car makes weird "knocking" sound when accelerating in 1st

huber

:
2000 Protege SE
hey guys, this is my first post on the forum. so if i have this in the wrong area i didnt intend to.

i came here to ask why my car makes a sort of knocking, or rattling sound when first accelerating from a stop in first gear. im not bagging it right off the start. shifting at 2500-3000 rpms. just "nicely" driving it. only does it in first and gets progressively quicker of a rattle or knocking the faster i go in first. but ive only gone up to 3000 rpm's with it. i have no idea what could have caused it.

thanks, i was going to check my heat shield yesterday, but it was too late in the night, and i was too tired, haha!
thanks!

thanks, i was going to check my heat shield yesterday, but it was too late in the night, and i was too tired, haha!
thanks!

It may be pinging,..which is something the knock-sensor should handle by passing a signal to the ECU to retard the ignition. Pinging sounds just like a bag of bottle-caps being shaken. Just mention it as a possibility :)

JJ

checked the heat shields, nothing, still does it in first. checked cv axels, brakes, shields, nothing. its starting to really tick me off haha.

Back