brake fluid flush

joe944

porschefreak
Contributor
:
2002 mazda protege 5
How much does the car take? Replacing ate blue with ate blue again. Couldn't find in the manual. Thanks.

Just get a big bottle, you won't use all of it but the small bottles don't have enough in them

Hey guys I'm actually planning to do my brake fluid flush too. I just wanted to be reassured that our cars do take a Dot 4 fluid right?

DOT3 or DOT4. Get a 1L ATE bottle just to be sure. One 1L bottle is enough, I tend to use about half. You usually replace more than capacity anyway, since you might use up extra fluid trying to bleed any air bubbles.

Get a turkey baster and suck up existing brake fluid up to the "MIN" level. Then pour in the new fluid. This will make the process go a bit faster.

While you're at it, you can bleed your clutch, as it's fed from the same reservoir. The only difference w/ the clutch is that when you release it, the pedal doesn't come back up on its own--instead, you have to pick it up off the floor and then pump it back up to normal pressure.

dot 5 is silicone-based.
dot 3,4,and 5.1 are polyethylene glycol-based
Using DOT 5 in a DOT 3 or DOT 4 system without proper flushing will cause damage to the seals and cause brake failure. DOT 5 brake fluid is not compatible with anti-lock brake systems. DOT 5 brake fluid absorbs a small amount of air requiring care when bleeding the system of air.

but for what our cars do, dot 4 is more than enough.

Back