Corksport lowering springs interest thread

You can count me in for this. Ideally I would like to see a 2 inch drop in the front and a little under 3 in the back. But I'm willing to buy anything that's gives more of a drop than the H&R's.

Any recent word on whether or not CS is still pursuing this?

The CX-5 is built for the road/streets and not a true off-roader (it doesn't have low range, skid plate, etc).

As a long-time experienced off-roader, I can say, of course, this is true. Obviously. No one would mistake a CX-5 for a rock crawler.

That said, it's far more off-road capable because of it's excellent ground clearance. And I've been on plenty of forest service roads and private roads that less capable vehicles wouldn't have a chance. If you have enough ground clearance and good off-road driving skills you don't need skid plates to negotiate difficult sections that are within the vehicles capabilities. Skid plates are dead weight and I can't count the number of off-roaders I've seen that were stuck (high centered) on their skid plates. And in muddy conditions I prefer NOT to have skid plates. They create suction with the mud surface which can leave you stuck. Much better to just drag a couple of furrows in the top of the mud than be stuck with stiction to your skid plates. And in deep snow skid plates hold your wheels off the road and reduce traction. In deep snow you need all your weight on your wheels for traction, not sledding around on your skid plates.

Last week my wife and I took my CX-5 to a secluded beach on Lake Harrison in British Columbia. It was a beautiful warm, sunny day and no one was there. The road was VERY steep the last 1/2 mile to the beach and rocky/rugged. I was very appreciative of the extra ground clearance, I didn't ground out once (although I was within an inch or less in a couple of rutted spots). That's what the CX-5 is designed for, to get you off on the path less traveled. And at this it excels. Best thing, my fuel bill was minimal. The CX-5 has a wide track and excellent independent suspension which inspires confidence when on the side hill. It's firm but not too firm.

I think I am going with coilovers instead of static suspension, so I can drop it for a one day car show and not have to re-align everything (camber, toe, etc) - then raise it back up until the next one. Need to find out if anyone has them with a 3-4" drop so i can tuck the tires.

I have FWD (will never see offroad) CX-5 and it handles better than my 2010 Civic so why not create a little fun and explore a dual personality like that found in the Urban Concept version that was lowered with 22s. Wife always has me on a budget so just dreaming for now. :D

Dropping any vehicle 3-4" is gonna effect camber. The idea of coilovers is that they're adjustable and can be dialed in exactly how you want it. Changing the ride height, especially that dramatically will indeed effect the geometry of the suspension. You need an alignment with just the H&R springs i have on my 5. And i think they only drop about 1.5"

Back