Trans fluid light brown 50 miles after flush!

Tink

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So I had a trans flush done at the local Jiffy Lube (I know, brave guy right?), and within 50 miles the fluid is already a light brown color. I saw him hook the machine up to it, so I'm pretty sure he really did do a flush (not sure about a filter change though... I doubt it). I drove it home and then some, and just checked the fluid today, and found it was light brown. Below is a picture for reference, on the left is new fluid and right is mine after 50 miles. Any ideas?

photo-1.jpg

How many miles were on it before flushing it? It's not possible to get all of the fluid so it may have just mixed in

How many miles were on it before flushing it? It's not possible to get all of the fluid so it may have just mixed in

^ This...

If there's new fluid in it, and you don't mind dropping the pan, than just check your strainer, the P5 doesn't really have a "filter" in the transmission, just a fine mesh screen. New fluid should have plenty of viscosity to ensure proper sealing, lubrication, and operation. If it just mixed with some of the residual fluid in the tranny, it should be fine. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

It's just like an oil change you won't get all of the oil or gunk out of it, I changed the oil in my Honda 3 times in 4,000 miles before it would stay light brown. The first time it was black within 600 miles

^
A Real trans Flush should actually get ALL the fluid out of the system. They hook up a machine to your trans, and it drains, and then cycles new fluid in place to fully replace all the old fluid.

What you were doing was just a drain and fill yourself. which wouldnt even replace 1/2 of the fluid in the system. So it would stay darker and dirtier. This is exactly why its worth it to go to a shop, and spend the money on a true trans Flush on a ATX equipped car.

I myself am cheap, and drive ALOT! So i just drain, and fill my ATX in my Kia every 15k miles. Since i do it so often, it never really gets a chance to get dirty at all.

I just bought the car used with 137k on it. I'm not sure when it was changed last. I do see that they sell trans filter kits for the car, is it like fine mesh in a metal cartridge type filter? You guys think I should drop the pan and do another change? Any recommendations on a trans fluid?

Thanks for the help, just worried about getting stuck with a trans problem.

Hey Tink,

Does not hurt to drop the pan and change the strainer!!! While you are in there it also gives you a chance to clean all the sh*t off of the catch magnet on the bottom of the pan!!

These transmissions seem to do pretty well if not abused!! I bought my P5 second hand from a customer who took good care of it at 240,00km.... I have done what I listed above and I do a drain and fill (3L) every oil change..... I am now at 270,000km and it runs/shifts absolutely perfect (knock on wood, lol)!!

Sean

i would not assume they put the correct fluid in. Take it back and make them PROVE they used the correct fluid and actually did the drain & flush.

Back