Advice for finding the right Miata for me

KMazda93

:
2004 Mazda 3 2.3l
Prologue- I am new to the forum and I believe I chose the right place to post this, but please, don't hesitate to tell me otherwise.

Hello! As the title suggests, I am looking for the right Miata. I am in the process of selling my 2004 Mazda3s HB and I want to stay within the Mazda family when I get my new car unless you know of another car that fits my criteria. I don't have kids and I plan on having this car for at least 6 years. After selling my car and combining some other funds, I will have roughly $13,000 to spend on my next car. Initially, I was interest in the NC Mx-5's because of its faster 0-60 than the NB and great handling (NOTE: That this is the only one that I have test driven). It also has side impact airbags which is a plus because I would feel more comfortable when my girlfriend drives it. However, I have heard from multiple sources that the NB Miatas (particularly the 1999-2000's) are more fun to drive despite being slower because of their lighter weight and short-throw gearbox (although I was thoroughly impressed with the short throws in the NC). The NA, although arguably even more fun than the NB, is just too dated for my tastes.

I plan to use this car as a DD but want to leave my options open when it comes to track days. Other cars I have looked at are the Infinity G35 (too much oversteer and very heavy), 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata (hard to find one in good condition in my area for the price), Mazda RX-8 (i'm too worried that a used RX-8 could have been mistreated due to it's unique maintenance and the general public's lack of consideration when it comes to properly maintaing these cars), and the Honda S2k (hard to find a good price).

Thank's in advance for any submissions!

-Ken

Good day KMazda93. You are certainly not alone with your praise of any Miata. I personally bought my 97' on Ebay about four years ago and it has been a blast putting into the shape I wanted. Yes, the older NA may have more "age issues" but all the same it gives you lots of bang for your buck. The second generation NB's do indeed have more power and improvements, but the purchase price will be higher. The added benefit will be a lower mileage vehicle along with an improved upon styling. The third gen. N3 is my dream car. Saving tokens to go that way in the future but happy to be driving my 97' for awhile longer.
When you really get serious about your purchase, make sure you contact some local Miata Clubs. They will be a great vault of knowledge regarding Miata's in general and may turn up a candidate for purchase too. I personally would stay away from any used car establishments, preferring to buy from a private party or Auto Trader type publication. Craigs List usually has some good listings as well. Just remember one thing, Miatas are a car to be driven and most of the used ones will have been used just that way and mileage may be higher than you imagined. With Miata's reliability is built in and the availability of after market parts and accessories abound. Good luck in you search and be sure to keep us informed as you go along.

Thank you for your replies! I have decided to hold out for a few more months and purchase a NC Miata because I feel it is most suited for my needs. Well, maybe after I put in a good set of sway bars, but I digress. And again, thanks!

-Ken

The NC's are fantastic cars. The moment I drove one, I contemplated getting rid of my MSM. Good luck with your search!

Back