Picked up 17x7.5's with Toyo Winter Tire Set w/ 75% tread for $430

I was thinking of biting the bullet and getting a winter wheel set from TireRack which includes a TMPS sensors (which would have set me back about $1300) but then this morning, found a 17" Borbet set with Toyo Winter Tires with 75% tread (came off of a Miata); whole thing for $430! Rim is really nice and it should look as good if not better than the factory GT rims but it does not have the TPMS. Just one of the four rim has edge scuff which I can remove using some very fine sand paper and enamel. Just out of curiosity, what do you guys (those that has similar setup for winter) do to the TMPS light when it comes on? Did anyone tried successfully to disable the TPMS to get rid of the light?

Once I get the new wheels mounted, will takes some pictures and post them.

Last edited:
I just drove with the light on and checked the tire pressure myself, like back in the old days before TPMS.

Yup, or buy another set of TPMS- I actually have a working Mazda set that I need to get rid of.

I know very little about TPMS sensors for Mazda, I am trying to figure out a toggle switch to add to the surface mount LED for TPMS so when I put on the snow tires, want to just shut off the light until I put back on the all season. This way, I don't have to deal with getting the TPMS installed at the shop which cost more money. Rather save that fund to get a new set of LRR all seasons for next year. I would like to modify the gauges so that it has a bright red backlit display than the current washed out looking white.
Yup, or buy another set of TPMS- I actually have a working Mazda set that I need to get rid of.

On second thought, I will be picking up Dorman TPMS sensors, price is quite reasonable, way better price than OEM from Mazda which I think is way over priced for these sensors.

I think it was about $23 each on RockAuto.com. But I'm not going to get them just yet as my Toyo Winter probably has about 2 more winters left -- I will get them when I need new winter tires so I don't waste money mounting/remounting the tires.
How much are they?

Last edited:
BTW, my wife damaged the '11 CX9 Grand Touring w/ NAVI and Sunroof pretty bad this afternoon. Was thinking of shelling out few grand to get it repaired but decided to trade it in tomorrow with a 2012 Mazda Speed3 -- she will be driving my Mazda5, kids like this car better. Good for me though, always wanted to get a Speed3 and this couldn't have happened at a better time. I will be putting on the winter set I just got on the speed as it will be -1 sizing, and will be getting 16" for the Mazda5 -- probably Elbus with General Altimax.
Wow, that's not bad at all!

Well, it's official - traded in the CX9 and picked up a 2012 Mazda Speed3 in Pearl White with Tech Package. Wife's okay driving the Mazda5 and kids like the Mazda5 better than the CX9. So everyone's happy now :) Speed3 seems to have amazing highway fuel economy of over 32 MPG -- as long as you keep the turbo from spooling too much. However, one downside is that the Speed3 does not come with heated seats, road noise is relatively high, and the 10 speaker Bose system sounds pretty bad compared to my Mazda5 with upgraded speakers along with sub and amps. I guess I will be doing some "updating" the Speed3 when I get a chance.
BTW, my wife damaged the '11 CX9 Grand Touring w/ NAVI and Sunroof pretty bad this afternoon. Was thinking of shelling out few grand to get it repaired but decided to trade it in tomorrow with a 2012 Mazda Speed3 -- she will be driving my Mazda5, kids like this car better. Good for me though, always wanted to get a Speed3 and this couldn't have happened at a better time. I will be putting on the winter set I just got on the speed as it will be -1 sizing, and will be getting 16" for the Mazda5 -- probably Elbus with General Altimax.

You want to hear something funny? When I was in the showroom, I was looking at another Mazda5 GT; I was thinking "parking TWO Mazda5 in the driveway may not be such as bad thing, no?" LOL.

Anyway, will snap some pictures of the Speed3 in the near future, but this Bose stereo really does sound pretty bad compared to my Mazda5's stereo which uses Focal Access 5.25" components up front and Focal Access 6.5" in the rear driven by Alpine MRP-F300's underneath the passenger seat. I also have a 10" Kicker CVT and JL JX250/1 in the trunk. No comparison, Bose stinks!

Last edited:
I honestly think Bose is just phoning it in on most of their car systems- there's always a large notch in the frequency response and they're usually overly bright in the middle with nothing on the high end. Practically every buddy in high school thought my built systems sounded better than the spoiled kids' new cars with Bose systems- of course, that was 20 years ago...

BOSE - better off with something else, buy other stereo equipment etc. :D

I always tear out factory stereo equipment and replace everything from the battery posts to the speakers. Just how I roll. :)

Heres couple of photos of my new daily ride.
I honestly think Bose is just phoning it in on most of their car systems- there's always a large notch in the frequency response and they're usually overly bright in the middle with nothing on the high end. Practically every buddy in high school thought my built systems sounded better than the spoiled kids' new cars with Bose systems- of course, that was 20 years ago...

BOSE - better off with something else, buy other stereo equipment etc. :D

I always tear out factory stereo equipment and replace everything from the battery posts to the speakers. Just how I roll. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20121013_171737.jpg
    IMG_20121013_171737.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20121013_171621.jpg
    IMG_20121013_171621.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20121013_171608.jpg
    IMG_20121013_171608.jpg
    605.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20121012_125321.jpg
    IMG_20121012_125321.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 129
Coming from a long line of factory Bose equipped vehicles I must add:

No highs? No lows? Must be BOSE lol

I have heard some recent BOSE efforts have been better though, mainly in the C6 Vette and various Caddies.

Nice MS3 BTW. How's the torque steer? I see you went with the tech pkg. Worth the money so far?

Last edited:
Haven't decided on what protection I need to do first but most likely, need to add the nose protection with clear bra -- BumperDefender.com sells a pre-cut kit but somewhat expensive but will have to pony up the though if I want to keep the front end looking new. After that, probably the WeatherTech mats to replace the existing ones.

I should have traded in for these two cars from the get go but hind sight is 20/20 as the saying goes. Love the Mazda5 and Speed3, two of the best Mazdas that I recall. I did see the CX5 but not crazy about the interior. To be honest, CX9 was rather mundane and seats were rather uncomfortable; though it had all the bells and whistles but missing that Mazda character. On the other hand, Speed3 seats are really comfortable, and I got used to the center insert fabric design, they really put a lot of thought into it. I first did not like it, but now that I got used to it, it's really ingenious. Only thing I wished this car had like the European model is the heated seats. As per the ride, mine must be a 2012.5 model because when I drove it last it, the clutch take up was too light and too short -- and the shifter did not feel right. This one, however, feels like the VW Beetle gearbox, crip, and the clutch take up is similar. I like the way this car has been finally tuned right.
Very nice!

Last edited:
Thanks. I will most likely get bumper and front end protections first. Then a new Valentine 1 after that -- the one I had for about 5 years is staying in the Mazda5. Need to get another set of snow wheel sets for the wife's Mazda5 since it's not an AWD anymore. Then for the Spring of 2013, will be getting her a new set of Bridgestone Serentity LRR tire set for better fuel economy.

BTW, I didn't like the idea of factory Tom Tom navi on the MSP at first but it's really easy to use and so convenient that the controls are on the steering wheel. It just seem so logical that the GPS is mounted at an eye level.

Only thing missing but would have been good to have from the factory is the heated seats -- they left that one out for some reason but European models have that. In the U.S. -- only the non-MSP models have heated seats. I'm not sure why Mazda keep short changing consumers in the U.S.
Nice color choice on the new ride. First mod should be an accessport!

Last edited:
Back