Keyless Entry System, w/o theft-deterrent system: horn sounds when locking?

DJHakim

For CX-5 w/o the perimeter alarm (just immobilizer) and regular Keyless Entry System (KES), is there a sound (horn or beep) when the doors are locked remotely?

On an actual CX-5 w/o PA, the horn did not sound when the KES lock button was pushed twice. Only the lights flashed when **unlocked**. (A GT with PA did sound the horn when locked.) The June 2012 manual (Page 3-5) is not clear whether the horn should sound with KES. It mentions the "Advanced KES" is supposed to give a beep.

Is there any lock indicator?

My reading of the owners manual (and the way my Touring model operates-with regular keyless entry system) is no honk on first press of button; honk on second press to verify actuation.

Mine with the setup you described (no perimeter alarm, regular keyless entry) does as paris1 says - quiet lock on 1st button press, horn sounds on 2nd button press. I think that the advanced keyless entry beep comes from the remote itself, which the regular one doesn't have.

Hmm. I wonder if it is a programmed feature. The horn did not sound for a vehicle I tested. Do your lights flash when locking, too?

Why the manual is confusing

"(With the advanced keyless function)
A beep sound will be heard once.

To confirm that all doors and the liftgate
have been locked, press the lock button
again within 5 seconds. If they are closed
and locked, the horn will sound."

It was not clear if "(With the advanced keyless function)" applies to the last 2 sentences.

My hazard lights flash when locking with a regular keyless entry (no perimeter alarm), and if I press again within 5 seconds the horn will sound. I'm fairly certain that isn't a programmable feature for us, but the dealer may be able to change it. That info would be in the manual. Actually the way the manual has it, it sounds like the horn sounds if the lock button is pressed twice on the advanced keyless and regular keyless, and only the fob beeps on the advanced with the first push.

edit: specified hazard lights

Last edited:
Aight. I have not found a CX-5 where the horn sounded on pressing the lock button on the keyless remote (w/o perimeter alarm). Maybe they stopped adding this feature in the last 3-4 months of builds? What are your build dates?

Any chance you are double clicking the remote lock button too quickly in succession? If you click quickly, then only the lights flash. If you wait a second between clicks, the horn will sound on the second click.

Aight. I have not found a CX-5 where the horn sounded on pressing the lock button on the keyless remote (w/o perimeter alarm). Maybe they stopped adding this feature in the last 3-4 months of builds? What are your build dates?
My car has a build date of 09/12 and its horn honks on second press. (Also doesn't have any of the early problems such as vibrating hood or rear view mirror, thank god.)

Finally!! I got it to honk on the 2nd press. I think it should honk when you press it the first time. Hmm. I wonder why they chose the 2nd press.

Finally!! I got it to honk on the 2nd press. I think it should honk when you press it the first time. Hmm. I wonder why they chose the 2nd press.
Probably so that you have the option of not making noise and disturbing neighbors, etc if you are locking the car at a very early or very late hour.

How did you fix this? My CX-5 also doesn't honk on the second press, I took it to the dealer and they said it was only for the Advanced KES. Is there anyway to get it to honk on the 2nd press?

press lock twice w/in couple seconds.
ALL doors have to be closed fully, even the pesky rear/trunk/hatch door.

This still doesn't work for me. I have pressed it multiple times in succession when it's locked - no beep.

I have the Australian model built in Feb 2013, 2.2 Diesel - it's called the Maxx Sport which seems to be in the middle of the US models Touring and GT model. We have more options than the Touring but we don't have the moonroof, heated mirrors or 19" wheels of the GT. Also I don't have the Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry System, just the normal keyfob with push button start.

Reading the mazda manual it says there should be some beep, am I missing something. Is anyone from AUS able to confirm?

Sorry when I said no beep I meant the horn wasn't beeping.

Is there anyone from AUS who has the horn beep after 2x lock presses?

I seem to recall there's a setting (via the radio System Settings) to enable/disable the horn lock beep. Have you tried going there?

I seem to recall there's a setting (via the radio System Settings) to enable/disable the horn lock beep. Have you tried going there?

Tried that - I don't have that option in the radio settings - the manual says it's only for the advanced key-less entry and that setting only changes the volume of the beep on the key-fob and not the horn :(

Back