Corksport lowering springs interest thread

I don't get it. I chose the CX-5 in part for it's generous suspension travel and ground clearance. Any automotive engineer can tell you Mazda could have saved money by giving us less ground clearance and less suspension travel to begin with. But then the ride suffers and the car loses it's advantage when it comes to crossing flooded steets or washes. Also it's abilty to get through washouts, mudslides and abrupt driveways. I have to assume you all live where snow doesn't happen and heavy rain is an unknown concept. I can't count the number of times I've had to shovel the deeper parts of a snowdrift just to get where I was going (not to mention a long driveway). Loosing even 1 1/2" of ground clearance would dramatically lengthen the amount of roadway I would need to shovel just to get where I was going. I guess there are never any floods or creeks that spill over onto the roadway in some parts of the world? I once wasted an entire day because my friends Saab sucked water and totalled the engine in a measly 5" of flood water. Granted, even a lowered CX-5 could have got through under those circumstances but who knows how deep the flood water is? It's generally hard to tell where the deepest part is.

If there was a medical emergency in these conditions I would want to get through even more. Yes, I have a F-150 4x4 that could go even deeper than the CX-5 but who knows which vehicle I'll be in when I need it? The F-150 only gets 18 mpg. I guess I don't get why someone would pay extra for generous ground clearance and excellent suspension travel and then pay more yet to get rid of these advantages. If it comes down to cornering performance then why did you buy a crossover SUV? And if it comes down to looks, why didn't you get a car that was lower to begin with? It's your car and your money so do what you want, I just have to wonder why anyone would want to.

This has never been the case for me. I've been driving lowered cars, in the winter mind you, for years and its never much of a problem. Where i drive the roads and lots are paved. Besides, to me, lowering the cx-5 would still leave plenty of ground clearance for every day travels even in in-climate weather. But where you are sounds like it may not be such a good idea. A lowered vehicle certainly has its limitations.

I was figuring "i think we can all agree this platform needs a drop" meant all that want it lowered can agree that it needs a drop. Otherwise I'd say it is a small percentage that want it dropped.

The ground clearance was a huge factor in my choosing the CX5.

There are plenty of lower riding options available but what peaked my interest was getting the ride height and good mpg and good handling.

To each their own but to me it is a bit like buying a Miata and then going "this thing needs a lift kit"

You figured right. As i was addressing only those interested in lowering they're cx-5. While you have a point that lowering an suv may be as silly as raising a miata, I feel there's room for improvement. In handling as well as the aesthetic of the cars stance, while leaving plenty of suspension travel and ground clearance with little penalty in the way of ride harshness.

I wanted a wagon, but all my options were either over priced or ugly (Subaru Forester & VW Jetta wagon), and the wife said the Skyactiv Mazda3 was too small for future baby hauling. I actually didn't want an SUV, but this was the least suv-like vehicle that my wife and family approved of me buying. I want a lower ride height for easier kayak loading on the roof rack, better hwy fuel economy, and style... in that order of descending importance.

Plus I live in Florida, if the water is deep enough for 2" drop to make a difference I shouldn't be driving through it!

That is another good point about a lowered car.

Its definitely not for every one. I started this thread to gauge interest of those who wish to alter the factory setup.

Last edited:
I just checked the corksport website and i noticed the lowering springs don't say for awd only so i assume the springs are available for purchase now?

I would assume corksport would post in this thread if they decide to pursue this. But i have not received any official word from their camp.

Well, we haven't met their minimum demand yet and I heard that corksport was waiting on the new year to review plans for future projects, so I don't expect to hear much from them in the remainder of 2012.

right. at this point i would be happy if they would just stock the h&r's. but i'm still wishing for springs designed for the sport fwd manual.

Corksport lowering springs interest - Count me out

12. orally13. Akira

I'm sorry but remove me from the group buy interest list. I purchased H&R springs last week from Corksport I do not have much patience.

yeah but if they don't bother to update us I for one will jump ship and get H&R springs instead.
Corksport, I'm giving you one more month :-/

Mine are coming in this week, had to wait on backorder from the Manu. Also my CS exhaust is coming in too :)

Please count me in as well! I'm ordering wheels & tires this week. Lowering it will be the next project

Count me in! The CX5 desperately needs a lowered look! The wheel gap even with 19" is huge! (wow)

The 17" tires and 19" tires are the same diameter so the gap is the same whether you have 17's or 19's.

The wheel gap is due to the longer suspension travel vehicles like this have. Longer suspension travel can absorb higher forces and taller obstacles at higher speeds without bottoming the suspension. Lower the vehicle, reduce it's performance, increase the forces on the chassis, wheels and suspension components. As long as you drive like a grandma it will be OK.

The 17" tires and 19" tires are the same diameter so the gap is the same whether you have 17's or 19's.

The wheel gap is due to the longer suspension travel vehicles like this have. Longer suspension travel can absorb higher forces and taller obstacles at higher speeds without bottoming the suspension. Lower the vehicle, reduce it's performance, increase the forces on the chassis, wheels and suspension components. As long as you drive like a grandma it will be OK.

While i appreciate your input, I don't think anybody signed up here is concerned with going over taller obstacles at higher speeds. With its design it is more "off-road" capable than say, a Mazda 3. I personally never intend to test these properties. As long as i can get around public streets, it good for me. In my world, even a lowered CUV would provide a mountain of ground clearance compared to my other cars.

And yes, all the engineering and suspension geometry designed into the chassis basically get tossed when lowering. The ride will be more firm along with increased negative camber.

So here's the point i want to make. Maybe lowering springs is not in the best interest for Corksport as far a new product goes. Maybe an adjustable camber arm for the CX-5 is what we need more. I understand this is a serious undertaking though. With safety being paramount as failure in this part would/could be very dangerous.

If Corksport were to make springs with a drop of 1" front/1.25" rear, I may be interested. . .H&R and Eibach already produce springs that drop the CX-5 1.25"-2" and truth be told, it'd be nice to have an option for those who prefer a lesser drop.

It probably won't happen since most people want more drop than less. :p

If Corksport were to make springs with a drop of 1" front/1.25" rear, I may be interested. . .H&R and Eibach already produce springs that drop the CX-5 1.25"-2" and truth be told, it'd be nice to have an option for those who prefer a lesser drop.

It probably won't happen since most people want more drop than less. :p
You may be able to get one of those from an overseas source.

While i appreciate your input, I don't think anybody signed up here is concerned with going over taller obstacles at higher speeds. With its design it is more "off-road" capable than say, a Mazda 3. I personally never intend to test these properties. As long as i can get around public streets, it good for me. In my world, even a lowered CUV would provide a mountain of ground clearance compared to my other cars.

And yes, all the engineering and suspension geometry designed into the chassis basically get tossed when lowering. The ride will be more firm along with increased negative camber.

So here's the point i want to make. Maybe lowering springs is not in the best interest for Corksport as far a new product goes. Maybe an adjustable camber arm for the CX-5 is what we need more. I understand this is a serious undertaking though. With safety being paramount as failure in this part would/could be very dangerous.

+10000 Your dead-on! The CX-5 is built for the road/streets and not a true off-roader (it doesn't have low range, skid plate, etc).
And in addition, the CX-5 is not a sports car - not even close. Its a good handling CUV with all-wheel drive.

Back