Installed Headlight LED DRLs

That ebay auction has been bookmarked, and will be one of the first things I get after I pick up my GT. Thanks!

Do the DRL's in the Tech package remain on when the head lights are also on?

The more I think about the use of leds on non-tech the more I wonder if they will ever be acceptable. Even if the issue of voltage was resolved the leds themselves may not be adequate for use as headlights that need to project out for quite a distance. On my aquarium I have 70 3 watt leds and the light output is significantly different as you move from the source to 30 inches away, 20" inches of that is water but it is nice clean water. This has been measured many times by those in this hobby because many of us are growing light sensitive corals. I may just need to find a nice white bulb and forget the leds.

The more I think about the use of leds on non-tech the more I wonder if they will ever be acceptable. Even if the issue of voltage was resolved the leds themselves may not be adequate for use as headlights that need to project out for quite a distance. On my aquarium I have 70 3 watt leds and the light output is significantly different as you move from the source to 30 inches away, 20" inches of that is water but it is nice clean water. This has been measured many times by those in this hobby because many of us are growing light sensitive corals. I may just need to find a nice white bulb and forget the leds.

yeah, they wont work well led technology isn't really there yet (or anytime soon)
the few cars using it for headlights i believe are only using them for lowbeams

I don't even have my car yet but I sense that the DRL's are on the yellow end of the spectrum which makes sense since these lights are being "dimmed" by the lower voltage. I wonder if there is a lamp that will be more white at lower voltage?

Last edited:
I don't even have my car yet but I sense that the DRL's are on the yellow end of the spectrum which makes sense since these lights are being "dimmed" by the lower voltage. I wonder if there is a lamp that will be more white at lower voltage?

most likely not, lights are designed to run at a specific voltage, even the 'whitest' incandescent lights will still be 'dingy' running at lower voltages

My best guess is that someone is going to come up with a design that will incorporate the more efficient leds that put out lots of lumens instead of this 68 emitter stuff that clearly is not very good. They could have an inline controller to route the low voltage to a few leds and when you power up the high beams it would light up the sky. Most people do not use the high beams much, at least I don't, so if they were a little less than "normal" it probably would not be noticeable. It would certainly be a couple of hundred dollars but still a good deal.

Since I ended up getting the GT/Tech I purchased the leds and all I can say it is without a doubt the best thing I have added to date. I highly recommend them for a mere $40+. As previously stated they are a plug and play, took all of 5 min most of which is making sure I wasn't going to break anything.
John

Installed the LEDs this weekend. Easy to do and really liking the look.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 363
Anyone that has a GT w/ tech package notice the LEDs are on very dim after the car is off & stays on for 1-2 min until accessory power turns off? Maybe bc I got some cheap LED bulbs.

Anyone that has a GT w/ tech package notice the LEDs are on very dim after the car is off & stays on for 1-2 min until accessory power turns off? Maybe bc I got some cheap LED bulbs.

yeah thats standard, dont worry about it, i got a lil worried about it, but they go off after a lil while

i think the only reason we see it is because the leds need very little current to light up even partially where an incandescent bulb needs more, so it wouldn't show that residual current in a regular bulb like an led

yeah thats standard, dont worry about it, i got a lil worried about it, but they go off after a lil while

i think the only reason we see it is because the leds need very little current to light up even partially where an incandescent bulb needs more, so it wouldn't show that residual current in a regular bulb like an led
Yeah, that's what I thought. Plus they turned off, so I wasn't worried. No dead battery yet either. I guess it's one indicator that accessory power has turned off.

I have the LED strip DRLs that go at the bottom of the bumper. I believe it takes the power from the harness that would normally light up the ones in the head lamp unit. I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to keep the DRLs on while the engine is running like with Audi and Jaguar etc? I expected them to stay on all the time rather than turning off with the handbrake or headlights on.

88312610151528449561948wv.jpg

Hard wire the hot line under the fuse box.

By the way, my 60 SMD LED P13W DRL unit decided to fry itself today. 4 weeks of regular usage.

The LEDs look nice. Is it just held by double sided tape?
I wish we had headlight washers & parking sensors standard. Makes the CX-5 look more upscale.
By the way, my 60 SMD LED P13W DRL unit decided to fry itself today. 4 weeks of regular usage.
Sux, maybe you can get a warranty replacement? Mine's about 4 weeks old too, from eBay. Hopefully they hold up.

The LEDs look nice. Is it just held by double sided tape?
I wish we had headlight washers & parking sensors standard. Makes the CX-5 look more upscale.

Sux, maybe you can get a warranty replacement? Mine's about 4 weeks old too, from eBay. Hopefully they hold up.

I'm sure most if not all the 60 SMD units are made by the same manufacturer with the same low standards of quality. Seeing all of them are the same exact units from semi-reputable (non-VLED) vendors, Amazon/ebay sellers, etc.

I ordered on Amazon and filed for a return/exchange. The seller is willing to give a replacement. According to reviews of the 60 SMD P13W units, many have fried within weeks.

BTW, those DRL on that specific Euro bumper is available in Europe as an OEM accessory (not cheap mind you). Their bumpers have dedicated holes/mounts for said DRL. The quality and aesthetics do match the price I must say. They actually have lenses on each LED to project the light wider. I hate those parts store LED tapes that make it obvious they are an after thought done by the consumer.

Latest posts

Back