Double Din Time!

:
2012 Mazda 5
Postman just dropped this off... Factory double din face plate and audio fit kit from Japan. Now, just have to decide what HU to get. :)

IMG_1812.JPG

Update...

Ended up with the Sony XAV-701HD. No built in Navi but in Hawaii we don't really need it. Chose it mainly because of the Japanese font support and interface.

Parts used... (all Japan Mazda Parts)

Center Panel - C513-55-230C
Audio Fit Kit - CW01-V6-025A
Steering Wheel Adapter for Pioneer - 4100-78-101C

No rear camera yet. Don't like to look of the options available in the US. Probably pick up the factory one from Japan on my next visit or this one from Caroze.

The steering wheel control work except for the talk, pickup and hangup. But that was expected.

Here are some pics of the install... Enjoy :)

_1010128.jpg

_1010129.jpg

_1010130.jpg

_1010131.jpg

_1010132.jpg

_1010134.jpg

_1010138.jpg

Day 2 review... Overall I really like this unit. There is some quirkiness and I have 1 really annoying issue. It randomly mutes. I am using a factory steering wheel adapter CA-R-PI.136. All wires are capped and taped so I know there is no short issue. Unplugged the adapter to hopefully isolate the issue. If the random mutes stop I may try the Metra Axxess ASWC.

Pros...
Interface speed is extremely fast.
Japanese font support
simple handbrake bypass
lightning fast startup
Sound is awesome
Bluetooth sound quality is very good
Beautiful screen
excellent touch screen response

Cons...
No way to manually choose bluetooth connections. Only connects to the most recent.
No way to go back to the current source if you hit the HOME button. Have to select the current source again.
cannot set front and rear crossovers separately.
cannot disable unused icons
cannot use pickup and hangup steering buttons
cannot set daytime screen brightness.

Update...

After unplugging the the CA-R-PI.136, the randoms mutes have been stopped. I think that even though Pioneer can use the Sony rotary commander it does not work the other way around. Over the weekend, I switched to the Metra Axxess AWSC. Install was simple. The self-programming worked. I tried to manually program the bluetooth buttons but could not get those to work. I think the 3 buttons (speak, hook on, and hook off) dont have any connections to that harness but rather the bluetooth harness above the glove. Per PAC-Audio their's works with the bluetooth buttons if you tap the bluetooth harness and add a few resistors. Hopefully Metra will have something similar in the future.

Back