Newbie - Just ordered CX-5

:
Mazda CX-5, Sport on order
Just to say hello, I have been reading the forum whilst deciding if the CX-5 was the car for me. I have just confirmed my order for CX- 5, 2.2 175ps Diesel AWD auto here in England.

Bought through drivethedeal.com saved over 1,700 on list price, 1,200 better than local dealer would do.

Looking forward to end of Janaury deliver.

Hi, hopefully you found the Brits thread.

Same model as me, nice price too. Nice welcoming comment by vops there (not). Hopefully you have seen the posts about the diesel models. Happy to report mine is fine so far :) but if it does have any problems I have a decent dealer!

vops
i have followed the oil issues fully but have decided to risk it

pauly69
yes I have had a good read about the oil issue and was one of the main reasons I have waited before ordering. I have checked with a couple of local people, and aslo What Car, who are running the diesel and they have had no issues.

I ordered diesel, 2.2, full package, black colour. I was in love with CX-5. But, could not forget those serious problems.
Didnt want to risk. I was so sad when canceling...
I think not every single diesel will have those oil issues.

Sincerely wish you all the best with Cx5!

I ordered diesel, 2.2, full package, black colour. I was in love with CX-5. But, could not forget those serious problems.
Didnt want to risk. I was so sad when canceling...
I think not every single diesel will have those oil issues.

Sincerely wish you all the best with Cx5!

Get over yourself.... Why are you here if all you do is tell people not to order a cx5?

Narrowgauge

I to have ordered a CX5, Its due in January, its going to be a long 12 weeks!

Best of luck with the new CX-5, hope it arrives as planned, most have had excellent experiences.

Get over yourself.... Why are you here if all you do is tell people not to order a cx5?

Narrowgauge

I to have ordered a CX5, Its due in January, its going to be a long 12 weeks!

Because thats the point. Forums can help people to avoid buying problems for 30.000 - 40.000 euros.
10-15 years ago, all you could do is only to pray that the car will be okay. Today you can
inform yourself about things you want to buy. I speak german language, so I informed myself.

A lot of people from Austria and Germany had incredibly big problems with diesel engines.
I am just forwarding experiences from Europe.
I do not work for Mazda. Neither against Mazda.

I'm sorry for being honest.

I too ordered the diesel cx5, eta January.
It doesn't seem the guys in this forum from the UK who have it are noting such problems.

Because thats the point. Forums can help people to avoid buying problems for 30.000 - 40.000 euros.
10-15 years ago, all you could do is only to pray that the car will be okay. Today you can
inform yourself about things you want to buy. I speak german language, so I informed myself.

A lot of people from Austria and Germany had incredibly big problems with diesel engines.

You are OK vops. Truly. Some problems too with diesel also in France and in Spain. Many "don't have" the prob because they do not look the oil in a new car, what is the usual. Many others just realized the prob when looked the dipstick after reading the forums. Some other will know when the engine will quit...Certainly there are many many others without this issue. So we must force Mazda to resolve it for we who have the car and have trusted the label.

Thank you Morsa. You are totally right. People do not check the oil level and are not even aware of this problem!

It is interesting reading forums where cars are being criticised, but before the wide spread use of the internet we never really had the option to find out how bad cars were, except asking friends. Because I have had lease cars for the last 12 years or so I have not really done that much research into reliability as I did not have to worry, someone else paid. I have recently run a BMW X6 which had a major suspension issue and many minor faults during the 3.5 years I had it, plus 4 punctures all of which resulted in new tyres because it had run flats. It ws enough to put me off buying one for my retirement, howeve, I did not post this info anywhere.

The oil issue certainly put me off ordering, to the extent that I have ordered 4 weeks later than I really needed to get the car when I wanted it. My decision to go for the CX-5 in the end was that if there is a major problem then Mazda will have to sort.

Just to say hello, I have been reading the forum whilst deciding if the CX-5 was the car for me. I have just confirmed my order for CX- 5, 2.2 175ps Diesel AWD auto here in England.

Bought through drivethedeal.com saved over 1,700 on list price, 1,200 better than local dealer would do.

Looking forward to end of Janaury deliver.

Hi, hopefully you found the Brits thread.

Same model as me, nice price too. Nice welcoming comment by vops there (not). Hopefully you have seen the posts about the diesel models. Happy to report mine is fine so far :) but if it does have any problems I have a decent dealer!

Nice, Same model as me as well and colour as pauly69 good luck with it. Very happy with mine.

Just got my delivery date of 2nd jan. ordered end August, so a bit earlier than expected. Dealer said production had been stepped up and cars were arriving earlier than expected at the moment. Not long to go now and keeping busy choosing accessories.....
I am going for:
Mud flaps all round
Illuminated scuff plates
Rear bumper step plate
Welcome illumination
Boot liner and. Mats

Also need dog guard and hopefully cargo divider as I had in my freelander. I contacted travall and they are expecting to have both available soon - I hope so.....

Keep mentioning the problem.

Along with the badly vibrating mirror that was on the test car i drove only last week.

Hopefully Mazda will sort out these problems, the discounts will get bigger, and I'll be buying the 175 sport.

I picked my CX5 up in Norfolk (UK) yesterday with one big surprise, it had satnav which I hadn't ordered or paid for! Obviously I said nothing but just enjoyed it on the way home. They also had a deal for 79 full tank of diesel and mats, as I had ordered mats I got a full tank for about 47, it was 1.39 per gallon at the garage where they filled her up. I bought via drivethedeal.com, and because I collected they also gave me a refund of 137, a very good day for the wallet!

There was about 4 inches of snow the day before, they don't normally get mush in that part of the UK, so lots of back roads were covered in snow and packed ice. Had a good 30 mile drive on these back roads and enjoyed the great reassuring grip. Then drove 200 miles home computer recorded 40 mpg (UK) was show 8mpg when I collected it.

Really enjoyed the drive home.

Caveat Emptor vs Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumer Regulations 2002

I have been a member here for a while so am reasonably appraised of the ongoing issues worldwide. I am also an engineer and understand the need for maintenance - both condition based and scheduled. As long as you follow the laid down procedures that you are given when you take delivery of the vehicle then Mazda has a commitment to ensure that your goods (your lovely CX-5) are fit for purpose. Any defect pre-existent at time of sale is entirely their fault. In addition any goods not lasting 6 years (5 years in Scotland), when reasonably expected to do so (i.e. the engine) entitle you to repair, refund or replacement at the manufacturer's expense.

Having owned a Land Rover Discvoery 3 (try Googling "Land Discovery known issues"!!!), I suffered 1 failure in 6 years despite all of the horror stories. Without wanting to launch into a dissertation on failure modes, criticality analysis, methods of failure and Mean Times Between Failures, there is also an unknown element that the general public refer to as "luck".

If you over-research you will NEVER buy anything as no item is 100% failure free - it is a case of making an informed analysis against risk of failure (being without the car?) and consequential impact.

For me - I picked the car up last weekend so will enjoy it; follow the maintenance schedules; register for recalls; ensure I do not carry out any unofficial modifications; build a rapport with my service centre and, if it goes horribly wrong, exercise my rights as a consumer.

All the very best to you all, if anyone is in the Plymouth area it would be great to see another CX-5 on the road!

Last edited:
For me - I picked the car up last weekend so will enjoy it; follow the maintenance schedules; register for recalls; ensure I do not carry out any unofficial modifications; build a rapport with my service centre and, if it goes horribly wrong, exercise my rights as a consumer.

Congrats on your new car!

And WOW! I wish all consumers had your pragmatic sensibilities.

I meet people all the time who just about pee their pants because a warning light temporarily illuminated or the engine had an isolated stumble upon start-up. I suppose in time more people will understand that the new automotive technology with multiple sensors and the network and processors tying it all together will occasionally throw out an error code or two that is just a minor hiccup. In the decades before cars had digital sensors the only info returned was analog engine temperature and oil pressure. If one of my modern cars throws an error code - check engine light, etc. (and they all do from time to time) I generally don't worry about it as long as I know I have oil and coolant and everything sounds and works normally and the light goes out on it's own in the next drive cycle or two. Otherwise I let the dealer replace whatever is causing the error code. It's a far cry better than the low tech cars we used to drive that were not self aware at all.

Likewise, I would not be worried about the rising oil level if I wanted a diesel engine CX-5 - Mazda management is not suicidal and they would not continue to sell a product that was going to cause widespread engine failures down the road. I think people are over-blowing the rising oil issue which, from what I can gather, is due to the fact that the engine is extra oil tight. Older technology diesels burned the oil that was pressured past the oil control rings so the oil level did not rise even though the oil was becoming slowly diluted with diesel - all diesel engines allow a little diesel past the rings when the engine is cold-started because diesel is thinner than motor oil, compression ratios are high and cold pistons have not fully expanded to fit the bore.

I not had a warning light (other than low screen wash), on any Jap car I've owned.
That's over 22 years of owner ship.

in fact there's only one car i can recall a warning light on and that was the worst car Ive ever owned, and the last British car.
Mini Metro with the alternator light on, faulty diode pack.

So i think you need to avoid generalising.

Back