Run out of ideas with my 03 PR5. Shes been broke down for weeks now!!!

JennaNoel

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I have a 03 PR5. On day it decided not to start on me. After getting it towed we figured it was the fuel pump, so we replaced it. (Th battery was repaced as well). It would start up then cut off. Over the past few weeks, the water pump, timing belt, egr valve, spark plugs and wires have been replaced. The car would start hard, idle really low but drive...kind of. From stop to go it would feel like it was about to cut off. It was very jerky and to be honest scary to drive. After taking it to a mechanic he said that it was my head gasket. So after replacing that, the problems sill exist except for now my car wont even stay running unless you keep your foot on the gas. After that it will cut off again. Does anyone have any ideas what we could be over looking? I hope I gave enough information, can provide anything else if it helps. Thanks.

could this have been my main problem to begin with? If so what exactly needs to be done to fix them? is there any way to actually test them first?

Weak mass air flow sensor?

I had a similar problem thinking it was my injectors and it ended up being a dirty mass air flow and a vacuum leak

Last edited:
dont know igf u are still having problem but take a look at ur cats... they could be clogged. Have the car running and look underneath at it and see if it starts to glow red if it does its clogged and needs replacing or if u have no emissions in ur state u can just gut them. check the one in front of the engine too

You should have had a check engine light on and had it read by now.

I would check your Crank Position sensor "CPS" sensor located off of your Crank Shaft gear when those go Bad the Car will shake violently!

That guy working on it sounds like he does not know anything about diagnosing faults.

there are ways to check a head gasket, there are ways to inspect timing.

Check the cam and crank position sensors. If he does not know how to hook up a $3 multi meter to them, get a new guy.

That guy working on it sounds like he does not know anything about diagnosing faults.

there are ways to check a head gasket, there are ways to inspect timing.

Check the cam and crank position sensors. If he does not know how to hook up a $3 multi meter to them, get a new guy.
The Crank position sensor is what i originally said to Brian when those go Bad from water or anything ever splashing them the whole motor will shake quite violently!

Dirty injectors,... seafoam,... quick, cheap and easy. This whole thing could have been one tank of bad gas.
What about coil packs ??

Last edited:
Mass air flow?
Crank Sensor?
Cam Sensor?
Clogged Fuel Filter?
Faulty PCM?
Manifold Vacuum leak?
Bad electrical wiring?
It could be a hundred things really...
You gotta have a check engine light on...right? Have it scanned.\

Get a multi-Meter and a $50 Scan-Tool/Code Reader...it will make a world of difference if your mechanic knew how to use them.

Last edited:
OP in OCT??!! FUCrying OUT LOUD! How did it get bumped up? Somebody is messing around....or bored.

I had a similar problem recently. I was starting with cleaning the mass air flow sensor. While trying to remove it, I found the real problem - there was a hole in the intake tube.

Back