2004 MSM? Considering a trade

This same MSM has been popping up on the cars.com app on my Facebook page for nearly a month and a half, maybe more.

No, I'm not actually hunting for a MSM. Just seemed like a viable possibility to get rid of the 99's list of problems and get a better version. I'm not going out hunting to find anything better, just casually checking to see what is local, that's all. A trade up to an NC in that price range is a possibility as well, but again, no real motivation other than getting tired of the 99s issues. The only two cars that are on my real radar are the new 6 and an FD, each for different reasons obviously, and I wouldn't start looking for one of those until spring.

Chris,

The MSM with the FM Little Enchilada should be clearly faster than a 99 with ~20-30% more power than stock, right? (that's a very optimistic guess of mine of course, and probably too high) Not just more of a torque shove, but very clearly faster.

It really didn't seem like it for this one, and that is probably the part that is bothering me the most.

Oh most definitely. Mahk has the equivalent to a little enchilada and he could tell you more, but you should definitely feel more in the butt-dyno.

Yeah, I'm passing on this one. I don't think I'd buy it for even salvage prices.

For $3k more there is a black MSM that looks in significantly better condition a bit farther out. But then I got to poking around on FM's dyno page and found this dyno: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_runs/NC_vs_MSM.pdf

Is the NC actually about the same as the MSM (stock to stock)? Looks like just a matter of "where would you like your torque sir?" 200cc vs turbo. Before you get into gearing anyway. Just targeting an NC is tempting me as well. Not as exclusive/rare, but similar price for 2006s. I even have my stock RX-8 sway bars as an immediate upgrade...

Yeah, I'm passing on this one. I don't think I'd buy it for even salvage prices.

For $3k more there is a black MSM that looks in significantly better condition a bit farther out. But then I got to poking around on FM's dyno page and found this dyno: http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/dyno_runs/NC_vs_MSM.pdf

Is the NC actually about the same as the MSM (stock to stock)? Looks like just a matter of "where would you like your torque sir?" 200cc vs turbo. Before you get into gearing anyway. Just targeting an NC is tempting me as well. Not as exclusive/rare, but similar price for 2006s. I even have my stock RX-8 sway bars as an immediate upgrade...

ya, i think the difference stock to stock is really about torque....the msm, in mho, is a more "raw" vehicle...the nc's are more refined...it's really a personal decision..
the msm, with exhaust and intake makes the car come alive....and should be much quicker than the 99

Thanks.

I'm getting a pretty big hankering for that black MSM... Enough that I'm actually starting to see a car I'd give up my 8 for (sshhh, don't tell anyone). Not that I have to, which is the best of both worlds :)

It's got the light weight, sharp handling, small size, power, cheap mods, cheap maintenance, good looks, and rarity/exclusivity. Pretty much everything I'd ask for from a car. It's not a rotary, but that's really the only draw back.

Regarding rarity, it appears that the one I'm eyeballing now was the first black MSM ever produced. A slight chance that #2 in the 2005 production was a black mica, but unlikely. #1 was grey. Black was only also available in Australia, but there were only 13 black mica sent there, and since this one was produced on the first day of production for the 2005, I'm confident that the 13 Aussie ones were made later.

Last edited:
Bleh, nevermind. Curiosity finally got the best of me and I called Mazda. #2 was black mica with leather, #3 is black mica with cloth :/

So still #2. So much for slim chance.

Just a note... That black MSM doesn't seem to have the original seats in it. It looks a lot cleaner and the upgraded FMIC is nice to have period.

Not original seats is good.

Found another MSM an hour away. Also black and same price, but 18,000 fewer miles, hard dog bar, FM intake, exhaust, and boost gauge. Probably little enchilada. But also 15 inch wheels with winter tires, 2 aftermarket buttons behind the shifter, and two points of odd wiring visible. Also been passed around between dealers since February.

Not original seats is good.

Found another MSM an hour away. Also black and same price, but 18,000 fewer miles, hard dog bar, FM intake, exhaust, and boost gauge. Probably little enchilada. But also 15 inch wheels with winter tires, 2 aftermarket buttons behind the shifter, and two points of odd wiring visible. Also been passed around between dealers since February.

Two buttons huh?

468523-2_super.png

Well, test drove #36 on the 2005 MSM production list. Black Mica, 37,000 miles, very very clean. Has a load of mods as well, all critical ones are FM that I can tell (full intake, full exhaust, boost gauge, still the OEM intercooler though). Plus what looks like progress sway bars and hard dog sport bar. For the interior, it has an added cruise control (very welcome), all the wiring in place for my Passport radar detector, rear back up sensors (wtf?), aftermarket heated seat elements, XM radio installation, and two odd switches that we can't figure out what they are. Will have to do some digging to determine. The dealer thinks it was an aftermarket alarm, but no way you would have the "off" switch to an alarm system right there for a thief to find. I think one is probably an antenna power switch, but didn't get a chance to test once I recalled that common mod.

Every single mod appears to be professionally installed. Very clean, no rust anywhere, even under the car. The dealer has no idea what is stock and what isn't unless I told them otherwise. Has 15" wheels with Blizzaks on, which had some negociation with the dealer about. Once warmed up, boost is very solid. Holds ~9psi (ish, gauge only has a mark every 2psi, probably the stock 8.5) from ~3,800rpm to red line. Idle is solid hot and cold.

I made an offer and am getting it for $13,400.

They test drove the 99 for a value, and during the test drive the radiator decided to fail and start hosing the engine bay with coolant. They are giving me $400 over KBB's Excellent value if I bring it back with the radiator fixed. Still $500 under what I owe, so some negative equity rolled in but to stop the endless freight train of problems with my 99, I'm ok with that. The dealer is letting me swap the winter steelies onto the 99 for the trade in, so I can keep the 99's OEM rims with the S.Drives on them.

Back