possible exhaust options?

:
Mazda 6 iTouring 6MT
So i'm impatiently waiting for cork sport to release the exhaust for the cx5 so i'm just curious if anyone has any idea on doing a customized exhaust. After looking underneath the cx5 it seems like the best way of doing a exhaust is to mount a round muffler somewhere within the under carriage of the existing exhaust pipe section and run a y pipe after the muffler for the dual exhaust tips. there isn't much room to do anything under there since it's all covered for aerodynamic purposes. feedback would be much appreciated =]

No thanks on ricer-like noise from my daily driver CX-5 4-banger.

My weekend car w/F-sport exhaust on a 3.5 L V6 sounds plenty wicked, so I'm not universally opposed to careful exhaust mods.

Not too sure where the OP asked for commentary on HIS decision to put on an aftermarket exhaust on his ride...it's his decision to do what he wants with his vehicle. If you don't know enough information about Mazda exhausts just say so (I sure don't), don't belittle a poster for curiosity. I'm sure everyone desires to find out a little more about their CX-5's and share in the satisfaction of posting on their respective setups. But leave it at that. Why does it have to turn in to a snooty session based in condescension asking "why would you want to do that...?" It's both annoying and takes away from the overall intent of these forums.
Just a friendly note to the OP, if you want constructive dialogue regarding this issue, you might want to seek out a non-trolling forum that won't attack your inquiries.

If I were a newcomer, I'd be hesitant to ask questions from this group. Let the bashing commence...

why wouldnt i want an exhaust? lol

And I wonder why the responses were what the were? I would like to apologize for taking this further from original topic with a bit of humour.

btw-never got an answer to "why you would like an exhaust on this car", question still stands with or without lol, not an unreasonable question.

Last edited:
Do you happen to have any videos? I'd like to hear.

No but plenty exist for the IS350, just Google: F-Sport Exhaust IS350

But YouTube or iphone videos have limitations from a sound standpoint, best to hear this stuff in person. For example before I purchased the F-Sport exhaust, I test drove a used IS350 equipped with the F-sport exhaust system for 1 hour under a wide variety of conditions/speeds (my Lexus salesperson handed me the keys and told me to come back whenever I want, nice people, super good dealership in Fremont).

To keep things a little more on topic (CX-5 exhaust being topic here), the difference with a louder/sportier-sounding exhaust because of the 2 contrasting engines is huge. A small inline 4 cylinder engine (2.0L Skyactiv with Atkinson cycle mode) will be driven with much larger throttle openings even when driven conservatively, so it will generate a lot of unwanted noise even in cruise mode. Versus a 3.5L 60 degree V6 with 306hp can be driven conservatively with very little throttle and fewer revs and will be very quiet even with a aftermarket exhaust setup. And the sound of a inline 4 versus hiperf V6 accelerating hard with high revs is much different too (to say the least).

Last edited:
I have the C/S exhaust, on my 2.5 and previously, my 2.0 (same exhaust). I like it. I also use it with the c/s intake, and I am having my 2.5 tuned as well. As far as exhausts there are a few cat available; stateside: Racing Beep and Corksport. There are a few JDM options, including a center dual exhaust (mini style) although it requires a different bumper. As is these are purely aesthetics, although they move peak rpm around (higher), they do not provide extra oomph. Short of forced induction and built engine parts you will need a tune for a power increase.

this thread is 2 years old peeps lol, went w c/s and customized the tips

Attachments

• tip4.png
    tip4.png
    464.6 KB · Views: 473
  • tip2.png
    tip2.png
    559.7 KB · Views: 337
to get the most performance out of your exhaust system without wasting too much money your best bet is to delete both the cats and get an ECU tune, then add one more resonator underneath the rear seats. it will sound awesome...

If you are looking for more sound while actually freeing up some horsepower your best bet is to try deleting the second cat. if that is not loud enough for you, then a new axle-back works. alternatively, you can weld resonators behind your exhaust tips where your old muffler used to be for a great drone-free sound at a cheaper price.

here is a diagram of our exhaust system.

sy2kd4.gif

the WU-TWC (Warm-up Three-Way Converter) is inside the exhaust manifold, meaning you cannot remove the monitored cat unless you get aftermarket headers. this means that removing the exposed, unmonitored second cat will not cause any codes and your ECU can adjust to the mod on it's own within 500KM without the need for any sort of tune. this should open up a couple HP (or more, not sure how large this cat is) and will improve the sound without making it annoying. while you're underneath there, I would also recommend taking the factory mid-muffler/resonator and relocating it to underneath the rear passenger seats. DO NOT remove it unless you want an awful riced out honda farting sound.

260diy1.gif

this is a very simple yet effectively designed exhaust design and I personally think it sounds good without being too quiet like other stock exhaust systems.

one thing about resonators I will mention. resonators do exactly that - resonate your exhaust flow. this creates a turbulent flow - essentially a good type of backpressure that GAIN you a few ft/lb of torque. that's right, you will lose power if you delete your resonator unless you can fit an x-pipe (which is impossible due to our single pipe design)

The last exhaust I put on my car was a BURSH exhaust on my 1956 Porsche Super coupe that had a factory Furman cam. This was a special factory set up and sorry I every sold it. It emitted a deep powerful sound that didn't drone or wake up neighbors. So far all vehicles so far have been satisfactory from the manufacture. Ed

The last exhaust I put on my car was a BURSH exhaust on my 1956 Porsche Super coupe that had a factory Furman cam. This was a special factory set up and sorry I every sold it. It emitted a deep powerful sound that didn't drone or wake up neighbors. So far all vehicles so far have been satisfactory from the manufacture. Ed

Im happy with the OEM Mazdas design, but I am thinking of deleting the second up cat and adding one more resonator somewhere in there.

The only exhaust system I havent been too happy with is the OEM system on my 528i. Like it flows decent for being so restrictive but the exhaust emits so much as a fart when youre on it. I deleted the secondary cats at a muffler shop which opened up some engine sound, but it wasnt enough. Next I replaced the OEM muffler with a magnaflow unit that had custom dual tips welded on and that was much better! During shifting or letting go of the throttle after hard acceleration the exhaust crackles and burbles, love it... I noticed the powerband became more linear and steady in the high end and being able to physically feel the exhaust flowing is just so satisfying. The fundamentals of BMWs exhaust is actually quite good in terms of sound/flow, just remove the restrictive stock muffler and youre good to go.

As for the Mazda, I was thinking of replacing the stock muffler with dual resonators behind the exhaust tips, but the stock muffler is purposely shaped all bubbly for aerodynamic purposes so Im not going to remove it.

Back