Shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear

6 Speed Manaul. No issues. Only thing that's somewhat wierd is that I'm shifting gears (from 5th to 6th and vice versa) pretty often on the highway but that's due to the lack of power...not the transmission.

it seems to me that given the high number of concerns with the 1 to 2 shift that this is probably a normal occurrence. I too feel that the shift into second gear is rougher sometimes than any other gear. but i think this is probably due to the design of the transmission (second gear's gear ratio, type of synchros used for this gear, number of synchros used for this gear, etc). I think most people's fears would be diminished if mazda would release a tsb saying that this is normal. but that aint happening! Unless the issue is egregiously bad, it is probably normal in this case

I have noticed it, but I dont worry about it. I tend to change from 1st to 2nd by moving the stick towards 2nd, giving gentle pressure to persuade it to go in, but no forcing it, and usually it slips in sometimes with a small delay, but thats how I drive. If I just pull hard out of 1st to 2nd, then about 30% of the time, you feel the slight crunch of the syncro matching. The only other niggle I have is sometimes it can jump out of reverse, its a little lacking in feeling when you put it into reverse, I get a urge to double check the stick is right in, and sometimes when I think it didnt feel quite right but dont check, it jumps out as I back up, no big deal though. The stick has such a short throw, ittakes a little getting used to, but is a dream once you are used to it.

Hey guys. I noticed that under WOT shifting from 1st to 2nd above 5500rpm it would ALWAYS grind even with the clutch fully pressed firmly to the floor. I have just over 54K kms (34K miles) on my CX5 GX Manual. I took it into the dealer. After looking at it they told me they'll order some parts and give me a call. Fast forward ahead they dismantled the ENTIRE transmission and replaced the almost all the gears/syncros related to gears 1 to 4. They had the car for 2 days and when I got it back it shifts AWESOME now. Glad the 100K powertrain warranty applies! (Book time was 6hrs...took them 15.8hrs!) I guess that's the risk of buying a 1st year vehicle but I'm very glad Mazda stepped up to the plate. After talking to the dealer he said it's a known problem with TSB (05-16-02) and eventually it'll grind no matter what rpm you try to shift it at. Just thought I'd share my experience with you guys! Long live the manual CX5s! :)

Hey guys. I noticed that under WOT shifting from 1st to 2nd above 5500rpm it would ALWAYS grind even with the clutch fully pressed firmly to the floor. I have just over 54K kms (34K miles) on my CX5 GX Manual. I took it into the dealer. After looking at it they told me they'll order some parts and give me a call. Fast forward ahead they dismantled the ENTIRE transmission and replaced the almost all the gears/syncros related to gears 1 to 4. They had the car for 2 days and when I got it back it shifts AWESOME now. Glad the 100K powertrain warranty applies! (Book time was 6hrs...took them 15.8hrs!) I guess that's the risk of buying a 1st year vehicle but I'm very glad Mazda stepped up to the plate. After talking to the dealer he said it's a known problem with TSB (05-16-02) and eventually it'll grind no matter what rpm you try to shift it at. Just thought I'd share my experience with you guys! Long live the manual CX5s! :)

thanks for sharing!
I wonder why it took them over 2X book time to fix it?
Sounds like you still have 46K kms under power-train warranty to make sure they really put it back together correctly.

Well you can maybe find some anti friction additive for the gearbox..I use to get the same problem in my Jeep Wrangler and it helped out alot when going from first to second.

Well you can maybe find some anti friction additive for the gearbox..I use to get the same problem in my Jeep Wrangler and it helped out alot when going from first to second.

I think I'll certainly look into a good synthetic gear oil after. Talking with the dealer the first batch of manual transmissions some were known to have manufacturing defects. That being said I don't know if friction additive would have helped or prevented it. I'm just happy that they fixed the problem and hopefully the problem is solved.

Same issu with my CX-5...been at the dealer and they say it is OK...we also tried 2 diferent new-test CX 5... with the same noise when shifting...
looks like Mazda have more loud manual transsmision...

I think I'll certainly look into a good synthetic gear oil after. Talking with the dealer the first batch of manual transmissions some were known to have manufacturing defects. That being said I don't know if friction additive would have helped or prevented it. I'm just happy that they fixed the problem and hopefully the problem is solved.

UPDATE: I've now put just under 20K kms (12,400miles) on the updated transmission and the grinding going into 2nd has resurfaced in certain driving conditions. It seems the syncros aren't matching the rpms. It's going in this Fri but because the condition happens randomly under hard acceleration above 4500rpm it's almost impossible to duplicate for the techs. Hopefully some dashcam videos will help duplicate the situation. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: I've now put just under 20K kms (12,400miles) on the updated transmission and the grinding going into 2nd has resurfaced in certain driving conditions. It seems the syncros aren't matching the rpms. It's going in this Fri but because the condition happens randomly under hard acceleration above 4500rpm it's almost impossible to duplicate for the techs. Hopefully some dashcam videos will help duplicate the situation. I'll keep you posted.

Put up the dashcam videos if you have them.

I would post them but it's really hard to hear. I'm trying to get new footage where music isn't playing in the background. I'm discussing with my service advisor tomorrow since it's going in for an oil change anyways. I'll let you know what they find (if anything).

Back