Front sway bar knock.

:
Mazda 2
I installed H&R lowering springs and a CS front sway bar on my M2. When I hit a bump at decent speed it hits against the chassis of the car and makes a small "knock" noise. There are a couple of things that I feel may be causing it.
1) We cut a small amount off the bumpstops. Maybe thats allowing the cars suspension to travel further and therefore hit the chassis...
2) My friend who helped with the install, put the washers on underneath the mount when they were supposed to go on top I believe. (I could have that backwards.)

Have any of you guys experienced this at all? Thoughts?
Oh by the way, it only makes contact on the left (drivers) side.

If you took off the struts, and when installed them back didn't put any load on the suspension to re-install the sway bar endlinks into the strut tab, and made sure they were tight tight, then you could have sway bar knock.

That's the only thing I can think of right now because something similar happened to me.

It's hard to understand what you mean. The first thing I installed was the front sway bar. Then I installed the springs. Then I just bolted up the end links. I had the car jacked up the whole time.

Load the suspension = either on the ground, or jacking up the control arm to compress/load that side of the suspension.. or both sides.

Loading the suspension allows the endlinks to seat and properly tighten, and have the sway bar in it's correct position at the time of install.

Last edited:
I wanted to update this thread. Corksport contacted me about the issue and asked me to send pictures. The next day I received a phone call from a technician saying to push the bar over. That fixed it lol. So it was dumb ole me. Fantastic, quick customer service from Corksport. They were even ready to take it back and send me a new one, but like I said, user error. Thank you Corksport for the great care you have with your customers and for supporting the Mazda 2 community.

Back