Shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear

reticulum

:
Mazda CX5 manual
Hey was just curious if anyone else had this issue or knows what the issue could be.

When shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear when RPM are more than 1800

....while im shifting, even though my clutch pedal is all the way down, as im putting it into 2nd i get a gear-grinding sound; and it sound/feels like a terrible shift, not smooth at all (remember clutch pedal all the way down before i even take out of 1st gear....when reving over 1800)

I have been driving manual for 20 years now, just wondering

I've also had a long history of driving manual cars. Learned on an old Mazda B2200 pickup. I find the CX-5 transmission to be the most forgiving. So much that I've changed my technique from 3 step (clutch in, shift, clutch out), to 2 step (clutch in+shift, clutch out). Never had a problem with grinding.

It shouldn't be grinding just because the clutch pedal is not all the way down before you touch the shifter. At most, the only thing you should hear is a solid click when the synchro locks in. You may want to get that checked.

Last edited:
I get the same rough-shift noise on the 1-2 shift. I'm at around 4500 miles, and the noise hasn't gone away

Last edited:
This is very frustrating since I have to wait that the car rev down under 1500 rpm and losing speed, before shifting in 2nd gear.
If it still doing it at 4 500 miles, it tells me that it will not go away. I do not know how long the transmission will last if it always does that...

Sounds like its the synchro, I would get that checked out.

If you rev-match it in gear, does it still grind? Or does it get better when you drive for a long time?

When you drive for a long time it does not make the grind disappear when you go from 1st to 2nd at more than 1500 rpm. When I shift down from 3rd to 2nd gear it does not do it since you are always under 1500 rpm when going down.
I will ask them to check for my first service but I already know what they are going to say..." nothing Wrong" until it's out of warranty...
This is why I'm asking here if other drivers have experienced this problem. Maybe they all suffer from the same problem...

Hey was just curious if anyone else had this issue or knows what the issue could be.

When shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear when RPM are more than 1800

....while im shifting, even though my clutch pedal is all the way down, as im putting it into 2nd i get a gear-grinding sound; and it sound/feels like a terrible shift, not smooth at all (remember clutch pedal all the way down before i even take out of 1st gear....when reving over 1800)

I have been driving manual for 20 years now, just wondering

I have noticed rough shifts from 1st to 2nd occasionally. I did not pay attention in regards to RPMs when it happened.

I'll give it a try and test it out at over 1800 RPM. Will post my findings.

So, I've been paying special attention @ RPM range when I shift form 1 to 2nd gear. It is not RPM related in my case. I've noticed the rough shift only once since I read OP's post.

Frankly, I don't think it is RPM related at least in my case. Actually, I don't know how to explain it so far.

I truly hope that this will not become a bigger issue in a long run. I'll not report it yet to the dealer as they will not be able to reproduce it easily.

If anyone finds something new in this regards, please share your findings.

Ok, I have done more testing for the shifting between 1 to 2nd gear. It is not related to RPM. It is related on how fast I shift from 1 to 2nd gear. Like I say, I have been driving manual cars for more than 20 years and this is the first car that will not let me shift gear like I usually do. I have to clearly slow down my hand otherwise I will have the grinding sound. I have to shfit gear like a turtle now.

Dont discount a problem with the syncro. That's what helps the gears match speeds.

I think I speak for most (all?) that we can shift as quick as we want from 1st to second with no problem except for the OP.

Ok, I have done more testing for the shifting between 1 to 2nd gear. It is not related to RPM. It is related on how fast I shift from 1 to 2nd gear. Like I say, I have been driving manual cars for more than 20 years and this is the first car that will not let me shift gear like I usually do. I have to clearly slow down my hand otherwise I will have the grinding sound. I have to shfit gear like a turtle now.

I've been paying more attention to my shifts, and I am experiencing the same behavior. If I shift quickly from 1st to 2nd, I'll get the crunching noise. It's happend a couple of times from 2nd to 3rd, too. I'm going to bring mine in to the dealership to have it looked at.

I've been paying more attention to my shifts, and I am experiencing the same behavior. If I shift quickly from 1st to 2nd, I'll get the crunching noise. It's happend a couple of times from 2nd to 3rd, too. I'm going to bring mine in to the dealership to have it looked at.

Same issue here. I'm going easy with it right now, but I'll take it in at my first oil change (I'm at 2600 miles right now). I've had some annoying shifting issues since day one. I was able to test drive a different manual before I bought mine, and it seemed to be much smoother in operation. I did notice the issue before buying, but figured it would get better or it could be fixed under warranty.

If I shift quickly from 1st to 2nd, I'll get the crunching noise.

That really sounds like a bad syncro. I cannot shift quickly into second or else it'll grind, but I don't mind to much because its an older car and I just take my time and it doesn't grind. Inexcusable for a brand new car to do that though.

Mazda has a long and fabled history of improper clutch adjustment from the factory on "NC" (current generation) MX-5 Miatas. CX-5s are built in the same Hiroshima factory, although no doubt on a differnt assembly line. Check to see that you have about .5" free play at the top of the pedal and that the clutch starts to engage about a third of the way up from its stop on the floor. If its engaging too close to the floor, the disk/pressure plate could be dragging slightly when you go to shift and this would be more noticable in lower gears.

It is a function of synchromeshing. Synchros are made out of brass. As the selector moves gear towards the layshaft gear corresponding with the number you are trying to engage, friction between the synchro and the next gear makes to 2 gears spin at the same [or close] rate,..then as the stick is finishing it move dogs, or spurs engaged making the shift complete. If the synchros are worn, the 2 gears will not be speed-matched giving a crunch.

Some people have had some success in minimising crunches by using a different oil in the box,..cant really comment as I haven't had much problem,..but if you try and rush the change, the synchros may not have speed-matched the 2 gears. To achieve the best life for the box,.I give it time to match speeds.

Ok, during the first service I talked to the dealer about the synchro problem and they checked. Of course they told me that they did not find anything wrong. I was expecting them to say that, then I told them there is no way they could not feel it ect... They told me that, some one, on Monday will call me. Of course they did not call me.
What should I do next to have them recognize the problem and fix it?

Back