SSAFC vs UniChip

Jickywoo

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Thinking about getting either an SSAFC or a UniChip for my MSP. Just want to get your guy's opinions on one vs the other. Are there any pros/cons to either?

Thanks

I'm shopping around like you. I've read that Unichip allows you to advance and retard timing, and can control the boost, but you have to pay someone to tune it for you. SSAFC doesn't control timing but allows you to tune the A/F yourself.

I'm shopping around like you. I've read that Unichip allows you to advance and retard timing, and can control the boost, but you have to pay someone to tune it for you. SSAFC doesn't control timing but allows you to tune the A/F yourself.

SSAFC can be tuned by you or any good tuner. It has to be spliced into your wire harness though. If you really want some type of timing control, there is the SSFTC also. Same thing as the AFC but it has a map for timing as well.
Unichip cannot be tuned by you unless you want to pay for the software which I believe is a pretty penny. It is 100% plug and play, no splicing at all. If you don't have a unichip tuner near you, you will have to send it off to be tuned whenever you get new mods that need tuning. From what I hear from a lot of people, the boost controller that comes with it sucks, so some have used their own boost controller with it. IIRC, it comes with 2 maps. Map A being a conservative tune and Map B being a more aggressive tune with a "13 psi transitory spike" according to the manual I read last. But the unichip is kind of dying out. A lot of people are using the SSAFC over it due to the support on the forum and ease of tuning. There are a few on here though that still use the Unichip.

Also unichip is plug and play. Set it and forget it. Having said that its not tuneable right out the box unless you pay some more money. Doesn't like a relocated MAF. What are your mods?

Last edited:
If you don't have a unichip tuner near you, you will have to send it off to be tuned whenever you get new mods that need tuning.

I never quite understood how they can tune it without your car. Doesn't the Unichip need to be plugged into your car and on the dyno to get tuned?

I also made the decision to go with the SSAFC due to me always changing things. So having the adjustability with the tune is really nice. Just be advised it takes a bit of learning to work with the SSAFC bit it not overly difficult

Wiring in a AFC isn't hard at all. Took me maybe 15 mins total. It comes with the exact instructions for the install.

If you guys do decide on the SSAFC hit me up.

For it to be an accurate and worth while tune IMO yes.

In regards to SSFTC, it only allows you to pull timing. Doesn't allow you to advance timing.

the unit gets reflashed. You tell them what mods you have done to your car. That's one reason why I went with the ssafc. Every car reacts differently to mods. Two cars can have the same mods, install the unichip and get different results. There is nothing better than dyno tuning a car, even street tuning is good. The whole reflash thing you have to do with the unichip is ok, but there is no real time air/fuel monitoring. It's good for most bolt ons, but once you start going into bigger turbos, custom manifolds, meth injection, it really wouldn't work that well. But at the same time, most would swap to a standalone setup by then.

Thanks for all the info guys! My MSP is stock right now and I don't plan on doing much if anything to it. Sounds like the UniChip might be the way to go unless I decide to start upgrading.

Im sort of in this boat now to, except i already have the unichip but am thinkng of findng a trade for the SSAFC. When im hitting boost my car is jerking a bunch, ive heard fuel cut or dumping fuel, or running super rich as possiblites as t why this is happenng. I have unichip installed, a cold air intake and a catless exhaust system. Would the SSAFC benifit me more than the Unichip, letting me change the A/F ratio and making this jerking disapear?

mine also jerks when i hit boost in 2nd gear and its not like i floored it. Sometimes i feel like there are boost leaks, like the turbo is spooling but no pull or power what so ever. This usually happens in 3rd and 4th gear when floored. Will the SSAFC solve this?

I'll kill you...

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Back