Brand New CX-5 Dash Rattling....booo

kin0kin

Well, my less than 1000 KM CX-5 fully loaded is rattling under the front center speaker. The rattle is probably due to the front speaker came loose or something came loose on the front windshield heater vent. Pressing the dash down killed the noise. Will be bringing it to the service center to have it fixed. I sure hope they don't need to tear open the whole dash. Does anybody have this issues? Try hitting around the center speaker area to see if anything rattles.

Btw, does anybody know how to remove the center speaker grill? I've seen pictures on removal of the side speakers but not the front

I just hit 3000 miles on my CX5 and started hearing TWO rattles. One on the passenger door and one which seems to be on the driver airbag safety area. Dealer is trying to figure out how to get rid of them.

Highly disappointing; but I figured it would happen eventually.

I just hit 3000 miles on my CX5 and started hearing TWO rattles. One on the passenger door and one which seems to be on the driver airbag safety area. Dealer is trying to figure out how to get rid of them.

Highly disappointing; but I figured it would happen eventually.

Passenger door is small issue which they can fix very quickly. Most likely a non padded cable tapping against something. Under the dash is something rather serious. I don't want them prying the center black trim off and removing the headunit. I've tore my whole Toyota Solara up before, hoping to get my hands on the service manual. Sadly mazda service center is closed till Monday

Yes, I am having this same exact problem too. The dash rattles right between the gauges and the center speaker grille. Pressing down on the dash dampens it temporarily. It sounds like a loose wiring harness or something. Has anyone else had this fixed or fixed it themselves? Does anybody know what it is?

Btw, does anybody know how to remove the center speaker grill? I've seen pictures on removal of the side speakers but not the front

The center grill comes up the same way as the sides; it just pops up. I used my fingers to push the soft dash down around the grill and then used a flat wide screwdriver to pop it up. make sure you pop the whole thing up evenly and do not bend the grill.

Rattle in the dash started at around 4000 km. Just waiting for the first oil change to get it checked out by the dealer.

same here - center rattle only when cold -

Front passenger door maybe rattle, all the time.

@3500miles - I may wait until 7500 service to get it fixed.

Interestingly, you can add me to the list. I don't drive the CX-5 often, but when I did yesterday, I heard quite a racket from below the middle dash, like I hadn't heard before. It was not cold out, but was indeed cooler.

I'll have to pry my old lady to see how often it is rattling, if she even notices. Lol!

3 days and 300 miles so far (100 by me) and its not rattling while driving but the bass is making the right dash speaker rattle...kind of annoyed

I'm assuming everyone is having theirs rattle without the radio on right?

Mine does it with and without the radio on, so I would assume it is not the speaker itself.

mines developed one when it is cooler out too. It is parked inside an insulated garage so it doesn't get below the mid 60s but it is enough cooler for it to rattle now from the dash.

I'm assuming everyone is having theirs rattle without the radio on right?

no, I crank up the music to drown out the rattle. How high is your bass set? Don't the door speakers handle most of the low tones?

My bass isn't all the way up, its 2 or 3 less than max. The doors do handle most of the low tones but they aren't rattling, its coming from the right dash.

Overall I am experiencing the same "muddy" bass that everyone else has. I am looking to either replace the 3.5" dash speakers or add a 5 ch digital processor

I am having exactly the same rattle - centre dash - worse when it is cold. Took it in to the garage but they need it in overnight so they can hear it cold.

I am having exactly the same rattle - centre dash - worse when it is cold. Took it in to the garage but they need it in overnight so they can hear it cold.

Please let us know what they say is the problem.

Just had my first oil change at 5000 miles at a local Mazda dealership past weekend and brought up the TSB issue Ref. # R017/12C regarding rattle on center dash when car is cold.
They claimed that they had tightened all the screws for the cowl as per the instructions on the PDF. However, I can still hear the rattle noise this morning. It was 31 degrees Fahrenheit outside according to the odometer.
I am thinking about going back again this coming weekend for a follow up repair... :-(

I am curious as to outcome, since I get this rattle only sometimes in cold conditions. Please let us know what you find out NuMazdian.

Back