MAZDA Sales Down 5.5% (no 2 under 2014 Line Up)

EconoBox

:
2012 Mazda Mazda2 Touring MT
Spoke with the internet sales manager at Mazda whilst getting my oil change. He showed me this big binder for stuff coming down the pipeline (for dealers only). Showed the 2013/2014 line up. Mazda 2 was shown in the 2013 line up, but not the 2014 line up. No CX-7 either for 2014. Rest of the line up was there for 2014, including "All New Mazda 3".

The 2 is dead on our shores it seems. This could change, obviously, but it doesn't look good.

A 2 with the Kodo face would be so bad ass. : (

IIRC the autoblog article I read mentioned the new 3 will be a couple hundred lbs lighter then the outgoing model. I certainly plan on keeping my 2 for quite awhile, but if I were shopping, this new 3 is sounding good already.

You got the oil changed in your Fit already? At a Mazda dealer even?

IIRC the autoblog article I read mentioned the new 3 will be a couple hundred lbs lighter then the outgoing model. I certainly plan on keeping my 2 for quite awhile, but if I were shopping, this new 3 is sounding good already.

2014-mazda-3-rendering-and-information-news-car-and-driver-photo-475717-s-429x262.jpg

Maybe had they brought it over with more options to make it more appealing this wouldn't be an issue. Look at the Fiesta. Its a chrome ugly dog but it has sedan or hatch options AND loads of little options and its selling fine. They are even planning on bringing the Fiest ST into the line up. If the 2 failed it's because Mazda USA wanted it to, period.

Maybe had they brought it over with more options to make it more appealing this wouldn't be an issue. Look at the Fiesta. Its a chrome ugly dog but it has sedan or hatch options AND loads of little options and its selling fine. They are even planning on bringing the Fiest ST into the line up. If the 2 failed it's because Mazda USA wanted it to, period.

Agreed. No advertising went into this car AT ALL. Nothing. Zilch.

I could not agree more with this. And while it would be sad to see it go, I am A-OK with being one of the lucky few that owns one. Assuming it really does end up having a 3 year production run stateside that should DEFINITELY help the long term resale/collectability.

I don't know why people care about things like bluetooth and Sync so much. Unnecessary crap in my opinion. That type of extra stuff only helps the Fiesta be overweight compared to the 2.

Also I think the Fiesta was such a success largely because it's made by Ford. USDM fanboys will take a Ford over a Mazda any day. Mazda just isn't that popular of a manufacturer in the US.

I don't know why people care about things like bluetooth and Sync so much. Unnecessary crap in my opinion. That type of extra stuff only helps the Fiesta be overweight compared to the 2.

Also I think the Fiesta was such a success largely because it's made by Ford. USDM fanboys will take a Ford over a Mazda any day. Mazda just isn't that popular of a manufacturer in the US.

I don't care for a lot of today's tech... interior mood lighting, voice command systems, touch screen controls, Sirius radio, etc, etc...

But Bluetooth is something I would want my car to have. It's actually very helpful. I don't like to talk on the phone while I am driving, but sometimes it's just necessary. I would dig an in-dash nav system, but am also perfectly fine with my Garmin.

I don't care for a lot of today's tech... interior mood lighting, voice command systems, touch screen controls, Sirius radio, etc, etc...

But Bluetooth is something I would want my car to have. It's actually very helpful. I don't like to talk on the phone while I am driving, but sometimes it's just necessary. I would dig an in-dash nav system, but am also perfectly fine with my Garmin.

I probably just don't care about Bluetooth because nobody ever calls me anyways.

#foreveralone

I haven't seen a single ad of any kind for the 2. Not a single anything. That says it all. I don't know what they're thinking. This is a great car, and there are many angles they could leverage to market it. I'm surprised no one even knows what the hell it is most of the time. Sure, it doesn't have any of the tech packages, but honestly I don't really care about that stuff very much. As others have mentioned, bluetooth would have been great, but I can live without it. I drove and liked the Fiesta a lot, but it just felt too heavy and I couldn't live with the transformers cell-phone style dash situation for the long term. Ford supports the car though. They advertise for it, and get it placed in shows, etc. All that stuff ads up. It's pretty basic strategy. I just hope they figure it out for the US market and keep supporting the 2!

I agree, Mazda has done absolutely nothing to advertise for the 2. It's sad, because there's so much one can say about the 2. Fun to drive, handles great, gets fantastic fuel economy, is small but has loads of space, practical but not boring, well designed and nicely proportioned. This car should practically sell itself, but I don't think most people probably even know it exists. The shittastic Yaris gets a thousand times more attention than the 2 and it's abysmal.

i know that the cx-7 was being replaced with the cx-5 in the U.S. for the 2013 model because of sluggish sales , and have heard about the possible cut of the 2 , i hope it doesnt get cut, such a fun car , most people when you tell them its a mazda are unaware that mazda even had a small econo car in their lineup.

but around here in San Antonio,TX the last 2 month's or so have noticed alot more mazda 2's driving around, if they keep the mazda 2 a little longer i think it will start to do well as people start seeing them more and more.

I could really care less if they continue the 2 or not. I have mine already. But the thing that worries me is that with only 3 years of the car and no other vehicles share the mechanical parts, I wonder if the techs will really be experienced enough with them if something were to go wrong in the future. It also makes junk yard diving almost non existent for these cars, with the exception of the few Fiesta parts that interchange. In the end though it's really gonna help to have aftermarket support (IE: CS and Font etc) that can assist with getting new parts and JDM/EDM components.

maybe if they didn't make all their cars look like retarded pokemon from the front they wouldn't be down in sales!

just sayin... i loved the old 3 and the old 6. the big smiley face grill and ugly ass headlights don't do it for me. i would never buy a new mazda.

If the 2 is definitely not in the 2014 lineup, then I've got some serious debating to do.

Was planning on trading in the wife's 2006 3 sedan at some point next year. Was leaning heavily towards getting another 2, as the current-gen 3's, while nice, have some drawbacks the 2 doesn't (hydraulic power steering vs all-electric, failure-prone motor mounts, too-firm seats). But if Mazda's doing an early refresh on the 3, that changes things.

So, now I need to decide if we want to get an order in for one of the last 2's next spring, or hold out a bit longer and see what the new 3's look like.

Funny, I went for the 2 over the Fiesta because the Fiesta was not available as a hatchback at the entry level and the entry-level hatchback had so few options- even color choices (if you can call black, white and grays colors) are extremely limited. And I prefer the 2's interior and exterior styling to the Fiesta's. I don't watch much television- But I agree I haven't seen any commercials for the 2 lately. But then again- How many commercials for Mazda are there anyway, compared to the bigger brands?

In any case, it'd be a shame if the Mazda2 was dropped, but who knows what will happen from now to 2014? In either case, I will still be happy with my purchase. It doesn't really affect how I feel about my 2, but it would a shame for potential Mazda2 owners and Mazda's line-up.

Back