Last edited:
First unscrew the shifter knob by turning it counter clockwise and remove it. I had a plastic tools but you can use a flat head screw driver, make sure to tape the end so you won't scratch the plastic cover. It's quite easy to remove, you can almost lift it up by grapping hard and lift up as shown from the picture post above from RedBaron. You can see there's a white connector come up from the bottom, there's only one, just attach it to the receiving end on the cover you just removed. That should be it.

thanks tdamn...I'll try it without removing the shifter knob

Back